Sponsored

Firestone Firehawk Indy500 vs advan apex v601 for track

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I
the tires are the Pilot Sport 4S - an all around excellent summer street tire and not half-bad track tire. Easily superior to the Firehawk.
Your stock 18x8 rims are hopeless and should be relegated to winter/street duty with 235/45 tires.
Drove a friends car with the firehawk indy 500 in 275/255 40 19. In my opinion they are my second choice to my PS4S and better than my old PZERO's. As a bonus the firehawk tires look fantastic.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
I

Drove a friends car with the firehawk indy 500 in 275/255 40 19. In my opinion they are my second choice to my PS4S and better than my old PZERO's. As a bonus the firehawk tires look fantastic.
can you elaborate into where you drove it and why they are your second choice please?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Michelin is quieter and is just a tad more responsive and more comfortable.
For the money, I'd say the Firestone is 85% as good as the PS4S at 70% of the cost if that. They are a bargain, and look better than just about all the others. I'd buy them.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
The Michelin is quieter and is just a tad more responsive and more comfortable.
For the money, I'd say the Firestone is 85% as good as the PS4S at 70% of the cost if that. They are a bargain, and look better than just about all the others. I'd buy them.
Cool any othee tires you have tried?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just the PZero, 4S and the firestone as far as my Mustang goes. I also have Firestone all seasons on my Challenger and I like them enough to rebuy them when they are ready.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
the chassis and power dynamics a "tad" different between rear-drive Mustang and front-drive Focus. Not to mention the 400lbs. A (semi-) professional driver can drive anything to the limit. The OP doesn't strike me as having an abundance of track time.
Doesn't change that going to a narrower, 225 tire is almost sure to make them both slower. If anything, the extra weight and power of the Mustang makes more tire more critical.

Just look at the track rats. Do you see them running the "optimum" 255 tires on 10" wheels and 275 tires on 11" wheels? Nope, most of us run close to the upper end of the recommended tire size for the wheel size (though most avoid going beyond that recommended range like a 255 on a 8" wheel would be).

Last edited:
OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Really u think a 265
Doesn't change that going to a narrower, 225 tire is almost sure to make them both slower. If anything, the extra weight and power of the Mustang makes more tire more critical.

Just look at the track rats. Do you see them running the "optimum" 255 tires on 10" wheels and 275 tires on 11" wheels? Nope, most of us run close to the upper end of the recommended tire size for the wheel size (though most avoid going beyond that recommended range like a 255 on a 8" wheel would be).[/QUOTE

really u guys think a 255 is to wide for an 8 inch rim? Tire rack recommendee this and they tend to be conservative..

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I would use a minimum of a 275 on a 10" wheel. The real fast track guys use at least 305 square (on 11" wheel minimum).

Last edited:

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Also, I would classify the Indy 500 as a good street tire, not a track tire. It can be driven on track but is not at home there. Not bad really just not meant for that. MPSS or MP4S are also street tires but more capable track than the Indy. I would opt for either of those over the Indy if you are looking for a summer/track tire for dual purposes. If it's going to be a track only set, I'd look at RE71R, Michelin Cup 2, Hankook RS-4 and others in that category - extreme performance summer or streetable/competition tire would be the ideal. But I figure this is going to be street driven for you so I'd try to steer you toward the MPSS or MP4S.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Really u think a 255is too wide for a 8" wheel, Tire Rack recommends it?
Check again. It varies by tire, but the industry standard recommendation maxes out at 245 for a 8" wheel, 8.5 minimum for a 255. But running a step beyond that recommendation is not that uncommon, and unlikely to cause problems. It might be slower depending on the tire and car. But more likely to be better with a car that is heavy & undertired (E. G. a Mustang, while a Miata would be more likely to be slower).

Back in the day ('05 -' 10), the fast WRX STi guys in B Stock ran 275 tires on 8" wheels (wheel size limited by the class rules). But the Hoosier R Compounds were likely more tolerant of undersized wheels than most tires. And autocross probably more tolerant than track use, where heat is a much bigger issue. One side effect of undersized wheels would be more tire flex, which generates more heat.

But you can buy wheels cheaper than you can buy tires. And 255 is still too small for a Mustang. So don't half a$$ it, and get some 275+ tires on 9.5 or 10" wheels.

PS - and if you want the tires to last on track, you will need more camber. But, a track novice could probably put both off an event or two if money is tight and they don't push too hard.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Also, I would classify the Indy 500 as a good street tire, not a track tire. It can be driven on track but is not at home there. Not bad really just not meant for that. MPSS or MP4S are also street tires but more capable track than the Indy. I would opt for either of those over the Indy if you are looking for a summer/track tire for dual purposes. If it's going to be a track only set, I'd look at RE71R, Michelin Cup 2, Hankook RS-4 and others in that category - extreme performance summer or streetable/competition tire would be the ideal. But I figure this is going to be street driven for you so I'd try to steer you toward the MPSS or MP4S.
i see, have u ever had any issues with oil starvation with an aggressive tire like the re71r, you or anybody u know?

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
no thats what hunter in the chat told me that 255 width would be fine on my 8 inch rim..

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
i see, have u ever had any issues with oil starvation with an aggressive tire like the re71r, you or anybody u know?
I will let the more knowledgeable and experienced members chime in on this one.
Sponsored