Sponsored

Firestone Firehawk Indy500 vs advan apex v601 for track

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
hi guys, ok so, first off i cant afford rims this year but I want to go to the track this year on my stock 18x8 rims, so with that being said I need this tires in 255 45 r18.
which are this two tires better for track meaning which don't over heat and are more consistent after 5 laps 5 sessions? anybody with experience with this two tires please chime in, thank you
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
i cant afford rims this year but I want to go to the track this year on my stock 18x8 rims, so with that being said I need this tires in 255 45 r18.
You can buy Flow-Formed rims for $70-150 a corner, just saying.

Also given the specs from tire-rack (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Apex+V601) you'd be MUCH better off using 235-245/45. With rims that narrow, wider tire is definitely not better. Shoot, I run 8.5 rims on my GTI and it weighs 400lb less.

What tires do you have on there now? Maybe just use the track outing to destroy what's left of the tires you have now? It's not like you'd be going fast anyway. And you'll burn off the edge of the tires since you don't have camber plates either. Why spend the money on $170/per summer tires only to ruin them?

I'll be selling my EB/PP (9") rims soon and I'm sure you can find other members getting rid of wheels relatively cheap.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
You can buy Flow-Formed rims for $70-150 a corner, just saying.

Also given the specs from tire-rack (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Apex+V601) you'd be MUCH better off using 235-245/45. With rims that narrow, wider tire is definitely not better. Shoot, I run 8.5 rims on my GTI and it weighs 400lb less.

What tires do you have on there now? Maybe just use the track outing to destroy what's left of the tires you have now? It's not like you'd be going fast anyway. And you'll burn off the edge of the tires since you don't have camber plates either. Why spend the money on $170/per summer tires only to ruin them?

I'll be selling my EB/PP (9") rims soon and I'm sure you can find other members getting rid of wheels relatively cheap.
If u have a link for those $70 rims i would
Love it and i would buy them but i never seen flow formed wheels that cheap.

Tire rack was the one that recommended that size by the way, also wider is always better as far as i know.

i already destroyed my stock tires at the hence why am looking for something better also u may want to ask u know what they say about assuming, my car has steeda suspension so its not stock.

thanx.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/18”-wheels-on-pp-for-the-budget-minded.129604/

Sorry to assume but nothing in your thread stream suggests you spent any money on your car. And that you're chasing seriously narrow-ass tires for HPDE purposes doesn't exactly smell like having any money. QED lack of camber plates is not an unreasonable assumption.

Maybe update your signature with all your mods so when you ask a question without providing any background we don't assume you're too poor to buy "necessary" parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
You
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/18”-wheels-on-pp-for-the-budget-minded.129604/

Sorry to assume but nothing in your thread stream suggests you spent any money on your car. And that you're chasing seriously narrow-ass tires for HPDE purposes doesn't exactly smell like having any money. QED lack of camber plates is not an unreasonable assumption.

Maybe update your signature with all your mods so when you ask a question without providing any background we don't assume you're too poor to buy "necessary" parts.
your still assuming my friend and you know what they say.. Lol. thanx for the link

sjmurphy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Magnetic
Why not just pick up a set of used performance pack wheels? the 18+ come with PS4S's which are great tires, not necessarily designed for pure track use but still will do great and they are great daily tires for warmer weather. Even the 15-17 come with Pzeros which IMO aren't as good as the PS4S but they're still decent enough for light track use. Plus you'll get wider wheels than you currently have. I think you can pick up a set of 4 lightly used wheels and tires for under $1000.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Ohh
Why not just pick up a set of used performance pack wheels? the 18+ come with PS4S's which are great tires, not necessarily designed for pure track use but still will do great and they are great daily tires for warmer weather. Even the 15-17 come with Pzeros which IMO aren't as good as the PS4S but they're still decent enough for light track use. Plus you'll get wider wheels than you currently have. I think you can pick up a set of 4 lightly used wheels and tires for under $1000.
ohh! If you know anybody o have a link please send it to me i can do $1,000 if a really have too, its just that my budget is tight the year. As long as the tire will hold up
For say 2 track days i would be happy

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the tires are the Pilot Sport 4S - an all around excellent summer street tire and not half-bad track tire. Easily superior to the Firehawk.
Your stock 18x8 rims are hopeless and should be relegated to winter/street duty with 235/45 tires.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
the tires are the Pilot Sport 4S - an all around excellent summer street tire and not half-bad track tire. Easily superior to the Firehawk.
Your stock 18x8 rims are hopeless and should be relegated to winter/street duty with 235/45 tires.
Agreed. For a street/track tire, I might almost favor the MPSS to the MP4S as I have heard the 4S is kind of soft and is more prone to overheating or sustaining damage from abuse than the MPSS is.
I really like the Indy 500, but I was somewhat disappointed that it didn't seem up to snuff at my trackcross. In the afternoon it started getting greasy after the first run or two and then wouldn't really grip anymore - which made it interesting when I tried to improve my time, which I did succeed in doing but not without pushing it further than I was comfortable doing.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have heard the 4S is kind of soft and is more prone to overheating or sustaining damage from abuse than the MPSS is.
Might be. That's why I picked up a couple sets of 305/30 Cup 2s. The Camaro gets them on the rear and the GT gets a full set.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Might be. That's why I picked up a couple sets of 305/30 Cup 2s. The Camaro gets them on the rear and the GT gets a full set.
I've seen a few horrifying pictures of MP4S get chunks taken out of it at a track day. But that could also be a person not treating their tires properly so it's hard to say. Only that I've heard the sidewalls are quite soft.

Nice. The Cup 2s are a great sticky tire. A track day tire that is durable. However, they're not on my list because 1) sub-200TW and 2) I don't plan on doing many HPDE stuff, long sessions, so I won't do as much continuous lapping probably needed to heat that tire to sufficient temperature to operate nominally. I plan on doing more short 1-lap all out runs. Time attack kind of stuff so the RE71R gets my vote for being super sticky and getting into the heat zone quickly. Although in contrast, RE71R would not be as good for HPDE/open track for same reason. It will get greasy eventually and care must be taken not to push it too far once it does.
Sponsored