Sponsored

2018-2020 Mustang 2.3L ROUSH Performance Pac - Level 1

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium (Lightning Blue)
Hi Team,

This is Philip. I have just bought a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium two weeks ago. I have ordered Roush axle-back exhaust. My question here is I saw it on Roush site, they offer this 2018-2020 Mustang Ecoboost Performance Pac - Level 1 which is their cold air intake plus a calibration tool.

I know by getting just their Roush Cold Air Intake will not void the factory warranty. But what about this peformance pack 1? Also, lets say if I do not mind voiding my factory warranty by getting this. Will this really going to hurt my engine or turbo in long run if I only drive normal and never race.

Also, I heard people saying to put K&N air filer can help cooling the engine. So, if I only get Roush Cold Air Intake, can I still also put K&N air filter? I am new to the car mechanism in general.

Please kindly let me know.

Philip
Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Welcome to the forum. The best you can hope for is a gain of 30 HP. The cost benefit is your decision. Generally, a CAI update is useless without a tune. Dropping a K&N filter into the factory CAI adds a little improvement to performance and Ford has no problem with it. If you add a tune, Ford will know. There's a lot of dealer/warranty discussions here so use the search feature.

Enjoy your new ride.

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the forum. The best you can hope for is a gain of 30 HP. The cost benefit is your decision. Generally, a CAI update is useless without a tune. Dropping a K&N filter into the factory CAI adds a little improvement to performance and Ford has no problem with it. If you add a tune, Ford will know. There's a lot of dealer/warranty discussions here so use the search feature.

Enjoy your new ride.
Hi Lacanteen, so you are basically saying I might as well just put K&N air filter to stock CAI and call it a day, especially in my case of I dont really race other than just daily drive only. So I basically not just saving money but also not ruining the factory warranty.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
Hi Lacanteen, so you are basically saying I might as well just put K&N air filter to stock CAI and call it a day, especially in my case of I dont really race other than just daily drive only. So I basically not just saving money but also not ruining the factory warranty.
As far as performance goes, yes. Since you have the '18 premium, you have the digital dash and drive mode toggles? If so, try driving in S which is one click on the shifter from drive, or S+ which is the first toggle mode. That will wake up the throttle response and give you the boost that 30 HP won't. In either drive mode if you have the A10 tranny you will notice more aggressive shifting in the power band and satisfying rev-matching down shifts.

Warning: You will get to 60MPH fast, either from rolling or stopped. Don't get too many tickets. :):clap:

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
As far as performance goes, yes. Since you have the '18 premium, you have the digital dash and drive mode toggles? If so, try driving in S which is one click on the shifter from drive, or S+ which is the first toggle mode. That will wake up the throttle response and give you the boost that 30 HP won't. In either drive mode if you have the A10 tranny you will notice more aggressive shifting in the power band and satisfying rev-matching down shifts.

Warning: You will get to 60MPH fast, either from rolling or stopped. Don't get too many tickets. :):clap:
Hi Lacanteen, got it! I will have someone professional mechanic to help me install the K&N air filer into the stock CAI call it a day. That way I dont have to worry about all these warranty issues. Thank you so much! (-.-) This is my first sedan also sporty vehicle, I have been driving like 0-60 in like 9s basically... Im scared I will crash -.- so I doubt I will even get a speeding ticket...

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Sorry to barge in;

If you decide to do the CAI & tune, IF there is an engine failure, warranty coverage could be denied. And most likely so. However, a tune wouldn't effect the rest of the warranty at all. Ford cannot "void" or "cancel" your warrant due to a tune, they can only deny a warranty repair if they can prove that the modification caused the failure.

But....

What you are looking at is a "canned" tune, and it's perfectly safe as long as you use the correct octane fuel. I've had my first 3 Mustangs tuned, and there were 0 issues.

If you get a 30HP bump from Roush's tune and CAI, that's something you'll feel. And I'd assume their tune also helps the transmission, if you have the automatic trans.

As far as a K&N filter, I'd skip it and stick with the factory filter. There's been plenty of tests showing K&Ns do next to nothing, and you run the risk of gumming up the MAFS with the oils on the K&N filter. The factory/OEM CAI & filter is actually quite good, so the after-market stuff does basically nothing.

So it's pointless to change your intake unless you're also tuning the engine. And you might also consider getting the engine tuned, and keep the factory/OEM CAI, as they really are quite good.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
1Ys8xcG.gif
Yep, what he said. If you're feeling spirited, you can get those 0-60 times under 5 seconds. Enjoy the car.

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
Hi Lacanteen, got it! I will have someone professional mechanic to help me install the K&N air filer into the stock CAI call it a day. That way I dont have to worry about all these warranty issues. Thank you so much! (-.-) This is my first sedan also sporty vehicle, I have been driving like 0-60 in like 9s basically... Im scared I will crash -.- so I doubt I will even get a speeding ticket...
K&N filter...bought mine in Autozone. Remove cheap Ford filter and install it. It will take you less than 2 min. Clean it every 6 months and you’re good to go.

Start driving more spirited in dry and hot conditions, then go from there. Btw stock tires suck, be careful in rainy and/or cold days/night.

I had a small accident on mine last month. First ticket and accident in 15yrs and it wasn’t from speeding, maybe 5mph:cwl:. Front bumper, hood and 2 headlights was around 9k in materials, paint and work. Nothing was broken other than plastic and a little corner of the hood (insurance covered a new hood:clap:). It’s almost ready to go back on the road and can’t wait to drive her again.

Enjoy the car and empty roads ahead! ☺

Jamse-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang Ecoboost, 03 GT Convertible, 93 Foxbody GT
I picked up a 19 Ecoboost A10 for my daily. Ford Performance has a tune available that is covered by the factory warranty as long as it is installed at the Ford Dealer or an ASE Certified Mechanic. I had my done at Tasca Ford. If I was to purchase the Ford Racing Tune and K&N Drop in from them it would have cost me $650. They allowed me to purchase mine at LMR which I bought for $411 and was charged an hour labor. The shifts have improved dramatically and you can only use 91 or higher octane. I will tell you a fantastic upgrade and the car drives much better on the street and for me piece of mind. More so than the hp the torque is what changes the dynamics. As a former owner of a 2015 WRX I will tell you it is fantastic to have Ford give us this.
484FFE63-4F19-43F7-B3DF-2B7511AD1B44.jpeg

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I picked up a 19 Ecoboost A10 for my daily. Ford Performance has a tune available that is covered by the factory warranty as long as it is installed at the Ford Dealer or an ASE Certified Mechanic. I had my done at Tasca Ford. If I was to purchase the Ford Racing Tune and K&N Drop in from them it would have cost me $650. They allowed me to purchase mine at LMR which I bought for $411 and was charged an hour labor. The shifts have improved dramatically and you can only use 91 or higher octane. I will tell you a fantastic upgrade and the car drives much better on the street and for me piece of mind. More so than the hp the torque is what changes the dynamics. As a former owner of a 2015 WRX I will tell you it is fantastic to have Ford give us this.
484FFE63-4F19-43F7-B3DF-2B7511AD1B44.jpeg
Hi Jimmy, thanks for the information. I have been contacting Sound Ford (near where i live) about Ford Performance Calibration Kit for 2018-2020 ecoboost, but they never respond back. Also, i dont know how it works with Ford Performance. So do i go into ford dealership and asking them to order the part and then i come in and install it?
Please kindly let me know.
Thank you.

Sponsored

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I was told by my dealer that they don't have a problem with the warranty when using a CAI, as long as it is a NON oiled filter. They will decline engine damage if there is an OIL type air filter in the housing.

Jamse-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang Ecoboost, 03 GT Convertible, 93 Foxbody GT
Tasca Ford has an in-house mod shop. Issue is a lot of times dealers make money on the kit with a suggested retail of $650. Tasca Ford I called and spoke with one of the mechanics and they had no issue with me purchasing the kit brand new from elsewhere. Not all dealers have techs that download the tune. After it was installed my Vin was registered through Tasca so if a future issue arises I will be covered under the factory warranty. You could ask to speak with the service advisor and see if they will do the tune and if you could bring in the kit brand new. https://lmr.com/item/M9603M4C/musta...MIt66jp4Xm5wIVF5SzCh13WAn6EAQYASABEgI98vD_BwE

You can use the LMR6 for 6 percent off. Other times they have 7 percent t off depending on their current sales.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
The Roush tune won't void your powertrain warranty but it will cut down to 3 years. The tune will need to be done at a dealer to keep the remaining warranty

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Tasca Ford has an in-house mod shop. Issue is a lot of times dealers make money on the kit with a suggested retail of $650. Tasca Ford I called and spoke with one of the mechanics and they had no issue with me purchasing the kit brand new from elsewhere. Not all dealers have techs that download the tune. After it was installed my Vin was registered through Tasca so if a future issue arises I will be covered under the factory warranty. You could ask to speak with the service advisor and see if they will do the tune and if you could bring in the kit brand new. https://lmr.com/item/M9603M4C/musta...MIt66jp4Xm5wIVF5SzCh13WAn6EAQYASABEgI98vD_BwE

You can use the LMR6 for 6 percent off. Other times they have 7 percent t off depending on their current sales.
Hi Jimmy, so Bowen Scarff Ford-Lincoln has get back to me saying they will help me install as long as I get the correct kit which is from Ford Performance.

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)

Hi Jimmy,

I have just purchased the 2018-19 Calibration kit from LMR. I should get it in two days.. May I ask what are the labor cost for you when you did it with Tasca Ford to install that? Also, how do I be sure they have do it correctly, I assuming they wont even let me go to the back where they service the car. I basically worried they will tell me they did it without actually sucessfully install the calibration.
Sponsored