Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT 3-4 shift fork broke

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
@Cobra Jet he definitely has experience in this area. But if you DO go that route - you're going to end up with the same dealership who screwed this up (multiple times) installing the new transmission. By techs getting yelled at by their bosses.
I'd call another local Ford Service Department - get the Service manager on the phone and tell him what's going on. You might be shocked what a competing dealer would do to help.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Short shifter can exert additional forces onto the forks.
Hummm ... seems I could put a lot more force into the shifting mechanism with a 2 ft long shifter vs a 4 inch shifter. Longer the lever arm, the more force applied on the other end of the fulcrum.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Hummm ... seems I could put a lot more force into the shifting mechanism with a 2 ft long shifter vs a 4 inch shifter. Longer the lever arm, the more force applied on the other end of the fulcrum.
The amount the shift forks move does not change. The difference will be how fast they move. Since you're able to shift faster with a short throw shifter, the force is exhorted in a shorter time period than with a longer motion. At the end of the day, you're right about being able to leverage more force with a longer lever, but the point I was making was about the force being applied in a shorter time span.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ To add, a longer shifter lever arm from the fulcrum gives a higher force on the opposite end of the mechanism. Of course pulling the shift lever faster means more force is being used to do so. But in a situatiin where the shifter was moved at the same exact speed, a driver would have to put more force on a shorter shifter in order to get the same force on the shift forks compared to a longer shifter lever.

Banging gears as fast as possible (ie, max force put on the shift lever) means more force will be put on the shift forks with the longer shifter. Just driving around normally, the difference of force on the shift forks won't be much different because only enough force to make a mellow shift is used. But maniac gear banging has more potential for shift fork damage with a longer shifter lever.

Icarus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey all. I too have had the broken 3-4 shift fork. I was impressed with the trans when I first drove the car, had to have it, coming from T-5 Foxes ( car had 6600 miles when I got it). A handful of times in the six months since Ive owned the car did I encounter a missed shift to 3rd gear at higher rpm, never had problems with hitting any other gears. Since we can't stop thinking about these little non-critical, annoying things, I started with a BG synchroshift II fluid flush (13,000 miles). Better shifting when cold but not revolutionary, otherwise just gave me peace of mind. Then I thought the shifter was maybe what would cause that rare missed shift. Worried that i would void warranty/catch hell from dealer if i ever did take it in, I kept it simple and went with Steeda short throw handle, complimented by their rear trans mount bushing. Firmed it up, felt a lot more solid, kept a majority of stock parts. Then on 1/22/2020 while shifting into 3rd, under normal conditions, the car acted as if it hit neutral (19000 miles). Checked the gate to 4th, same deal. Brought the car to my house, called dealer, drove her down. Was well informed myself, thanks to this site, on the TSB on this issue. I have to admit, I took it to worst case scenario in my head and assumed they wouldn't cover it on the way down. A week later, they called to say that it will get a new transmission. At no point did they mention anything about shifter/fluid/driving habits/Steeda tune on car. BTW, my car build date is 1/18...I believe most problems have been around that build date. The simple and direct candor of the dealership tells me they know it's a problem, fix em up and keep the customer happy seems to be the MO. I really hope what they put back in is up to snuff...amazes me that it's gone through a trans at 19000! I think about that A10 everyday lol. I remember reading these forums on this very topic and thinking "Gee, hope that doesn't happen to me". As of now (2/17), I am waiting on the car to be returned to me. Sucks that Ill pay a month's car note for it to sit in the shop for a problem it was born with. I'll post an update when she's home.

Sponsored

Icarus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey all. I too have had the broken 3-4 shift fork. I was impressed with the trans when I first drove the car, had to have it, coming from T-5 Foxes ( car had 6600 miles when I got it). A handful of times in the six months since Ive owned the car did I encounter a missed shift to 3rd gear at higher rpm, never had problems with hitting any other gears. Since we can't stop thinking about these little non-critical, annoying things, I started with a BG synchroshift II fluid flush (13,000 miles). Better shifting when cold but not revolutionary, otherwise just gave me peace of mind. Then I thought the shifter was maybe what would cause that rare missed shift. Worried that i would void warranty/catch hell from dealer if i ever did take it in, I kept it simple and went with Steeda short throw handle, complimented by their rear trans mount bushing. Firmed it up, felt a lot more solid, kept a majority of stock parts. Then on 1/22/2020 while shifting into 3rd, under normal conditions, the car acted as if it hit neutral (19000 miles). Checked the gate to 4th, same deal. Brought the car to my house, called dealer, drove her down. Was well informed myself, thanks to this site, on the TSB on this issue. I have to admit, I took it to worst case scenario in my head and assumed they wouldn't cover it on the way down. A week later, they called to say that it will get a new transmission. At no point did they mention anything about shifter/fluid/driving habits/Steeda tune on car. BTW, my car build date is 1/18...I believe most problems have been around that build date. The simple and direct candor of the dealership tells me they know it's a problem, fix em up and keep the customer happy seems to be the MO. I really hope what they put back in is up to snuff...amazes me that it's gone through a trans at 19000! I think about that A10 everyday lol. I remember reading these forums on this very topic and thinking "Gee, hope that doesn't happen to me". As of now (2/17), I am waiting on the car to be returned to me. Sucks that Ill pay a month's car note for it to sit in the shop for a problem it was born with. I'll post an update when she's home.
Update 3/09: Have had the car back for a few weeks, put about 600 miles on it. Replacement trans is working well. Haven't experienced any lockout of third; in fact, all shifts have gone smoothly, even at high rpm. Don't know exactly if it's a 19/20 trans, or an 18 for that matter, but i have 40,000 or 3 years to find out if it's weak. Figure I'll just start putting money into a future Tremec fund for when she is out of warranty.

wusthof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt vert
Was kinda looking at the 18s with a stick, but seemingly there are so many problems. My 2006 gt vert has been an absolutely fantastic car. Convertible top now showing issues, but it's old. Should I not even bother looking for. an s550 lol

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was kinda looking at the 18s with a stick, but seemingly there are so many problems. My 2006 gt vert has been an absolutely fantastic car. Convertible top now showing issues, but it's old. Should I not even bother looking for. an s550 lol
Have Ford run the VIN to see it it's had the shifting fork upgrade repair.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
This has been an absolute nightmare. Below are the series of events that have happened so far (I can't make this up).
  • Car dropped off for TSB on 9/1/19, was told it would be done in less than a week
  • 9/10/19 and was told they had the trans out but couldn't split the case without the 3 jaw puller tool
  • 9/16/19 was told new parts are in and will be done today
  • Received a call on 9/17/19 that car is stuck in reverse due to a damaged snychro when re-assembling parts in trans
  • 9/22/19 tech working on my car quits
  • 9/30/19 was told that they tore the trans back apart and fixed reverse snychro will be done today
  • 11/6 was told everything was put back together, test drove- all gears work but it keeps popping out of 1st. They think they damaged 1st gear synchro putting the trans back together for the second time
I'm assuming since they screwed up so much and lost so much time on this, they are just going to work on it whenever they feel like it since they already lost their ass on what should have taken a few days to complete. I wonder what's next??
I know this thread is old... but what ended up happening with the OP and the situation?
Sponsored