Hood Protector - Aeroskin

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Hi Guys - I searched the forum but nothing came out. Did any of you install Hood Protector - Aeroskin?
https://accessories.ford.com/deflector-11988.html
I used to have this on my Subaru years ago and it was very good. Protecting hood from a lot of road debris.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
PPF (paint protection film). Xpel, 3M, Suntek

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Listen to the advice of dom418, Shift, and Tomster. You won't regret it.
I used Xpel.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lenFeb

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
That would kill the front end of the car, don’t do it. Looks too 1980’s. PPF is the way to go. Do as much of the front end as you can afford
PPF (paint protection film). Xpel, 3M, Suntek
Thanks for your reply!
My concern with PPF is that, if installed over vinyl stripes the PPF will develop a bubbles on the edges of stripes. Also, if PPF need to be removed for some reason, stripes will be removed as well. To replace the stripes it'll cost around $2K. What is your experience regarding PPF and racing stripes, did you have an air bubbles on the edges? Can you post some pictures.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
My stripes have a separate piece over each one. Xpel has that option in their pattern. No bubble. Car is put away so no photos to share. You wouldn’t see anything anyway.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks for your reply!
My concern with PPF is that, if installed over vinyl stripes the PPF will develop a bubbles on the edges of stripes. Also, if PPF need to be removed for some reason, stripes will be removed as well. To replace the stripes it'll cost around $2K. What is your experience regarding PPF and racing stripes, did you have an air bubbles on the edges? Can you post some pictures.
An installer who would do it in one piece and leave an air gap is incompetent and lazy.

Sponsored
OP
OP
lenFeb

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
An installer who would do it in one piece and leave an air gap is incompetent and lazy.
Thanks Tomster. If I understood your statement correctly, PPF should be applied in separate pieces? Or good installer would do it in one piece and will not leave bubbles along side stripes edges?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Tomster. If I understood your statement correctly, PPF should be applied in separate pieces? Or good installer would do it in one piece and will not leave bubbles along side stripes edges?
A good installer will either do it in multiple pieces or make relief cuts at each seam in the stripe.

Voodoo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2019 GT350 & 2023 Ford Raptor
My installer did one piece with relief cuts over the stripes and I haven't spotted any bubbles at all. I specifically asked that he try to do the one piece and it turned out very well. I know with some vehicles the stripes aren't as tacky as the ones on our vehicles. Since the stripes are "tackier" the PPF holds much better to them. With my limited knowledge this is my understanding :)

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 17 Charger HC, 16 Challenger HC
Hmmm I've PPF'd 3 cars now. I was concerned about air bubbles over the stripes. I used a very good installer. Didn't ask if he used relief cuts but I don't think he did? My car is Ford Perf Blue with White stripes and if you look very very very closely and I mean nose to the car and press on it with your finger you may be able to discern a slight air gap. I never see it, nobody else has ever seen or mentioned it either. Point is under a microscope I'm sure it's there but if you can't see it from even a foot away the protection far out weighs any anal retentiveness. In my experience (Black Hellcat Full car filmed 2x now due to an accident, the GT350 and one other) film is an imperfect art. Even on the black Hellcat you cannot see seems or edges unless you go hunting for them. That car is 3 years old w/ 16k hard driven miles including multiple road course days, drag strips, road trips and runways. The paint is swirl, chip and scratch free. If you hunt and find a micro bubble is that really gonna bother you vs the 99% perfection?

Installers matter! That is the most important factor. Personally I thought using multiple strips you'd be more likely to see seems and gaps due to imperfections in the installation. Color also matters. FP Blue hides a lot with it's metal flake...Black is the worst....white like your car I'd imagine will hide imperfections in the film very well.

I did the full "Track pack". Full front and 1/4 panels, Hood, Mirrors and rockers. Because of my experience with black I also did the spoiler and the black piece between the tail lights. There only to be able to clean it with out scratching or swirling. I can spray detail it for light road dust which only shows on the black portions with no fear. That Swing with the Gurney flap was a bitch with all the contours. I DID NOT do the roof or even the first 6-8 inches of it or the rear flares in front of the rear wheels because I was overly cautious about the appearance of the dreaded air gap and seems. I see now I could have but still think it's not needed. On track days those areas are easily covered with Track Tape.
Sponsored