Firestone Firehawk Indy500 vs advan apex v601 for track

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
OP - if you can afford a new set of tires, you can afford a used set of rims with appropriate tires for that application. That would be my advice. Like shogun32 said - those 235s or 245s don't belong on the track. You're gonna end up spending more money this way.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
the tires are the Pilot Sport 4S - an all around excellent summer street tire and not half-bad track tire. Easily superior to the Firehawk.
Your stock 18x8 rims are hopeless and should be relegated to winter/street duty with 235/45 tires.
Hmmm U make a really good point! It is a lil more
Money but gonna look better too and handle
Better at the trackk than the firestone like u mentioned. Let me ask you this though, say i get the advan a052 all around on my 18 in im in. 255 40 r18 do u think the 19 rims with Michelin would be better??? Only reason i bring this up is cuz ot would
Still be a lil cheaper than the 19 inch rims what ur thoughy?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
see https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...all=Blackwall&partnum=44YR8A052XLV2&tab=Specs

The widest Advan 052 your 8" rims will take is the 245/40R18 but you'll be pinching it something fierce. You want sidewall STRETCH for best response and high performance. 225 or 235/40 is as wide as you should choose.

Let's say you buy a set of tires now (not exactly cheap at 240 each) you're still orphaned. That same $1000 could have bought you new PS4S with 9/9.5 Ford wheels which will work well enough and open up a world of good tires for you to play with down the road.

Unless you buy CHEAP track tires, the sooner you throw those 18x8 on the ash-heap of history the better.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
see https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...all=Blackwall&partnum=44YR8A052XLV2&tab=Specs

The widest Advan 052 your 8" rims will take is the 245/40R18 but you'll be pinching it something fierce. You want sidewall STRETCH for best response and high performance. 225 or 235/40 is as wide as you should choose.

Let's say you buy a set of tires now (not exactly cheap at 240 each) you're still orphaned. That same $1000 could have bought you new PS4S with 9/9.5 Ford wheels which will work well enough and open up a world of good tires for you to play with down the road.

Unless you buy CHEAP track tires, the sooner you throw those 18x8 on the ash-heap of history the better.
haha i like ur explanation! So yea am better off buying the 19 inch rims. Am not a fan of the staggered set up but once again its better than my current 18 so i guess the beat bang for the buck and grip is gonna be the 19 inch rims right. Cant argue with that

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can always sell the Ford rims (which are basically new) to someone and get back $400 or perhaps more. And then buy some 9.5 rims x4 and now you're set.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
You can always sell the Ford rims (which are basically new) to someone and get back $400 or perhaps more. And then buy some 9.5 rims x4 and now you're set.
Damn yup u making to much sense to do otherwise, do u go to thunderhill by any chance or were u go to the track?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

Which is why Focus ST won the GS class Solo National Championship 4 years running with 255 tires on 8" wheels.

But I agree upgrade the wheels ASAP, and it probably best to spend a little more rather than delay it for later.

The Yokohama Apex appear to be pretty new, and I don't know anyone who has run them yet. The Indy 500s aren't particularly fast, but seem to hold up to track use pretty well.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Which is why Focus ST won the GS class Solo National Championship 4 years running with 255 tires on 8" wheels.

But I agree upgrade the wheels ASAP, and it probably best to spend a little more rather than delay it for later.

The Yokohama Apex appear to be pretty new, and I don't know anyone who has run them yet. The Indy 500s aren't particularly fast, but seem to hold up to track use pretty well.
Well thats an interesting point but arent those cara alot lighter than the mustangs?

I keep hearing goof things about the indy 500 tires i read an article about a dude that compared them his michelin pss, his final thoughts were that its 80% of
The tire for 50% of the price. Basically in a 5 lap session u would get 2 maybe 3 good laps before they overheat compared to the michelin pss being more consistant in all 5 laps. I say that for 50% of the price since i dont count on my cars
Lap times to bring home the bread its not a bad deal right? Oh also he said that comparing the fastest lap time the indy was about one second off from the michelin pss.. what are your guys thoughts?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Well thats an interesting point but arent those cara alot lighter than the mustangs?
The point is, multiple National Championships have been won with "pinched" tires. Forget about pinched or stretched. More tire is usually better, and more wheel is pretty much always better as long as they physically fit.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the chassis and power dynamics a "tad" different between rear-drive Mustang and front-drive Focus. Not to mention the 400lbs. A (semi-) professional driver can drive anything to the limit. The OP doesn't strike me as having an abundance of track time.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
The point is, multiple National Championships have been won with "pinched" tires. Forget about pinched or stretched. More tire is usually better, and more wheel is pretty much always better as long as they physically fit.
Ohh yea ok i see. Not exactly sure about the whole
Pinches tire thing but yea wider is usually better

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
the chassis and power dynamics a "tad" different between rear-drive Mustang and front-drive Focus. Not to mention the 400lbs. A (semi-) professional driver can drive anything to the limit. The OP doesn't strike me as having an abundance of track time.
no not really, maybe 5 track days, but thats why i ask and i rather ppl think i dont know anything cuz thats the way you learn right?
Sponsored