Trading in a 2018 10spd for 2020 6spd

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Well one plus for me, with the MT the wife wont be bugging me to drive the Mustang to girls night out like she did with the AT Mustang. She scares me when I ride in her car, and it's an AT.
Sponsored

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
When I bought my car new in 15', I bought it because of the color mostly and the new s550 body style, updated interior, IRS, etc. I had a SRT8 Charger that was obviously an auto and I loved it with the autostick. That car was highly modified and got totaled so I was looking for a new ride that wasn't a 4-door. I wasn't looking specifically to buy a stick shift car, but I fell in love with the color and this is what it came with. Now after driving it for 5 years and paying it off, I'm not going to sell it just to buy a newer A10 car. I still love my Comp Orange stick GT and will make it the show car I always wanted with FI. I'm sure rowing the gears with a SC will be challenging, but hey, the Man Trans is here to stay :)

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I drove both auto and manual and I bought the manual. I’d do it again... I think... some times I get the itch to drag race (even bought a drag pack) just to run some low/mid 11’s. But 2 years and 8k it’s just a weekend toy. I know which car is faster, and if I really cared I wouldn’t have bought a 6 speed fully loaded car. I drove a A10 last month that’s got pretty much the same as me, e85 and all and it was faster no doubt, but it just was... bland... there wasn’t that raw oh shit feeling I get out of my car sometimes. Not the “I fEeL cOnNeCtEd To My CaR” bs. But just a raw almost wild feeling in the car that the auto didn’t give.
I think if I was standing I front of both exactly like mine is now I’d still pick the manual.

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (Velocity Blue)
How many people are serious enough about having a MT to accept that becoming the extra-cost option over the AT? How much more would you be willing to spend for it?
I'd absolutely be willing to pay a premium for a manual option, as long as the manufacturer didn't deliberately make the transmission a POS to further push sales toward the automatic and then say "See? We offered you a manual and hardly any of you bought one so apparently no one wants a manual anymore." No, we want GOOD manuals.

Anyways, as far as how much, I think it depends on the car and price range. Under $30k I'd be fine with spending up to another $1k for a manual. $30k-$60k, up to $2k. If I have the money for something over six figures, what's another $5k-$10k.

I know everyone is different, but in my case, I don't care about bragging rights and bench racing: I buy what's most fun and engaging for me, and the main must-have for that is a manual transmission.

If all I cared about was numbers, I wouldn't have placed an order for a 350, considering that there are quicker cars for the money.

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
If COVID-19 hadn’t come along, I would have traded my 2019 A10 for a manual. I miss the third pedal.

Sponsored

Erratikmind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Prem M6/401A/PP1/MR, '19 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Have always had a 3 pedal vehicle since I was 17. When looking for another car, performance and NA were a requirement. First and foremost, a manual was at the start of the equation.

Personally, my love of driving, just to drive, is directly related to the experience that is afforded by a manual trans equipped car. At 60, that has not changed a bit.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I drove both auto and manual and I bought the manual. I’d do it again... I think... some times I get the itch to drag race (even bought a drag pack) just to run some low/mid 11’s. But 2 years and 8k it’s just a weekend toy. I know which car is faster, and if I really cared I wouldn’t have bought a 6 speed fully loaded car. I drove a A10 last month that’s got pretty much the same as me, e85 and all and it was faster no doubt, but it just was... bland... there wasn’t that raw oh shit feeling I get out of my car sometimes. Not the “I fEeL cOnNeCtEd To My CaR” bs. But just a raw almost wild feeling in the car that the auto didn’t give.
I think if I was standing I front of both exactly like mine is now I’d still pick the manual.
Did you drive it in manual mode? The best thing is to have one of each :)

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Did you drive it in manual mode? The best thing is to have one of each :)
I spent a few hours in it, tried manual mode and drag mode and race and he showed how he roll races by taking out of manual when he floors it and stuff.
I have no doubts it’s faster car. It is.. it’s no contest when we race each other. Maybe his has more to do with the mp4s tires and my Nitto G2 tires, but even on my MT it still... crazy sometimes.. his auto was just fast lol

I agree, having both would be best of both worlds.... I wish I could swap trans as fast as I could swap tires lol

jkulysses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
The only reason I didn't go with a manual in my 2019 gt is because it seems to be the weak link in these cars. I read so many bad reviews about it & supposedly it's even made in freaking China. I also wa wanted auto start as this is my daily driver.

Pilafiction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
When I bought my car new in 15', I bought it because of the color mostly and the new s550 body style, updated interior, IRS, etc. I had a SRT8 Charger that was obviously an auto and I loved it with the autostick. That car was highly modified and got totaled so I was looking for a new ride that wasn't a 4-door. I wasn't looking specifically to buy a stick shift car, but I fell in love with the color and this is what it came with. Now after driving it for 5 years and paying it off, I'm not going to sell it just to buy a newer A10 car. I still love my Comp Orange stick GT and will make it the show car I always wanted with FI. I'm sure rowing the gears with a SC will be challenging, but hey, the Man Trans is here to stay :)
I can relate...I grabbed a '15 comp orange gt with 6 spd last year. Car was stashed for years cause it only had 742 miles. The gear ratios in the '15-'17 (I think thats the years) are more favorable than today's 6spd. There's vid on YouTube. Only change I made so far is the midpipe... Borla switchfire is do much better than stock.

Sponsored

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
I can relate...I grabbed a '15 comp orange gt with 6 spd last year. Car was stashed for years cause it only had 742 miles. The gear ratios in the '15-'17 (I think thats the years) are more favorable than today's 6spd. There's vid on YouTube. Only change I made so far is the midpipe... Borla switchfire is do much better than stock.
Pretty sure you can change the ratios when ordering; at least you were able to on 15-17 models

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I love the MT-82.. dunno why you guys harp on it so much. Yeah yeah I heard it all, learn to drive it properly, and you'll love it. Why do you think Porsche brought back the manual for 2020 haha.

My manual needed to be replaced at 19k. Service manager said it was defective nothing showed any abuse. Manuals since 1996.

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Don't, all the manual are flooding market and none wants to buy them for a good reason. Weak point of the car mt82 sucks and a10 annihilate you on a drag race.

If you want to drive manual and the subject is not debatable you have your mind set, let me give you an advice and try to opt for a gt350 instead to get a better trans to begin with and a really special character car.

My 2 cents. have fun
Sponsored