Sponsored

Would you let color alone stop you from buying a great used car?

• Total voters

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Color is among the top considerations for people purchasing vehicles.

That said, I wasn't looking for white when I bought mine. I wasn't even looking for a Mustang when I bought mine. I had my heart set on a 2019 Lexus ES350 F-Sport, but then I test drove the Cali Special and that was that.

Looking back, would I do it again? Eh.....50/50 chance. Do I regret getting white? No, especially now that I have a lot of black accent pieces to make it more sleek.

If you can live with the color, go for it. If not, keep looking.
Sponsored

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely. If it's not the color I want, I'll walk away.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Was looking for a 19GT premium 401a, 19 or 20" wheels, 12" display, nav, etc...in either fury orange or Ruby red.

Now I don't see many of the fury orange around me and literally zero of the Ruby red.

To me color is first, then wheels then all the creature comforts.

Was lucky to find EXACTLY what I wanted down to the 20" wheels.
20200113_002503.jpg

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Was looking for a 19GT premium 401a, 19 or 20" wheels, 12" display, nav, etc...in either fury orange or Ruby red.

Now I don't see many of the fury orange around me and literally zero of the Ruby red.

To me color is first, then wheels then all the creature comforts.

Was lucky to find EXACTLY what I wanted down to the 20" wheels.
20200113_002503.jpg
Nice looking car and great color choice! I might be a little biased though lol

Sponsored

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
I know without a doubt that if I'd bought a different color, I would regret it. Every time I would see a silver one I would have that nagging brain tick saying "Shoulda got silver!" Royal Crimson would probably be the only other one as a second choice. That color is absolutely stunning in the right light. But, IMO, silver looks good all the time and hides dirt very well. It doesn't have the "pop" that others do, but that's okay. Silver, being a metal color, sort of announces "I am a machine not to be messed with!" Google images "Mercedes CLK GTR silver". Probably my prime example of this. LOVED watching these cars race in the 90s!

But, color preference is subjective. If everyone had silver cars it would be very boring so having all these colors is best.

Roman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2013 Fusion
I read the question and before I clicked on the thread and read the original post, I said to myself, "Yep, white."

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm afraid I can't be any more definite than "I don't think so".

Partly because I haven't bought a used car in almost 50 years (and wasn't overly concerned with color even for those).

And partly because if I was shopping used and actually did find a used car with all of the things I did want and hardly any of the things I didn't, there probably wouldn't be much else to choose from.

But I'll give you a 'no' in your poll. I can at least live with most basic colors, though I probably would add blue stripes to an otherwise all-white coupe (convertibles being a non-starter for me).

Norm

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
Honestly it really depends on how good the deal is. If it's a color i absolutely don't want, I won't buy it though. I didn't want a comp orange mustang. Everything else I was fine with.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Figure a good paint jobs costs $5k.

Is the car cheap enough to cover that?

The are good colors, OK colors, and unacceptable colors (poo brown for example).

As long as the price is right, any could work. But I have never seen a poo brown GT350 for $20k.

I have certainly passed up cars based on colors, mainly because I wanted to pay less because it wasn't my prefered color. This is especially true of new cars where there isn't a ton of wiggle room for price with bad/unpopular colors (like the neon green 2019 Camaros).

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It boils down to the deal, and whether you'd actually end up disliking the color or not.

When I bought my new F150 off a lot last summer, it happened to be the exact configuration/options I would have ordered (a somewhat odd combo at that), but in a different color that I might not have considered. Once I saw the color in the flesh, I decided it was a nice change from my usual daily-driver silver (and I've grown to really like it), and a screaming deal was the icing on the cake.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but in a different color that I might not have considered. Once I saw the color in the flesh, I decided it was a nice change from my usual
the "gold/brown" with a tinge of green? AKA stone gray?

OP
OP

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
Figure a good paint jobs costs $5k.

Is the car cheap enough to cover that?

The are good colors, OK colors, and unacceptable colors (poo brown for example).

As long as the price is right, any could work. But I have never seen a poo brown GT350 for $20k.

I have certainly passed up cars based on colors, mainly because I wanted to pay less because it wasn't my prefered color. This is especially true of new cars where there isn't a ton of wiggle room for price with bad/unpopular colors (like the neon green 2019 Camaros).
A good paint job that is a color change is a LOT more than 5k.... I suppose you could wrap it. In my case, the same dealer just put 2 others up for sale, another white car and a black one. I think I will try to get the black one.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP