Sponsored

There's no cat-back exhaust that can fit convertible?

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium (Lightning Blue)
Hi everyone,

I have a question about putting cat-back exhaust to a convertible.
I know some people said they are able to tight fit magnaflow street edition cat-back on their convertibles but they also mentioned their mechanics had to made some mod to get it fit.

Is there any other cat-back exhaust you guys have heard of that can fit into a convertible?

Please kindly let me know.

Philip
Sponsored

Deleted member

Who told you this? The exhaust system and mounting points are no different than a coupe. If you order a full system the bends will clear the convertible rear chassis brace no problem. You may have to remove part of the brace to make install easier though.
Coupe-Conv-exhaust-comparison (1).jpg

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Who told you this? The exhaust system and mounting points are no different than a coupe. If you order a full system the bends will clear the convertible rear chassis brace no problem. You may have to remove part of the brace to make install easier though.
Hi Jack, I checked on other forum and also AmericanMuscle reviews, they said they can only fit tight 2.50" because of the brace. They said its best if there is any cat-back with smaller tube like 2.25" or else it will cause vibration noise...

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I used a hydraulic press to take some of the bends out of my convertible bracing. After that, I was able to mount the Borla system in mine. I'm sure 2018 is the same.

There aren't any options that I know of that will mount straight up unless you do axle-back.

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I used a hydraulic press to take some of the bends out of my convertible bracing. After that, I was able to mount the Borla system in mine. I'm sure 2018 is the same.

There aren't any options that I know of that will mount straight up unless you do axle-back.
Hi Robert,

Since I am new in Mustangs in general, may I ask if I do any axle back with Y-pipe from Roush, would that kinda be like a full cat-back system? (Please see below link)

https://www.roushperformance.com/pa...ts-category/2015-mustang-ecoboost-y-pipe.html

Thank you.

Philip

Sponsored

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
This image shows exactly why most exhausts don't fit on the convertibles. See the crazy bend that goes up and over the extra bracing? That isn't in most (maybe all) of the aftermarket setups.

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Hi Robert,

Since I am new in Mustangs in general, may I ask if I do any axle back with Y-pipe from Roush, would that kinda be like a full cat-back system? (Please see below link)

https://www.roushperformance.com/pa...ts-category/2015-mustang-ecoboost-y-pipe.html

Thank you.

Philip
You're still going over the bracing, which is what causes the issues. You'll need to get something that is designed for convertibles or just settle for the axle back. But to answer your question, I think you'd be missing a section of pipe between the Y pipe and the axle back.

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
You're still going over the bracing, which is what causes the issues. You'll need to get something that is designed for convertibles or just settle for the axle back. But to answer your question, I think you'd be missing a section of pipe between the Y pipe and the axle back.
Hi Robert,

I think if I order the Roush axle back and the y-pipe, I think the Y-pipe will be connecting what on top of the brace and then the axle back... No?
I think the Y-Pipe can be connected to that curve before the axle back?
Also, on the Roush site, it mentions this Y-pipe works for the convertible. I know they mention their cat-back will not fit convertible

-.- Im really noob in this... Urghhh...

Philip

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
that might work... you'll have to be pretty accurate with your cuts to get everything to match up.

With the amount of work you're doing, I'd be tempted to just go to an exhaust shop and get something custom. It'd be cheaper and probably better.

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
that might work... you'll have to be pretty accurate with your cuts to get everything to match up.

With the amount of work you're doing, I'd be tempted to just go to an exhaust shop and get something custom. It'd be cheaper and probably better.
Hi Robert,

(-____-) I am thinking to just order the y-pipe and the axle-back through the Roush dealer and let them figure it out...

Its not like I dont wanna go to custom shop, its just Im scared I will get scammed...

Philip

Sponsored

Deleted member

This image shows exactly why most exhausts don't fit on the convertibles. See the crazy bend that goes up and over the extra bracing? That isn't in most (maybe all) of the aftermarket setups.
Apologies I wasnt looking at that bend just the mounting locations, shouldn't be anything a muffler shop couldn't cut and reweld a extra bend into any cat back that is meant for a coupe.

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Apologies I wasnt looking at that bend just the mounting locations, shouldn't be anything a muffler shop couldn't cut and reweld a extra bend into any cat back that is meant for a coupe.
Yeah... I mean I've done this install, and bending the bracing is really easy.

Here is the issue:
exhaust-vs-brace-jpg.jpg

If you just flatten out that bendy bit in the bracing, it's all gravy.

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Have you considered just deleting the resonator and mufflers?
Hi John -.-, idk where to find a shop to do that... But I just asked Roush dealer, they told me they can install axle back and install the y-pipe for me, they said it will have same result as the cat back... something like that...

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Hi John -.-, idk where to find a shop to do that... But I just asked Roush dealer, they told me they can install axle back and install the y-pipe for me, they said it will have same result as the cat back... something like that...
Go to any muffler shop and just tell them you want to delete your resonator and muffler.
Give them a pair of 9" resonated tips to weld on

Polished
https://www.carid.com/different-trend/hi-polished-series-tip-2-25-id-4-od-9-length-mpn-dt-24147.html

or black
https://www.carid.com/different-tre...tip-2-25-id-4-od-9-length-mpn-dt-24147bk.html

or you can keep your stock tips.
Should be cheaper and sound just as good as any catback.
Sponsored