Sponsored

Tire recommendation for thunderhill

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Hey guys so i have a 17 mustang gt 6sp manual i have the stock 18 in rims, cant afford to get new rims yet but i want to go to the track this 2020 and i wanted to see what u guys recommend for this rim, for thunderhill east 3 mile track. Size am looking for is 255 45 r18 unless u guys recommend other size it is the stock 18 inch rim, thanx guys!!
Sponsored

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Hey guys so i have a 17 mustang gt 6sp manual i have the stock 18 in rims, cant afford to get new rims yet but i want to go to the track this 2020 and i wanted to see what u guys recommend for this rim, for thunderhill east 3 mile track. Size am looking for is 255 45 r18 unless u guys recommend other size it is the stock 18 inch rim, thanx guys!!
For a 200tw tire that you can track and go home on I would go for the RE71's or some hankook ventus r-s4's.
If you want a full on track tire maybe a r888r? Or some slicks?
In the future if you dont want to modify your spindles maybe look for some 18x10 wheels. Maybe from apex or if you have the money Titian 7's.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
For a 200tw tire that you can track and go home on I would go for the RE71's or some hankook ventus r-s4's.
If you want a full on track tire maybe a r888r? Or some slicks?
In the future if you dont want to modify your spindles maybe look for some 18x10 wheels. Maybe from apex or if you have the money Titian 7's.
Wait wait lol my mind is blown lol.
Ok so i think my first question is can this car or engine with stock oil pan take a 200thread or even a slick with ought suffering from oil starvation?? My car has steeda suspension shocks sway stop the hop chasis bracing if that helps.

also ur talking bout not wanting to modify my spindles, so if i decide to buy 19 inch rims in the future ur telling me i would have to modify my spindles if so why if u could
Please tell me. Thanx

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Wait wait lol my mind is blown lol.
Ok so i think my first question is can this car or engine with stock oil pan take a 200thread or even a slick with ought suffering from oil starvation?? My car has steeda suspension shocks sway stop the hop chasis bracing if that helps.

also ur talking bout not wanting to modify my spindles, so if i decide to buy 19 inch rims in the future ur telling me i would have to modify my spindles if so why if u could
Please tell me. Thanx
I know many new mustangs running 200tw no problem. Maybe bc of the deeper oil pan and 10 quarts of oil than the previous 8. I would look it up, you should be able to do 200tw without a problem I would believe so. By spindles I mean the actual lug nut where it threads on. As my past recommendation I would go with 18x10 since tires are cheaper that way and with an 18 you can get more sidewall which will help not bending your rim on track. You can go with a 19x10 rim without having to get new studs, you might just need to get some ford performance open ended lug nuts. If you want a rim that is more than 10 inches wide you would have to modify to stock spindle and get a true full rotatable set up or get a correct offset wheel (which as been discussed on the fourms look it up" but in that case you wont be able to rotate your rims and get maximum tire life out of the rubber.

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Personally I have fortune auto 510 coils with swift springs and Ive never experience wheel hop.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
I know many new mustangs running 200tw no problem. Maybe bc of the deeper oil pan and 10 quarts of oil than the previous 8. I would look it up, you should be able to do 200tw without a problem I would believe so. By spindles I mean the actual lug nut where it threads on. As my past recommendation I would go with 18x10 since tires are cheaper that way and with an 18 you can get more sidewall which will help not bending your rim on track. You can go with a 19x10 rim without having to get new studs, you might just need to get some ford performance open ended lug nuts. If you want a rim that is more than 10 inches wide you would have to modify to stock spindle and get a true full rotatable set up or get a correct offset wheel (which as been discussed on the fourms look it up" but in that case you wont be able to rotate your rims and get maximum tire life out of the rubber.
I have the 2017 gt it only takes 8 quarts, which gt do u have? Am just concerned that putting such an agressive tire would be to much for the pan or will induce oil starvation, i really dont want a blown engine

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I run sport cup2 tires and significantly wider wheels than stock. I’m supercharged and my suspension is completely modified. I and many others run their mustangs at Thunderhill and Sonoma very aggressively for years and I’ve never seen an issue you’re referring to. You’ll be fine regardless of your tire choice.
Just for your knowledge, the 15-17 5.0’s have 8 quart capacity and 2018 and up have 10 quart oil capacity.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
I run sport cup2 tires and significantly wider wheels than stock. I’m supercharged and my suspension is completely modified. I and many others run their mustangs at Thunderhill and Sonoma very aggressively for years and I’ve never seen an issue you’re referring to. You’ll be fine regardless of your tire choice.
Just for your knowledge, the 15-17 5.0’s have 8 quart capacity and 2018 and up have 10 quart oil capacity.
wow thank you very much for the info, it puts me at ease knowing that it wont be an issue, do you know why this cars don't have an issue with it, are they already baffled? just wondering if you knew, also do u have a 15-17 mustang or a 18+ I was aware that the 18+ have a 10 qt capacity just wondering if were comparing the same cars, thank you very much for your info. any other information from you would be greatly appreciated

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Mines a manual 16. The pans are baffled to an extent but there are better designs for sure. Don’t know what level of track experience you have or what group you signed up to go with but a completely stock mustang can do very well out there. If your experience is low, enjoy what you have. Learn the limitations of how your car operates now on the track and that will let you have a better understanding of what to improve for the car and yourself. Yes better tires will give you better traction allowing you to be more aggressive but without having the ability to adjust camber will wear the outside of those tires more. Each improvement you make creates a weakness in another area. This advice is based on you being new or having a few track experiences under your belt. I have driven plenty of cars on road course and even took classes long ago but even still I took my mustang on the track bone stock the first time.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Mines a manual 16. The pans are baffled to an extent but there are better designs for sure. Don’t know what level of track experience you have or what group you signed up to go with but a completely stock mustang can do very well out there. If your experience is low, enjoy what you have. Learn the limitations of how your car operates now on the track and that will let you have a better understanding of what to improve for the car and yourself. Yes better tires will give you better traction allowing you to be more aggressive but without having the ability to adjust camber will wear the outside of those tires more. Each improvement you make creates a weakness in another area. This advice is based on you being new or having a few track experiences under your belt. I have driven plenty of cars on road course and even took classes long ago but even still I took my mustang on the track bone stock the first time.
Totally agree! First year i took it out there bone stock, second year i dropped some money on the suspension, this year i dont have the money for rims but i do for some good tires which is why i been asking the experts here. Being that you drive a 16 gt u have the same car per say, i just want to be clear, is your oil pan stock? If so i guess. Shouldnt worry about any oil starvation issue then right? Am not at the level u are in but thats one thing i dont want to worry about. By the way was your car a performance pack or none pp?

Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Totally agree! First year i took it out there bone stock, second year i dropped some money on the suspension, this year i dont have the money for rims but i do for some good tires which is why i been asking the experts here. Being that you drive a 16 gt u have the same car per say, i just want to be clear, is your oil pan stock? If so i guess. Shouldnt worry about any oil starvation issue then right? Am not at the level u are in but thats one thing i dont want to worry about. By the way was your car a performance pack or none pp?
My oil pan is stock and my car is a PP so it has the larger radiator but is otherwise heavily modified. Don't worry about oil starvation unless you're low on oil. Enjoy and let us know what you end up going with.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
My oil pan is stock and my car is a PP so it has the larger radiator but is otherwise heavily modified. Don't worry about oil starvation unless you're low on oil. Enjoy and let us know what you end up going with.
Gotcha, man well thats awesome, what tire would u recommend me? Am on the stock tires right now. On my stock rims

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Such a loaded question. Lots of opinions on this matter and budget is a factor. I’m guessing you’ll want them for the street as well where they will mostly be used. I haven’t looked at stock sizes in a long time but if I could give you a short list for really good tires on track and street I’d say Michelin ps4s and Conti dw sportcontacts. There are lots of choices but get something that’s going to get you some longevity with really good traction. Plenty of tire threads around this forum to look up to.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Such a loaded question. Lots of opinions on this matter and budget is a factor. I’m guessing you’ll want them for the street as well where they will mostly be used. I haven’t looked at stock sizes in a long time but if I could give you a short list for really good tires on track and street I’d say Michelin ps4s and Conti dw sportcontacts. There are lots of choices but get something that’s going to get you some longevity with really good traction. Plenty of tire threads around this forum to look up to.
Well i hardly use this car in the streets i have a daily car, this car sees maybe 1500 a year, any othwr recommendation with that info? Ive heard the ps4 over heat after a couple
Laps not sure if thats true

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Well i hardly use this car in the streets i have a daily car, this car sees maybe 1500 a year, any othwr recommendation with that info? Ive heard the ps4 over heat after a couple
Laps not sure if thats true
re71 or r888r
Sponsored