Speed Phenoms GT500 has clutch overheating problem on drag strip pass

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Lol, bruh, there is an issue with clutch temps under certain circumstances and what he documented was the protective strategy being activated. It's laid out in the owner's manual where it explains why it occurs and how to mitigate it. It's that simple bro. The community witnessed something it had yet to see. Nobody is claiming the car did something it wasn't designed to do.
If he we're on the tires the car was designed for it would be fine...

If you want a factory built drag car buy a cobrajet
Sponsored

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
An extra long burn out has nothing to do with launching. The clutch is engaged and not slipping.

The issue with DCTs is creep and general heating of the unit.

I wonder how many here know that his burnout in second gear used the other clutch than the launch.

He didn’t do anything wrong, the transmission is just heat sensitive.

You can launch a 2014 911 turbo S 50 times in a row with no issues.

If I remember correctly a turbo S of that gear made 550tq in overboost for launching. That’s much more torque than the GT500 at launch rpm, and the Porsche goes through four wheels so there’s no wheel spin to aid the clutch.

If we see more overheating of launching, won’t be good for ford. But a hell of a car that I’m still debating seeking out.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... If we see more overheating of launching, won’t be good for ford. But a hell of a car that I’m still debating seeking out.
Heat sensitive doesn't sound good. Already looking like they will have to go back to selling the car with the Tremec manual and reduce $10k off the MSRP in order to compete with ZL1

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Based on my interpretation of the video, he stayed on the launch control limiter (2-step) longer on the second run.
That caused excessive heat in the clutch and combined with the increased traction which caused extra heat in the clutch on launch, insert heat protection limp mode.
Something always slips on a drag launch. With the stock tires, they slip before the clutch does. With drag radials, they’ll reverse that balance and the clutch will slip first, causing heat and limp mode.
Being an IRS and DCT car, I’d really like to see the car on a bias ply MT ET Street or Hoosier.
Ultimately the DCT needs some tuning, maybe extra cooling, and ultimately may need new internal parts; hopefully just clutches. Tremec did build some strength in this unit for use in the Shelby and Corvette as initial applications as they know buyers of each will do what we do, add more power.
Any rationale buyer should’ve expected a learning curve, but I still say the DCT will prove effective.

If he we're on the tires the car was designed for it would be fine...

Dude get over yourself.
Not everyone wants what you want or buys this car for the reasons you do.
This car is designed to excel on the street, strip and track.
SP has really gained my respect, and guess what, he did what most guys will do.
Throw a drag radial on it and head to the drag strip.
More guys will do that than taking it to the road course.
Either way, the new 500 really is triathlete type of car, and if your serious, you’ll be changing the stock rubber out if you go to either type of track.
So no, even if you want to go to the drag strip, you can go have fun in a 500 without buying a CJ.
-J

Sponsored

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Heat sensitive doesn't sound good. Already looking like they will have to go back to selling the car with the Tremec manual and reduce $10k off the MSRP in order to compete with ZL1
Would be a huge step back for the performance of this car with a manual.
-J

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Based on my interpretation of the video, he stayed on the launch control limiter (2-step) longer on the second run.
That caused excessive heat in the clutch and combined with the increased traction which caused extra heat in the clutch on launch, insert heat protection limp mode.
Something always slips on a drag launch. With the stock tires, they slip before the clutch does. With drag radials, they’ll reverse that balance and the clutch will slip first, causing heat and limp mode.
Being an IRS and DCT car, I’d really like to see the car on a bias ply MT ET Street or Hoosier.
Ultimately the DCT needs some tuning, maybe extra cooling, and ultimately may need new internal parts; hopefully just clutches. Tremec did build some strength in this unit for use in the Shelby and Corvette as initial applications as they know buyers of each will do what we do, add more power.
Any rationale buyer should’ve expected a learning curve, but I still say the DCT will prove effective.

Dude get over yourself.
Not everyone wants what you want or buys this car for the reasons you do.
This car is designed to excel on the street, strip and track.
SP has really gained my respect, and guess what, he did what most guys will do.
Throw a drag radial on it and head to the drag strip.
More guys will do that than taking it to the road course.
Either way, the new 500 really is triathlete type of car, and if your serious, you’ll be changing the stock rubber out if you go to either type of track.
So no, even if you want to go to the drag strip, you can go have fun in a 500 without buying a CJ.
-J
why would linelock cause clutch heat? The clutch isn’t slipping, it engages and then stays engaged. Also when it shifted to second gear the other clutch engaged and the first clutch wasn’t engaged at all!

During the launch the clutch always slips in a dct. It never dumps like in a three pedal car. It’s weird, but it’s almost as though Ford never intended a 100% traction launch at even stock 3200rpms.

The traction control always interferes just a bit

Another thing ford everyone to think about - this is with the stock torque management nannies in place too.

I think Shep, Dodson, and Jacks transmission need to come in sooner than later.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Ultimately the DCT needs some tuning, maybe extra cooling, and ultimately may need new internal parts;
wet clutch to the rescue. Or just quit trying to break shit for no useful purpose.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Part out!

Can a stock ZL1 run mid 10’s with no mods on stock tires?

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
I don't know if this has been posted, but the kid ain't sitting around in his garage polishing his car.
How many people here would do what he has done in one month in the Winter? One month 5,000 miles and trips to multiple drag strips and road courses.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Drag racing this car is such a colossal waste of money and waste of an amazing car. This car belongs on the race track the true racetrack and on the street.
It damn well better be able to do both or Ford is in for some bad publicity.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Hmm...Ford sure was misguided inviting all those enthusiasts and media to run their GT500's on the drag strip in Vegas for a few days. What the heck were they thinking?

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
So many people freaking out over nothing here. The car went into limp mode one time and then operated normally. DCT's are amazing pieces of equipment and this is the same sort of thing the GT-R owners went through when they first started turning up the power. The aftermarket came to their assistance and those cars are now making 2500+hp through their DCT's. This unit will be fine with some work.

For what it's worth my buddy just turned a 10.1@144mph with his 2020 GT500 on Toyo R888r's the other night and had 0 reported transmission issues.
Sponsored