Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT350 Engine Failure

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
The Voodoo has the engine builders signature on it, doesn't it? This is 100% a mechanical failure.

Just make sure your next one is built by someone else :).
I'm sure every engine builder puts the engine together to the same specifications that plate with name is only to tell you who assembled it. And every builder does it to the same precise tolerances. So I wouldn't be ragging on the builder. Thats like the saying "shooting the messenger" If engine fails its going to be either material defect break down or operator negligence.
Sponsored

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Good advice from Cobra Jet which is what I followed for my two engine replacements and eventual buyback. Really bad fact pattern..I've come across in person a very high number of people who track their 350/Rs that have experienced blown engines in CA. Was hoping that v2 engine would be stronger. Looking more and more likely that the FPC secondary vibrations may be the culprit, which is pretty much the last thing that cannot really be "fixed" unlike other components (cyl rings, oil pump, etc).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Looking more and more likely that the FPC secondary vibrations may be the culprit,
which begs the question, I wonder what GM is going to do on their FPC effort. Dual counter-balancers running at 2x rpm?

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
which begs the question, I wonder what GM is going to do on their FPC effort. Dual counter-balancers running at 2x rpm?
There are two different types of FPC V8 orientations. The Voodoo is an Up-Down-Up-Down crank (UDUD). Ferrari uses an Up-Down-Down-Up crank (UDDU). The UDDU crank orientation is more balanced in the front to back order, essentially being two I4 engines side by side. It typically requires two completely separate intake banks, so each side has its own manifold, throttle body, etc. Jamal Hameedi had said packaging constraints (and I assume cost) prohibited them using an UDDU crank in the Voodoo. I assume for the race version of the new corvette they'll have both the room from the mid engine layout and money to go with a UDDU crank, which would eliminate some of the vibration. But alas, this is all just my personal conjecture...

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Did you find out if your engine has a problem or was it something electrical?
Thanks.

Sponsored

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Engine seized, Frank. He edited the first post.

OP
OP
overdrive714

overdrive714

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT350, 2004 Toyota RAV4, 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
Sorry to keep everyone waiting on the suspense, just updated the post! Thank you everyone for their inputs lately. I also wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year, let's hope to start off strong in 2020!!

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Just read your update - wut the heck??? How in the world did plugs get smashed by the pistons? It's like they installed the wrong heads on your car or something.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
That really suxks. Hopefully when it’s all said and done you can put it behind you and not worry about it. I had a new cobra mustang back in the mid 90’s that basically had the same thing take place. Took ford roughly two months to get the engine replaced. Never had a hint of a problem after. The car is still local, has roughly 150k on the odometer and still looks almost new. The guy that bought it from me still has it.

OP
OP
overdrive714

overdrive714

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT350, 2004 Toyota RAV4, 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
Just read your update - wut the heck??? How in the world did plugs get smashed by the pistons? It's like they installed the wrong heads on your car or something.
Yeah, the fact that it's been able to run like that for 1300 miles. I'm just glad that they're replacing the whole engine!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So much for "hand built" engines and "quality control". What a farce. It's 2019 for pete's sake.

I guess nobody thought to check and validate every spark plug hole depth and tip 'poke' before mounting the head. Although my guess the fault was bad/improper rod bolts/nuts or cam chain jumped a couple of teeth - because of faulty tensioner mechanism.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
That is bizarre - how did the spark plugs suddenly come in contact with the pistons? And sparkplug or valve contact with pistons doesn't usually result in a completely seized engine. Maybe the crank sheared sending a valve into a piston or a valve head simply broke or something. Frustrating when you can't get the full story. Good luck with the replacement.

That_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 K2284 --> L616
That is bizarre - how did the spark plugs suddenly come in contact with the pistons? And sparkplug or valve contact with pistons doesn't usually result in a completely seized engine. Maybe the crank sheared sending a valve into a piston or a valve head simply broke or something. Frustrating when you can't get the full story. Good luck with the replacement.
For me it sounded like something broke and the valve may have dropped into the engine.
Sponsored