Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Regarding the bold part.... On that we definitely agree, but there is always more to the story. Mulally is a great example. Because he is a trained and degreed engineer with experience with a highly technical product, he was able to transition from a CEO role in one industry to a CEO role in another industry. That happens a lot. Not always successfully, though. But even when you have an engineer born and raised within the industry, it doesn't mean that they will make a good CEO. We were all really excited when Robert Stempel, a career engineer, was promoted to CEO of GM. It didn't take long to realize he was in way over his head. He was a great engineer, but didn't have the right skillset to be a CEO.

Hackett has more of a marketing background. Marketing backgrounds (and sales backgrounds) also tend to transition well from industry to industry. In his case, maybe not so much. I lived through one of those too.

We had Ron Zarella come in from heading Bausch & Lomb marketing to head up GM marketing. :facepalm: I still have nightmares from an executive conference where he basically yelled at us for criticizing the Aztek and "challenged" all of us to ask to be assigned one as a company car so that we could demonstrate to people how well it drives. He was right that the thing drove really nice. Thing is, it was so butt ugly that you couldn't get a customer to get in the thing to see how well it drove. I was really disappointed that a guy who lived his career in marketing couldn't remember that one of the 4 Ps of marketing is PACKAGE. And the Aztek was one ugly package.
It sounds like we largely agree. I don't discount that someone can come from outside the automotive world, but the nature of the product and market make it challenging.

Everything I see from Hackett looks like the anti-Mullaly. He has his playbook and he's running it. Cut costs and add brands. He lacks Mullaly's understanding that products are the top priority and brand value stems from that.
Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Considering the first year production run is expected to be at max 55k units and over 20k units were reserved in the first two weeks leaves you grasping at straws. Ford's reservation was $500 vs Tesla's $100 so those numbers really can't be compared. I distinctly remember the huge number of people I know that put a $100 reservation of the Model 3 and no one I know currently owns one. You could say the same for Ford's reservation numbers not holding water either but $500 is a little more skin in the game and Ford will actually deliver on time unlike Tesla.
Talking about "grasping at straws" when Ford won't say how many reservations they have is funny. Why do you suppose they're so mum on the subject? People are assuming that reservation numbers are sequential in order by customer, but that's not necessarily true. The first 4000 went to dealer demos and you have no way of knowing whether other blocks in the serial are allocated for other purposes. So the fact that their reservation numbers are now at 28,000 doesn't mean that 28,000 people have paid for reservations.

But even 28,000 in over a month wouldn't represent the kind of success that would justify trashing the Mustang brand with an electric mom van. Tesla Model 3 reservations were $1000 at launch (not $100) and they racked up 325,000 reservations in the first week. That was for a four door sedan - a segment that Ford considers dead.

If the electric van segment were as hot as people want us to believe the entire US allocation would have sold out the first week. They haven't even sold out the "First Edition" in Europe yet. This is starting to smell like a debacle and its stink is going to taint the Mustang forever.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Plus... a reservation is just that, it’s not and no indication of any final SALE. Final cash sales and signed financial loan docs dictate true sales and units SOLD, not f’n “reservations”.

People who plunked down “reservation monies” can back out at any time and get their money refunded.

I can sit here and also say I sold 50,000 (insert whatever the hell you want here)... but did I REALLY, or am I just *saying* I sold 50,000 just to keep the media hype going.

Show me factual, on paper figures AND the ledgers to back up and prove the last minute BS decision to tag a “compliance EV” (that was most likely an Escape-E) with the iconic Mustang name and logos is making Ford some type of Superstar in the EV segment and making investors cream their pants for Ford stock...

I don’t see anyone clamoring for a “gotta have it” ME; only the fanbois on the ME forum, which is to be expected. Plus, hopefully everyone read all the little notes, fine print, exclamation points and disclaimers in that ME literature, because Ford definitely fluffed the uneducated public.

Like others have said, the ME media hype from Oct/Nov has been regurgitated with nothing new coming out of Ford or elsewhere. Their EV is no different from any other EV SUV (or small ICE SUV) in its segment - it’s redundant and boring in design, it looks like every other mid-size SUV that is a 4-door, egg shaped hatchback, period. By the time one options out a GT ME, they’re looking at most likely cost reaching upwards of $70k (*base starts at $60.5k)... and that is “affordable” or “competitive” ... to what?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Talking about "grasping at straws" when Ford won't say how many reservations they have is funny. Why do you suppose they're so mum on the subject? People are assuming that reservation numbers are sequential in order by customer, but that's not necessarily true. The first 4000 went to dealer demos and you have no way of knowing whether other blocks in the serial are allocated for other purposes. So the fact that their reservation numbers are now at 28,000 doesn't mean that 28,000 people have paid for reservations.

But even 28,000 in over a month wouldn't represent the kind of success that would justify trashing the Mustang brand with an electric mom van. Tesla Model 3 reservations were $1000 at launch (not $100) and they racked up 325,000 reservations in the first week. That was for a four door sedan - a segment that Ford considers dead.

If the electric van segment were as hot as people want us to believe the entire US allocation would have sold out the first week. They haven't even sold out the "First Edition" in Europe yet. This is starting to smell like a debacle and its stink is going to taint the Mustang forever.

The problem every automaker will have in the near future is a complete saturation of the market in terms of SUVs. There are only so many models of the same class of vehicle worth having.... That combined with rising costs and they are going to have serious issues ahead.

The key none of them seem to have figured out is that it's not about having an EV or having an SUV. The key is being DIFFERENT.... Different than anything that came before it and anything currently existing. That's how Tesla racked up almost 400k pre-orders for the model 3. The car was completely different than anything currently on the market with the promise of being affordable (which they more or less achieved). Tesla became desirable like how the mustang was in 64.... All Ford has here is another boring SUV with a name that doesn't belong on it and they think that makes this thing "different" and desirable.

No Ford, what would have been different is making a true EV Mustang based off of your evos concept. Comfortable seating for 4 with 4 doors (if anyone is not up to speed on the evos concept, Google) (2 rear doors of this concept were integrated into the quarter panels so it looks like a 2 door) and a hatch, yet still retains a 2 door Fastback profile and look. THAT would have been the mustang for a new generation....

Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
You might get it...

I heard the new Bronco is now being delayed because Farley and Hack-it are telling Bill Ford that they need to rename it.

Yes, you guessed it - it’s now the “MustBroncheroang-E”. It will not only be a fully enclosed super larger SUV with no relational value to the heritage Bronco, but will also come with an optional open bed - to tap into the Ranchero resurrection...

Oh and the “E”? Well of course, that designates it’s going to be a 100% EV skateboard too; they couldn’t fit the new name ”MACHMustBroncheroang-E” across the tailgate, front fender or front grille... so they shortened the name (somewhat).

They also couldn’t use the new logo, which was planned as a Bull and Bronco F-ing a Mustang.... just not politically correct in these times... that’s still in re-design phase.

:cwl::crackup:

Can someone supply that concept render?

Carry on....
:D:D

whpony96

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Race Red 50 Years Appearance Package
I really don't like the way they've called it the Mustang Mach E. Kind of pisses me off a bit. Should have just kept it as the Mach E.
I can picture it already, someone pulling up next to you in one of these "hey, i've got a mustang too!!!"................"no...no you don't"
And you'll really be pissed when the new Mach E blows the doors off your ICE Mustang as well. With a couple tweaks the MachE will be faster 0-60 then the 2020 GT500!

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Mustang Mach E = disgrace

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Ford keep showing the Mach e on British TV. After a while the design sinks into your brain and the current ICE Mustang design starts to feel old fashioned. This is how Ford have kept going for over 100 years, they understand human nature.
Every time I see the advert on TV, or on Facebook, it turns my stomach and I long for them to focus their "Mustang" attention back on the S550/S650. The irony is, if they'd called this anything but a Mustang, I'd be supporting it and routing for its success.

Am I the target audience as a die-hard Mustang fan? Probably not. But then why use the Mustang branding? Because it's an easy cop-out for Ford. Therefore my respect for Ford is lost.

But maybe that's just me.....

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
> Soon she will replace her Toyota Highlander hybrid with a first edition red Mach-E.

Right so they found quotes from people who already own hybrids and familiar with the "lifestyle" and will add/replace with a PEV. 40 orders and 100 after 2 months, 70 orders... Add a zero to that number and maybe you'd have a point worth reporting.

> Now we can get a Mustang to haul our dogs and also have electric.
*sigh*. Therein lies the problem.
Sponsored