Total Mustang sales 2019 figure

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
A brand new, bare bones "get one while you still can" 3.7 put me in my Pony. No DI, reg gas, and the price was right.
Enjoy your Mustang for as long as you want. But once the time comes to replace it would you consider an EB or GT? Or are you one & done?
Sponsored

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Enjoy your Mustang for as long as you want. But once the time comes to replace it would you consider an EB or GT? Or are you one & done?
As a gearhead, I love the V-8, and the car before my Pony was an LS-3 'vette, but I just don't desire that kind of "on tap" power just now, (gettin' old maybe)?
Buzzy, turbo 4's just don't make it for my old school mentality.
When V-6's hit the scene, I sneered at them, but did own a couple GM 3.8's in family cars. The 3.7 OHC Cyclone is just exotic enough, and 300HP, 0-60 in 6 sec., was envy inducing way back when and still nothing to sneeze at. MPFI means maintenance free reliability, just look at the LS engines.
Always loved the Mustang, and the S550, being modern underneath, IRS, etc., with a couple mods, and just the perfect look, my first, I'll be keeping for a long time.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A brand new, bare bones "get one while you still can" 3.7 put me in my Pony. No DI, reg gas, and the price was right.
That was the first newer Mustang I bought as well. I really liked the 3.7 V6.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Agreed, and I personally would be fine with continued face lifts on the existing chassis if that helps Ford keep the price down. Despite what some say - I think the S550 chassis is good. At least it's good enough to make the car fun to drive. What would sell me is an awesome new power plant at a decent price. And I think a lot of other Mustang buyers are into engines as well. I think a slight chassis change is less of a selling point.
I was an engine development guy for 4 years. I think you could say I am into engines. I love to dual injection Coyote. Most "engine" guys I work with love it as well. Carbed and PFI fuel systems have their place in old engines. New engines deserve newer and better tech. Ford isn't going to suddenly drop the price on all mustangs, nor are they going back to old PFI to develop a new engine that will have trouble meeting emissions and fuel economy standards. Just like the guys who had to learn how to work on PFI while carburetors were being phased out, you are going to have to learn how to work on DIG if you want to remain an engine guy in the modern automotive world. The more you learn about it, the less complicated it seems.
Have you ever driven a gen 3 Coyote equipped Mustang? How about one with basic bolt-ons? If not, you really should. This car has a lot more balls in stock form vs the previous gen. It breathes better up high as well.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
MPFI means maintenance free reliability, just look at the LS engines.
Always loved the Mustang, and the S550, being modern underneath, IRS, etc., with a couple mods, and just the perfect look, my first, I'll be keeping for a long time.
There is no such thing as maintenance-free reliability. ;)
Change the fluids and check the appropriate systems, as your manual suggests.

The LS engine has been DI since 2013. They have few complaints about the fuel system. The only issues I have heard of, is earlier builds requiring walnut blasting of the intake valves after 50k miles. Luckily, our Coyotes won't have that issue thanks to the dual system.

Sponsored

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
There is no such thing as maintenance-free reliability. ;)
Change the fluids and check the appropriate systems, as your manual suggests.

The LS engine has been DI since 2013. They have few complaints about the fuel system. The only issues I have heard of, is earlier builds requiring walnut blasting of the intake valves after 50k miles. Luckily, our Coyotes won't have that issue thanks to the dual system.
Should have substituted "trouble" for "maintenance". Of course I maintain my vehicles. The DI GM motors are labeled "LT" if I'm not mistaken, and true or not I have read about valve coking issues. Dual system sounds like a solution, but at what cost and more complex. Not going to chime in on how many 100k mi. one or the other will last.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Should have substituted "trouble" for "maintenance". Of course I maintain my vehicles. The DI GM motors are labeled "LT" if I'm not mistaken, and true or not I have read about valve coking issues. Dual system sounds like a solution, but at what cost and more complex. Not going to chime in on how many 100k mi. one or the other will last.
I only wish the V6 was available with the premium options in 15'. I would have bought it. Many of us early on went EB because of that.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Gosh, 70 odd thousand cars seems kinda puny for total sales, but I guess that's the market these days. Ford was ready to replace the Mustang with the Probe in the early 90s. Late Foxes were selling a bit over 100,000 per year at the time. The first year Ford sold over 1/2 million. Good thing we all screamed loud and long or we wouldn't have these cars any more.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
They are called LT engines, but still just the next gen of LS. It really isn't very expensive to have the valves walnut blasted, so even the GM engine is relatively low maintenance. The dual fuel system isn't really much more complicated than the single injection system. I believe the Coyote one still has a single HPFP, single lift pump, and just 2 injectors per cylinder. The cost to us was probably around $1000 more, but completely worth it if you are into modding. The 2018 was about $1900 more than the 2017 GT, but part of that increase cost went into all the fancy engine internal work like the spray on liner.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was an engine development guy for 4 years. I think you could say I am into engines. I love to dual injection Coyote. Most "engine" guys I work with love it as well. Carbed and PFI fuel systems have their place in old engines. New engines deserve newer and better tech. Ford isn't going to suddenly drop the price on all mustangs, nor are they going back to old PFI to develop a new engine that will have trouble meeting emissions and fuel economy standards. Just like the guys who had to learn how to work on PFI while carburetors were being phased out, you are going to have to learn how to work on DIG if you want to remain an engine guy in the modern automotive world. The more you learn about it, the less complicated it seems.
Have you ever driven a gen 3 Coyote equipped Mustang? How about one with basic bolt-ons? If not, you really should. This car has a lot more balls in stock form vs the previous gen. It breathes better up high as well.
Believe me I get it. I work in development engineering as well, but not in such a fun area. I understand that developing a 20% larger engine isn't as fun as developing entirely new systems. I just wish you were working on making the Coyote into a 9,000 or 10,000 rpm monster or creating a 6.0 DOHC engine rather than eking out a couple percentage reduction in emissions or slight improvements in fuel economy at cruise. It seems wasteful of resources to me. My assumption is that the engine's BSFC really isn't changing a lot at full throttle when it burns the most fuel. Extra injectors don't change the fact that you need fuel to make power.

The other thing somewhat unrelated is I'm not planning to buy another new Mustang that doesn't have cooling for track use. I went through that with my GT350 - threw out my warranty, replaced the transmission for the track pack version with a cooler, added a rear diff cooler... It was worth the time and money but it sucked having an expensive new car that no longer had all the factory warranty coverage.

Sponsored

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Gosh, 70 odd thousand cars seems kinda puny for total sales, but I guess that's the market these days..
I agree. I think young car buyer's are not car people. They want a nice little mini SUV. :crying:

I watched some of the B.-J. car auctions on DVR TV last weekend when dudes were fighting over an old Ford Mustang while bidding $5K/each to get it. I doubt this will work out well in the next 10 years.

These are my production numbers of the Mustang which was sourced from internet data:

2019 =60,997
2018 = 75,842
2017 = 81,866
2016 = 105,932
2015 = 122,439
2014 = 82,635
2013 = 77,186
2012 = 82,975
2011 = 70,478
2010 = 73,716
2009 = 66,623

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
I just don't desire that kind of "on tap" power just now, (gettin' old maybe)?QUOTE]

Joe, we need to talk.......

Social Security and Medicare are right around the corner, but they're gonna have to bury me in something with a boosted V8.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Joe, we need to talk.......

Social Security and Medicare are right around the corner, but they're gonna have to bury me in something with a boosted V8.
My car will be naturally aspirated and tuned for a long road race at Road Atlanta.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I hate to say this, but the Mustang is already somewhat SUV-ish. The seats are relatively high off the ground and the roof is high as well.
I don't see it at all.
My '13 Roush Stage 3 sits higher than my '19 Roush Stage 3. Even my brother says the car sits low to the ground when I took him out for a ride last summer.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I could see someone at Ford make a good business case for making an aluminum block 7.3 liter Godzilla block. The aluminum block could be used in a Mustang , Raptor , and F-150 . By having 3 different vehicles using the engine , development costs could be justified. Who would not want a vehicle powered by Godzilla ? The 7.3 liter V8 has too many good features to not be used in more vehicles than the F-250 and up trucks. Maybe in 2 to 3 years the Mustang will have a 7.3 liter V8 in some form of special edition that is not a limited edition.
Sponsored