Sponsored

2018-2019 Mustang I4 Ecoboost with Roush Axle-Back Exhaust

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium (Lightning Blue)
Hi everyone,

I have ordered a Roush axle-back exhaust from a Roush dealer. I have zero knowledge in axle-back exhaust until I have watched more videos to find out how loud that is... However, most of the videos are all for the ecoboost from 2015-2017 V6 engines, and my car is the 2018+ I4 ecoboost mustang convertible. If anyone has the 2018+ ecoboost with Roush axle-back exhaust, please kindly share some sound clips...

I am debating whether I should cancel the order with the Roush dealer I ordered and ask for refund with (restocking fee+shipping fee) excluded from the refund.

I would love to have some sporty sound but based on sound clip i watched from youtube, majority of them with Roush Axle-back exhaust is super loud. Of course like I said, I have not seen any video which is with the 2018+ ecoboost so I cant tell if the sound will not be as loud as the V6?

If I do install this Roush Axle-back exhaust, I will be keeping everything stock with just this exhaust, would that help reduce the loudness?
Sponsored

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
Do you mind sharing the link to the exact exhaust system you bought? If you're not doing anything except the axleback, the volume should be pretty tame. Mine got substantially louder after I installed an aftermarket downpipe.

I can't say I have the exact setup but I'm running a Roush quad-tip system with a Mishimoto downpipe and it's pretty loud but deep for a i4. I love the tone and I get compliments on it all the time.

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Do you mind sharing the link to the exact exhaust system you bought? If you're not doing anything except the axleback, the volume should be pretty tame. Mine got substantially louder after I installed an aftermarket downpipe.

I can't say I have the exact setup but I'm running a Roush quad-tip system with a Mishimoto downpipe and it's pretty loud but deep for a i4. I love the tone and I get compliments on it all the time.
Hi RedWolfe, here is the link...

https://www.roushperformance.com/pa...y/2015-mustang-3-7l-v6-exhaust-kit-round.html

Jamse-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang Ecoboost, 03 GT Convertible, 93 Foxbody GT
I recently upgraded the exhaust. Unfortunately it is difficult with any 4cyl to have them sound decent. I have backgrounds in Imports and Domestics. Your best bet is to do the resonator delete. It does increase the sound and less back pressure for the turbo. I went with the MRT resonator delete. I high recommend getting it welded the clamps just do a poor job in the long run.
6CC193BE-2CB0-41BE-91D3-059FC0734B58.jpeg
03BCC123-9486-49BD-9A19-A353DA9AB012.jpeg
C82738EA-5023-4F44-9D79-F0556FD2129E.jpeg

Deleted member

Hi everyone,

I have ordered a Roush axle-back exhaust from a Roush dealer. I have zero knowledge in axle-back exhaust until I have watched more videos to find out how loud that is... However, most of the videos are all for the ecoboost from 2015-2017 V6 engines, and my car is the 2018+ I4 ecoboost mustang convertible. If anyone has the 2018+ ecoboost with Roush axle-back exhaust, please kindly share some sound clips...

I am debating whether I should cancel the order with the Roush dealer I ordered and ask for refund with (restocking fee+shipping fee) excluded from the refund.

I would love to have some sporty sound but based on sound clip i watched from youtube, majority of them with Roush Axle-back exhaust is super loud. Of course like I said, I have not seen any video which is with the 2018+ ecoboost so I cant tell if the sound will not be as loud as the V6?

If I do install this Roush Axle-back exhaust, I will be keeping everything stock with just this exhaust, would that help reduce the loudness?
The exhaust is gonna sound the same for a 2015-2017 as it will a 2018+ not sure why you think it's gonna sound different.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube of eco's with the roush axle back...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mustang+ecoboost+roush+axle+back

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Has anyone tried a Fiat Abarth muffler on a ecoboost four Mustang ? I love the Abarth muffler sound of the Fiat 500 Abarth.

Jamse-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
1.5 turbo same engine as the Abarth 124. They do sound fantastic from the factory. As previously stated the firing order and L engines are really hard to sound great. Very few 4 cylinder cars that I have had can overcome the dreaded drone. It is the single header to exhaust set up. My 2015 WRX Sounded fantastic again horizontal engine. Turbos love no back pressure. It is finding the setup with the least amount of drone.

That being said I can assure you v6 and Dohc v8 also suffer from drone at lower rpms and a small resonator helps when going to a larger diameter piping. I am content with the stock piping MRT resonator delete with the Pypes axle back. Borla Touring wasn’t available. Is there some drone yes but I have had other cars that I went back to stock cause the drone was piercing.

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
1.5 turbo same engine as the Abarth 124. They do sound fantastic from the factory. As previously stated the firing order and L engines are really hard to sound great. Very few 4 cylinder cars that I have had can overcome the dreaded drone. It is the single header to exhaust set up. My 2015 WRX Sounded fantastic again horizontal engine. Turbos love no back pressure. It is finding the setup with the least amount of drone.

That being said I can assure you v6 and Dohc v8 also suffer from drone at lower rpms and a small resonator helps when going to a larger diameter piping. I am content with the stock piping MRT resonator delete with the Pypes axle back. Borla Touring wasn’t available. Is there some drone yes but I have had other cars that I went back to stock cause the drone was piercing.
Hey Jimmy, I have the AWE Touring Axle-back right now. I am loving the sound, but I heard installing a y-pipe can help to let the car breathe better regardless if there is performance gain or not. But still.. -.- Im worried about the drone...

Jamse-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
You will have some drone for sure once you remove the resonator. That is the problem I am sure others on this forum have that set up. I can deal with mine at this point as I said I have had set up with other cars where it droned so bad that it was piercing. I can live with this set up and it has grown on me.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Jimmy, I have the AWE Touring Axle-back right now. I am loving the sound, but I heard installing a y-pipe can help to let the car breathe better regardless if there is performance gain or not. But still.. -.- Im worried about the drone...
The exhaust themselves are resonators, beefy ones as you know. AWE told me they shouldn't drone when I asked about removing the resonator in mid section, I chanced it, No regrets.

If anyone would drone it would be me though, I have 3.31 gears, and im always in the 2000k rpm area where would be drone zone on highway, but I don't have any, its quiet and I listen to music. when I gas it I can hear the exhaust, but otherwise nope. quiet unless want it to not be.

Message AWE and ask their opinion. Compare our resonator/muffler. to say MBRP race. that is just a straight through pipe basically, ours has a lot of packing in them, and beefy resonating cans.

comparison sake here you go. Phillip

MBRP race = small resonator mufflers/basically nothing. and prob cheap packing/not dense.

AWE told me they use high quality packing, and its super stuffed in there, and theirs won't break down over time, unlike the cheaper packings that some others use. Combine that with it being a stout resonator, I went for it and I love it. I also had the same exact concerns as you.
389214.jpeg
3_eco_ab_2.jpg
1_eco_ab_under_1.png

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If my car drones, I do not hear it. I am used to quiet cars, Scion tC, corolla and Camry. But ive already tossed 20k miles on since I installed my AWE, and like 10-15k of those with resonator delete. Cant say I noticed any difference than volume being louder under wot and idle.

but honestly if you have concerns, just drive it let it break in. Then decide, its only a week or two of driving id imagine

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
If my car drones, I do not hear it. I am used to quiet cars, Scion tC, corolla and Camry. But ive already tossed 20k miles on since I installed my AWE, and like 10-15k of those with resonator delete. Cant say I noticed any difference than volume being louder under wot and idle.

but honestly if you have concerns, just drive it let it break in. Then decide, its only a week or two of driving id imagine
Hi Donald!!!! I did it!!! Roush Y-pipe with AWE Touring! I mean, theres little drone but not in 10th gear cruising.. It sounds like a V8 right now.. Its so deep!!!

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
You will have some drone for sure once you remove the resonator. That is the problem I am sure others on this forum have that set up. I can deal with mine at this point as I said I have had set up with other cars where it droned so bad that it was piercing. I can live with this set up and it has grown on me.

I recently upgraded the exhaust. Unfortunately it is difficult with any 4cyl to have them sound decent. I have backgrounds in Imports and Domestics. Your best bet is to do the resonator delete. It does increase the sound and less back pressure for the turbo. I went with the MRT resonator delete. I high recommend getting it welded the clamps just do a poor job in the long run.
6CC193BE-2CB0-41BE-91D3-059FC0734B58.jpeg
03BCC123-9486-49BD-9A19-A353DA9AB012.jpeg
C82738EA-5023-4F44-9D79-F0556FD2129E.jpeg
Hey Jimmy, I did it! With Roush Y-pipe. With AWE Touring, it sounds so deep like a V8, Im not even lying here -.-. One coworker of mine has a V8 park next to me today, he was like damn, thats a V8 rumble sound.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Donald!!!! I did it!!! Roush Y-pipe with AWE Touring! I mean, theres little drone but not in 10th gear cruising.. It sounds like a V8 right now.. Its so deep!!!
Oh dude I’m sorry. I didn’t know you had 10 gears, I have 6 speed, manual. I don’t hear droning on highway, @ 2k rpm with 3.31

Not sure how that compares to 10th speed overdrive.

But I love the increase in sound, it sounds deeper, it’s a clean sound, it pops off wot just a little, I’ve had a few people say it’s the nicest sounding ecoboost they’ve ever heard.

The roush y pipe, thing was beefy wasn’t it? I was kinda upset paying 200+ for a y pipe, but after I got it and realized how damn nice it was. I wasn’t mad at all. I might one day have it welded, I just have them clamped on at the moment per instructions.
Sponsored