Sponsored

2021 Mach 1 Mustang Prototype Spied on The Prowl?!

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Edit: there’s some unique items coming along that you’ll see at the Detroit auto show in terms of the Mach 1.

No Azure Blue = Fail :frown:

At the very least they should offer Grabber Blue!
I am in the agreement unfortunately it’s not on the table at this time....NOW maybe it’s a surprise and Again I’m in the circle but not the inner circle. So maybe there keeping this one from me spilling the beans (which I could see then doing) lol

race red or shitty red?

(by shitty red, I mean 'I wish I were a real red red')
I was told it’s race red.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Edit: there’s some unique items coming along that you’ll see at the Detroit auto show in terms of the Mach 1.

I am in the agreement unfortunately it’s not on the table at this time....NOW maybe it’s a surprise and Again I’m in the circle but not the inner circle. So maybe there keeping this one from me spilling the beans (which I could see then doing) lol

I was told it’s race red.
I guess, being a 2 year run, they could offer more/different colors for the '22MY Mach 1. But, Ford has been offering some superb hi-impact colors of late (Grabber Blue, Grabber Lime, Need For Green, Twister Orange etc).....it'd be a real shame if Race Red is the only hi-impact color for Mach 1.

C'mon Ford, you KNOW Azure Blue makes sense on this one!!!!
Mach 1.jpg

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Edit: there’s some unique items coming along that you’ll see at the Detroit auto show in terms of the Mach 1..
A reveal of the Mach 1, or just some unique items? Detroit is June this year, so that's pretty late to be revealing a '21MY car which, you'd assume, will be going into production around August of this year?

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Just a reminder of what Ford actually said in April 2019....
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/next-ford-mustang-details-on-sale-info/

Specifically, there’s this paragraph...

One source says the CD6 Mustang, which goes by the codename S650, appears to be delayed at least to the 2026 model year, while another source guesses 2028 or 2029, either of which makes it less of a product plan than a promise to keep building the icon. In the interim, the S550 Mustang will receive a major mid-cycle facelift to update its current D2C platform and reskin it with new sheetmetal from nose to tail, which will require some underbody work. It's the mid-cycle D2C update that will spawn a Mustang hybrid, although that car is said to be delayed slightly from the 2021 model year to early in calendar-year 2022.

The part in bold makes me think that 2023 S650 is the nose to tail reskin happening in 2023, not 2021 and that the all new will occur in either 2026. Typically an automaker wants to get two sometimes three “versions” on a platform and at least three years on each version. S550 is in its second version (first was 2015 - 17, second is 2018 - 21). If Ford is extending S550 as they’ve said and reskinning it, that would coincide with a 3rd version coming in 2022 and running until 2024 - 25 and the convergence with CD6 happening in 2026, possibly then called S750.
Thanks again for the forecast information, but I feel like the S550 is pretty much the same thing in terms of level of changes outside of independent rear suspension. S650 is a "new" vehicle in its own right after 8 years like the S550. It's just that now the D2C connection is such more transparent.

Everyone got so caught up in hearing about the 50th anniversary stuff, independent rear suspension as well as an EcoBoost I4, we neglected the possibility they would reuse D2C from the 2005 model year redesign, which itself was ground up all new since the OG Foxbody in September 1978. It ran 26 years, till the retro Stang hit dealers in October of 2004.

D2C seems to be a repeat of that, come 2026/27.

The current car ran like this:

Sept/October 2014 to December 2017 (15-17 models)
December 2017 to Summer 2020 (2018-20)
Summer 2020 to Summer 2022 (2021-22 cars)

S650:
July 2022(?) to 2024/25?
Refresh S650 2024/25 to 2026/27

You are very correct about 3 years of each major version, but in this case they can only make do with two years.

People forget that the 2010 cars were really delayed 2009MYs, launched March 2009. By mid-2010, I heard they had dialed in the 2013MY changes amd based them on the direction of S550 program as of 2010.

Yes, I recall this specific article (in fact, I have it bookmarked!)

That why I'm still questioning the "facelift" we (or at least I ) have been expecting for the '21MY. The "prototypes" we've seen so far a very light in terms of camo.....which in turn means there's not much changing externally.....a new front bumper with potentially larger front air intakes isn't exactly earth shattering. In fact, it little more than you'd expect from a new special edition. So, rather than being a '21MY refresh, what we've seen may well just be changes for the Mach 1. Unless, of course, these are just very early prototypes testing the drivetrain with visual changes coming later. But if that's the case, I'd expect to see more heavily camo'd prototypes very soon, as the '21MY would likely be shown April/May time. Time, as they say, will tell!
I don't think S650 mules are out testing yet, so definitely S550 only. Judging by the new turn signal caught in a shot, 2021 vehicle is for certain a la 2013 S197. If I was Ford I would get it out by the summer, if your next gen is due in mid-2022.

I expect exactly what happened with the S197.
You had the major re-design just before the Coyote, then for 13-14 you had headlights/taillights.
2018 wasn't a crazy redesign. Just a newish front clip and, rear valence, and taillights.
I can see them introducing a new front/rear next year, then doing it again in 2 years or so.
These cars are coming this year for sure (not next year) and then in two years time the new vehicle.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
A reveal of the Mach 1, or just some unique items? Detroit is June this year, so that's pretty late to be revealing a '21MY car which, you'd assume, will be going into production around August of this year?
there’s something with it. But I don’t want to say as I only reply when I get creditable sources. It’s a gap rumor and probably will have to wait myself. In terms of colors, who knows. I was disappointed to be told that. But if it’s a multi run production who knows :)

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Whilst nothing is official, its generally thought the GT350 is done after the current '20MY. The Heritage Edition (Wimbledon White/Guardsman Blue) is a last hurrah. This leaves the door open for Mach 1 to be more than just a Bullitt replacement :)
Oh yeah, you're right on, those sort of special editions do tend to be the "Going out with a bang" sort of offerings (I love that package BTW).

I hope there's some GT350 DNA left behind for other models, I bet most folks who want a manual would be thrilled to have the TR6060, certainly some coolers, heck like someone pointed out above, with the GT350 gone, maybe the PP2 Version 2 get cooler upgrades.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I also meant to add......the GT350 running from '15 to '20 replicates the original '65 to '70. History repeating itself :)
and the best Mach 1 to date came the year after that!

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
H
What a world we live in when 460hp isn’t high performance. :shock:
lol perhaps my wording made me sound a bit greedy. I just meant before I could afford anything like it, there were convertible versions of the Shelby GT500, Cobra, Etc. Living in Arizona with year round drop top weather it's got me itching for something like that from this chassis.

Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
H

lol perhaps my wording made me sound a bit greedy. I just meant before I could afford anything like it, there were convertible versions of the Shelby GT500, Cobra, Etc. Living in Arizona with year round drop top weather it's got me itching for something like that from this chassis.
I sat on the fence for a while waiting on a high performance vert of some sort, then got tired of waiting. It occurred to me that the GT IS a high-performance vert. I don't think they will do anything to twist the chassis any harder than they already are. Of course the chassis can be stiffened to handle the power, but it adds weight and complexity, and detracts from parts commonality. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a GT500 or even GT350 vert in the S550, but I am not holding my breath.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a GT500 or even GT350 vert in the S550, but I am not holding my breath.
If Ford produces a 5.2L CPC motor, FI/DI, maybe using the GT350 intake (like the Bullitt), dialed in, that would be 500-520HP, hoping we see that motor as a HP option in convertibles too. I get reserving model variants that are very track oriented, but like you said, they made a '13/'14 GT500 in a convertible with 662HP, GM made the C7 in a convertible in the regular, Z06 __and__ the 755HP ZR-1.

Shit man, give me a de-tuned Predator at ~600, back it up to a 10-speed auto, and let the GT500 keep the extra 160 horses and the DCT :D

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
If Ford produces a 5.2L CPC motor, FI/DI, maybe using the GT350 intake (like the Bullitt), dialed in, that would be 500-520HP, hoping we see that motor as a HP option in convertibles too. I get reserving model variants that are very track oriented, but like you said, they made a '13/'14 GT500 in a convertible with 662HP, GM made the C7 in a convertible in the regular, Z06 __and__ the 755HP ZR-1.

Shit man, give me a de-tuned Predator at ~600, back it up to a 10-speed auto, and let the GT500 keep the extra 160 horses and the DCT :D
Was flex a big problem in those S197 GT500s? I mean a problem to the point the doors wouldn't close or the windshield popped out?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Was flex a big problem in those S197 GT500s? I mean a problem to the point the doors wouldn't close or the windshield popped out?
Not to the point the doors wouldn't close or the windshield popped out, but they were very flexible. My '07 GT500 was a vert, tons of additional bracing under that car, handled poorly in stock form.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Don't forget that the Shelby has a better transmission and cooling for the transmission and rear end that the PP2 doesn't have. It also has lighter and probably better brakes than the PP2. Then there's that Voodoo engine too.
If Ford did the off the shelf parts thing for the Mach1, there would still be a gap between the Mach1 and the GT350.
Sponsored