Speed Phenoms GT500 has clutch overheating problem on drag strip pass

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
He did expose an important issue we had yet to see. Can't hate him for that.
Bro there is no issue... This is all operator error and the car is doing exactly what it was designed to do.

The car is designed for the tires it came with. Sp put on drag radials and did a massive burn out.

All of that heat up the clutch then he launched pretty hard using the cars launch control which slips the clutch. The car rightly discovered the higher temps and cut the power to protect the clutch and tranny...

If you use the car on the tires it came with you won't have any issues. Once you start putting radials on it the car will need to be recalibrated to let it tolerate the higher traction loads and accept the higher clutch temps.

Nothing out of the normal. Everyone needs to calm down...
Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
The guy is out there using his car and posting videos that the majority of us enjoy watching. This is more than other owners are doing. What I find interesting is he has decided to keep his car stock unlike others who don't even bother to baseline their car before running for tunes, exhaust, pulleys, and E85. I'm more interested in what it can do stock vs modified, or stock with DRs.

Keep up the great work Speed Phenom your providing great entertainment, and knowledge to the forum.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Exedy is gonna make a lot of money selling clutches for this car. This car looks like a pain in the ass to drag. Turn this off. Turn this on.
Drag racing this car is such a colossal waste of money and waste of an amazing car. This car belongs on the race track the true racetrack and on the street.

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Drag racing this car is such a colossal waste of money and waste of an amazing car. This car belongs on the race track the true racetrack and on the street.
What??????

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
What??????
Yeah bro. The car has one of the most advanced engines, brakes, drivetrains, chassis, suspension, aerodynamics ford has ever put into a street car. And to take all of that and only go down a drag strip is a huge waste.

You could have bought a 3000.00 fox body swapped in a bone stock coyote from an f150 and run the same time as one of these stock for way way less money.

Put a blower on the foxyote and you'll run 8s for well under 20k.

I dont get drag racing though, seems silly to spend a bunch of money and destroy a perfectly good car all to be fast in 60ft... After the 60ft nothing else really matters... The rest of it is largely just the physical capability of the car.

A road course is no joke and that's what this car was designed for. It'll drag race but once u get off the street tires it will need mods to drag reliably

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Yeah bro. The car has one of the most advanced engines, brakes, drivetrains, chassis, suspension, aerodynamics ford has ever put into a street car. And to take all of that and only go down a drag strip is a huge waste.

You could have bought a 3000.00 fox body swapped in a bone stock coyote from an f150 and run the same time as one of these stock for way way less money.

I dont get drag racing though, seems silly to spend a bunch of money and destroy a perfectly good car all to be fast in 60ft... After the 60ft nothing else really matters... The rest of it is largely just the physical capability of the car.

A road course is no joke and that's what this car was designed for. It'll drag race but once u get off the street tires it will need mods to drag reliably
Modding it to death is a waste of money.
However talking it to the drag strip and running 10s in the quarter perfectly stock is pretty cool.
There are only 3 muscle cars that can run 10s perfectly stock.
2018 Dodge Demon
2019+Redeye
2020 GT500

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Bro there is no issue... This is all operator error and the car is doing exactly what it was designed to do.

The car is designed for the tires it came with. Sp put on drag radials and did a massive burn out.

All of that heat up the clutch then he launched pretty hard using the cars launch control which slips the clutch. The car rightly discovered the higher temps and cut the power to protect the clutch and tranny...

If you use the car on the tires it came with you won't have any issues. Once you start putting radials on it the car will need to be recalibrated to let it tolerate the higher traction loads and accept the higher clutch temps.

Nothing out of the normal. Everyone needs to calm down...
Ford gave the car line lock, Launch control, etc. Seams to me they expected a lot of drag racing. For every one of these that hits a road course. 30 will hit a drag strip with drag radials bolted on. And the clutches are always the first thing to go in any boosted car. Big powered boosted GTs, GTR’s you name it. Next shafts break. Since this is Fords first try at a transmission in a car this powerful. First year transmissions are going to be weak stock. Ford will beef em up going forward.
If you wanna be the champ. That means you gotta beat all comers. Venom kills demons. Wasn’t meant to kill demons on a road course.

Melmark93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mel
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Kona/White stripes, 93 MarkVIII Vortech, 94 Mark VIII, 13 MKS Ecoboost

Not everybody has a road course just down the block (Road America - 4.5 hr drive), drag strips are everywhere.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Not everybody has a road course just down the block (Road America - 4.5 hr drive), drag strips are everywhere.
I checked and you managed to settle in a road course hell hole. You're basically 3 to 3-1/2 hours from MidAmerica Motorplex in Iowa, Autobahn Country Club in Illinois, and Road America in Wisconsin.

Sponsored

Melmark93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mel
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Kona/White stripes, 93 MarkVIII Vortech, 94 Mark VIII, 13 MKS Ecoboost
I checked and you managed to settle in a road course hell hole. You're basically 3 to 3-1/2 hours from MidAmerica Motorplex in Iowa, Autobahn Country Club in Illinois, and Road America in Wisconsin.
That's right, but there's 3 good drag strips within 90 miles. You do with what you got. :-)

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Lol, bruh, there is an issue with clutch temps under certain circumstances and what he documented was the protective strategy being activated. It's laid out in the owner's manual where it explains why it occurs and how to mitigate it. It's that simple bro. The community witnessed something it had yet to see. Nobody is claiming the car did something it wasn't designed to do.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
The guy is out there using his car and posting videos that the majority of us enjoy watching. This is more than other owners are doing. What I find interesting is he has decided to keep his car stock unlike others who don't even bother to baseline their car before running for tunes, exhaust, pulleys, and E85. I'm more interested in what it can do stock vs modified, or stock with DRs.

Keep up the great work Speed Phenom your providing great entertainment, and knowledge to the forum.
Agree. My opinion on Speed Phenom has changed. I think he has contributed valuable information with respect to the 2020 GT500 and I also like that he took his buddy Scott for a spin at the road course. Speed Phenom is alright by me.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I suspect the clutch in these
Lol, bruh, there is an issue with clutch temps under certain circumstances and what he documented was the protective strategy being activated. It's laid out in the owner's manual where it explains why it occurs and how to mitigate it. It's that simple bro. The community witnessed something it had yet to see. Nobody is claiming the car did something it wasn't designed to do.
Yeah that’s how I would interpret it. It’s amazing how much hate people have for SP, yet he’s out there putting out the best content out there for GT500.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Modding it to death is a waste of money.
However talking it to the drag strip and running 10s in the quarter perfectly stock is pretty cool.
There are only 3 muscle cars that can run 10s perfectly stock.
2018 Dodge Demon
2019+Redeye
2020 GT500
The other 2 would get gapped on a road coarse by the gt500
Sponsored