Sponsored

Throttle House puts the 2020 GT500, Camaro ZL1 and Challenger Hellcat Redeye on the track

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Gosh, people are still harping on about the TH video.

GM just announced the C8 did 7:29 (DCT) at the Nurburgring. For reference, the base ZL1 (Auto) did the exact time a few years ago at 7:29 as well.

Meanwhile, just over 2 years go a 'Manual' ZL1 1LE officially did 7:16 at the Ring. Unofficially, it did 7:13 at the Ring.

Up until recently, there wasn't a single Ferrari that could beat the ZL1 1LE's time.

Let's never forget what an insane track weapon the ZL1 1LE is. This has nothing to do with the Camaro logic. This has everything to do with Bob Lutz pushing GM to drop $2Bn into the Alpha platform just under a decade ago.

For people that need to be reminded what a 'Manual' ZL1 1LE once accomplished, here's a video for you to have popcorn with -

And it's a shame they couldn't make the car (Camaro overall) more usable and ergonomically friendly...none of which would compromise its ability to be excellent on track. The S550 would be struggling.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
And it's a shame they couldn't make the car (Camaro overall) more usable and ergonomically friendly...none of which would compromise its ability to be excellent on track. The S550 would be struggling.
Actually, some modifications would compromise the handling characteristics. That weird little trunk opening isn’t shaped that way because somebody thought it would be cute. It’s shaped that way because of trade-offs made in the Alpha architecture to maximize rear end stability. I can’t even begin to quote all the specifics, because I barely understood them when they were relayed to me. I was assigned a Captured Test Fleet ATS Coupe just before they first launched and complained to the chief engineer about it. He explained to me in detail why it was the way it was and told me then that I’d appreciate it better when the ATS-V and Camaro came out. He was right. I also complained to him about the low profile run-flats. I had three replaced in the 4 months that I drove the car. He shrugged his shoulders. Michigan roads.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, some modifications would compromise the handling characteristics. That weird little trunk opening isn’t shaped that way because somebody thought it would be cute. It’s shaped that way because of trade-offs made in the Alpha architecture to maximize rear end stability. I can’t even begin to quote all the specifics, because I barely understood them when they were relayed to me. I was assigned a Captured Test Fleet ATS Coupe just before they first launched and complained to the chief engineer about it. He explained to me in detail why it was the way it was and told me then that I’d appreciate it better when the ATS-V and Camaro came out. He was right. I also complained to him about the low profile run-flats. I had three replaced in the 4 months that I drove the car. He shrugged his shoulders. Michigan roads.
I'm struggling on that one. There are many ways to achieve unibody rigidity and good load transfer. I seriously doubt they couldn't have gotten there if they made it a strong need to fit golf clubs or a carry-on suitcase in without issue. They didn't prioritize those things across the car, and it shows. Al O openly admitted as much, as I recall.

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
CFTP GT500 is faster then a ZL1 1LE

GT500 will destroy a ZL1 on the street or drag strip.

ZL1 1LE will be pretty close on a lot of tracks.

ZL1 is a better value if you use the car for road course work a lot and not much daily driving.

Most of these videos are pretty useless and not even very enjoyable to watch.
Except it didn't to it on the real world, it wasn't faster on lap time and it wasn't faster drag racing on unprepared surface (AKA what would happen on the street), the gt500 will destroy the zl1 from a roll as we could see from the video.

So the video is an example of what would happen if you street raced or track raced a zl1 1le after you went to one hpde in your brand new gt500

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I'm struggling on that one. There are many ways to achieve unibody rigidity and good load transfer. I seriously doubt they couldn't have gotten there if they made it a strong need to fit golf clubs or a carry-on suitcase in without issue. They didn't prioritize those things across the car, and it shows. Al O openly admitted as much, as I recall.
It’s true that Camaro didn’t prioritize daily driving amenities over performance features, but keep in mind that Al O. had zero to do with the ATS. Look at that trunk opening. Same as Camaro. It was an architectural decision, not a program team decision.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Al O. Had zero to do with the ATS. Look at that trunk opening. Same as Camaro. It was an architectural decision, not a program team decision.
No disagreement, but it still didn't need to be that way if they made a base level of practicality a need. IMO it's unacceptable for car segments that are not supercars.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Gosh, people are still yapping about the GM video of the ZLE at the Ring?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking maybe a strut tower brace but for the trunk and supplied with the 1LE cars would have let them keep a more traditional trunk opening if not maybe make it a lift-gate ala Corvette. Track rats don't mind bolting in a couple of components but the current opening is darn inconvenient even to grab groceries. I literally couldn't get a 12 roll pack of paper towels into the back. Even a modest cardboard tray of items (think Cosco) wouldn't go in flat - I had to unload half, tip it in at an angle and then refill the tray.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
NewCFTP GT500 is faster then a ZL1 1LE

GT500 will destroy a ZL1 on the street or drag strip. Performance & comfort

ZL1 costs less

End/thread

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
NewCFTP GT500 is faster then a ZL1 1LE

GT500 will destroy a ZL1 on the street or drag strip. Performance & comfort

ZL1 costs less

End/thread
Good. Close enough makes it a fun track day. If I start getting passed consistently, I'll have to trade up to a CFTP car.

Sponsored

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
NewCFTP GT500 should be faster then a ZL1 1LE

GT500 should destroy a ZL1 on the street or drag strip. Performance & comfort

ZL1 costs less

End/thread
There you go fixed it for you, it still hasn't done any of it except the comfort part

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red