ECOBOOST OWNERS WHO HAVE REMOVED ACTIVE GRILLE SHUTTERS

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
So I am going to have my front bumper off (eventually) to install a new grille. I know that the active grille shutters are predominantly just for MPG. So really not an important part to have on the car. I am probably gonna remove them and chuck em. Anyone who has removed them have you gotten any codes due to them missing? Anyone regret removing them? Please chime in. Thanks

Don
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Can’t comment, my car didn’t come with them because I had a block warmer lol.

But my car functions normally, can’t comment on mpg. I have a large spoiler and I get like 30 or so mpg highway w 3.31 gears

OP
OP

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the MPG isn't even a concern. My understanding is that the shutters reduces drag by 3% and raises MPG by 1%. This isn't even calculable really. My concern is that the computer is going to send a command to a part that is no longer there. So codes being set are my real concern. But maybe this itself isn't even an issue. Why I am asking really.

Don

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of people ziptie the sensor up, instead of disconnecting it, or it’s the motor

I don’t remember, but I read up on it heavily before I found out my car didn’t even have them due to block heater, it nulls them from factory

If I recall some people disconnected, some had a cel and some don’t. Not sure the science behind it

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
It won’t throw any codes. It’s controlled through the body harness so there is a fault if you got a scanner into that system from what I’ve heard but it can’t throw a code on the dash. Took mine out and other than better cooling and looking cleaner behind the grill no noticeable effects

Sponsored

War-Machine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1, Shadow Black
I took mine off when I did a large intercooler upgrade, and never saw any codes until recently. It likely won't give you a CEL, but it may have a code come up eventually about them being disconnected/ lost communication.

Armageddon Turbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leroy
Vehicle(s)
Twin Turbo 2014 Mustang GT
It won’t throw any codes. It’s controlled through the body harness so there is a fault if you got a scanner into that system from what I’ve heard but it can’t throw a code on the dash. Took mine out and other than better cooling and looking cleaner behind the grill no noticeable effects

This is correct

OP
OP

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
So if I remove the motor from the shutters, leave it plugged in, and tie it up all should be good with the world?

Don

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just a few days ago I stumbled upon a discussion on the same subject on a Mondeo forum. In the Mondeo, if the shutters are missing, the motor is unable to determine its upper and lower limits (which it does as part of its startup self-test), and throws an error. And as a consequence of that error the fans will run constantly at full speed.
Someone had this symptom, and the cause proved to be a broken shutter. He removed it altogether, leaving just the motor in place, but to no avail. When he installed a new shutter the fans stopped.
Whether it's the same in the Mustang, I don't know. You'll have to test it.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I pulled my shutters last summer, motor and all, and have no codes. I just zip tied the plug to the bumper so it wouldn't flop around and wrapped the plug in electrical tape just in case water manages to splash up in there. No lights, no codes, no problems at all, and a few pounds lighter in the nose. And no change in mpg either.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
I guess when I have the bumper cover off I will decide what I will do. Maybe I will remove them maybe just leave them be. I suppose they really aren't hurting anything being there.

Don

Jscott1000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Eco premium Convertible
This is not true for my 2020EB. I got a Malfunction Indicator Light and a text message to my phone that the stupid shutters aren't fully opening or closing.

jlchoutex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 401A
My 2017 ecoboost did not have these. I can not help you.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
So I am going to have my front bumper off (eventually) to install a new grille. I know that the active grille shutters are predominantly just for MPG. So really not an important part to have on the car. I am probably gonna remove them and chuck em. Anyone who has removed them have you gotten any codes due to them missing? Anyone regret removing them? Please chime in. Thanks

Don
Just remove them. Detach the motor from them and ziptie it behind the bumper support brace. If it is plugged in it will not throw a code.

OP
OP

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Just remove them. Detach the motor from them and ziptie it behind the bumper support brace. If it is plugged in it will not throw a code.
Already completed. That is exactly what I did. Car runs normally. Not sure if the fan running all the time is something or not. I have the A/C on at all times and that makes the fan run always.

Don
Sponsored