Sponsored

2021 Mach 1 CONFIRMED in Leaked Ford Document!!!

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
I guess a lot of it will depend on who is in charge of the program and how much they 'get' the Mach 1 and what it means to enthusiasts.
Sponsored

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Navi, Cobra, Murauder and Mach1 all have the same exact exhaust cam. Aviator probably does too.
Yea, I always thought the previous Mach1 had basically just the Terminatorā€™s engine without the supercharger...? Iā€™d love to see the same with the Predator... or the Voodoo paired with the A10 or a DCT.

Reactions: JWS

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The infrastructure issue is really only applicable to battery electric vehicles. I expect that whatever Ford does with a hybrid Mustang will be a hybrid, not a plug-in hybrid. The battery would be somewhere in the 1.8 - 2.2 kWh size, so not too heavy. For comparison, a Toyota Prius uses a 2.16 kWh battery. A Chevrolet Bolt BEV uses a 66 kWh battery. The Bolt needs infrastructure (sort of) while the Prius does not. The Mach E will need infrastructure (sort of) while a Mustang Hybrid will not. I say ā€œsort ofā€ because the only time a Bolt or a Mach E will need infrastructure is for trips longer than their full battery range (238 miles for Bolt, 300+ for Mach E). Otherwise, they can recharge at home. People who canā€™t recharge at home shouldnā€™t buy one.

A Mustang with an electric motor between the engine and transmission would be able to drive for short distances at low speed with the engine off. Saves fuel. They would also get pretty decent launch assist from the electric motor, with full e-motor torque at 0 rpm. That could be fun. Most of the added weight would be from the electric motor, not the battery. I would expect it would use the same system used in the Explorer Hybrid. Hereā€™s a review with specs of the Explorer Hybrid system.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...rer-hybrid-first-drive-review-muscle-over-mpg
Not really sure how Ford will use a hybrid in a Mustang and keep the costs down in line with performance gains. Isn't the role of a hybrid system to boost MPG more so than boost performance? Not saying you won't get some gains from the electric motor, but I believe most hybrids exist to boost MPG...at least as the big reason to use them. I would only be interested in a hybrid Mustang if the performance was much higher, across the RPM range. If it is just going to cut a tenth or two and add 5 MPG as well as adding 10grand or more, no thanks.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Yea, I always thought the previous Mach1 had basically just the Terminatorā€™s engine without the supercharger...? Iā€™d love to see the same with the Predator... or the Voodoo paired with the A10 or a DCT.
Terminator had an iron block with low compression forged pistons - it was a different beast.

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
Navi, Cobra, Murauder and Mach1 all have the same exact exhaust cam. Aviator probably does too.
Aviator and Marauder had the same engine as the automatic equiped Mach 1s. Stick equipped Machs had a different crankshaft. They exhaust cams were different from all the Cobras in order to enhance low end torque.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
The aluminator only makes 580hp with long tube headers and race fuel. It wonā€™t make anywhere near that number built for ā€˜streetā€™ use.
Not to mention that it costs $22,599.00

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Not really sure how Ford will use a hybrid in a Mustang and keep the costs down in line with performance gains. Isn't the role of a hybrid system to boost MPG more so than boost performance? Not saying you won't get some gains from the electric motor, but I believe most hybrids exist to boost MPG...at least as the big reason to use them. I would only be interested in a hybrid Mustang if the performance was much higher, across the RPM range. If it is just going to cut a tenth or two and add 5 MPG as well as adding 10grand or more, no thanks.
They can do both. The top level Porsche Panamera is the Panamera Turbo S e Hybrid. Until the Taycan it was Porcheā€™s best competitor to the Model S P100D. Thatā€™s an extreme example, but thatā€™s because weā€™re still in the early days of e-motors for performance. A better example will be when Corvette introduces a hybrid based AWD model.

105B150C-2CC3-46CF-8281-171A308B909A.jpeg

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
It would be a lot cheaper if Ford put it in the mach 1, just subtract the full retail price of a gen 3 coyote engine from that 22,599 price

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
It depends on the set-up in regards to power vs mpg. In a prius the focus is obviously mpg, in an NSX and Porsche 918 the focus is performance.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
The thought of buying a Mustang with a real big block is exciting. It can't happen, I realize. But us old guys that owned cars with 390, 427, 428, 429 Ford muscle cars know that the large displacement cars have a noise no small block can emulate. I can say for certain if the 7.3 made it into a Mustang I would buy it. Not logical. I also owned a 383 roadrunner. There is a reason why Mopar keeps making basically the same car for the last 12 years. Their big block engines have that sound and feeling and torque down low that only a supercharged small block can give. But, the sound is not the same.
I love my Mustangs. Just saying that the big block of yore is something you have to own and drive to experience. The exhaust note is unique.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
They can do both. The top level Porsche Panamera is the Panamera Turbo S e Hybrid. Until the Taycan it was Porcheā€™s best competitor to the Model S P100D. Thatā€™s an extreme example, but thatā€™s because weā€™re still in the early days of e-motors for performance. A better example will be when Corvette introduces a hybrid based AWD model.

105B150C-2CC3-46CF-8281-171A308B909A.jpeg
Ok, so you are comparing those cars to a Mustang? Do you really think someone is going to pay that much for a Mach 1. It is not cheap to make a fast hybrid, much cheaper to make an economical one. I doubt you will see one for this very reason. If you want an economical Mustang, get the HiPo model. Or you will need to pay a lot for probably modest performance gains. I am sure Ford can make a hybrid Mustang to take out the GT500, but it will absolutely cost a lot more.
Sponsored