2020 GT500 CFTP Destroys C8 Corvette - Motortrend Comparison Review

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
I’m right there with you on the cage. My wife got use throw out at Atco. She trapped 140 on her first run. Spun out the second and they told her to beat it. Getting throw out was the highlight of her racing season.
Haha! Love it... same thing happened to me way way back... with our 97 Viper GTS coupe... MPH rules were much lower back then... and 11.50 was ejection... I got booted for too much MPH... left with a giant grin ear to ear!

Unique fortune of easy access to Spa, Ring and Autobahn amounts to having nothing to prove but still, admittedly, much to learn. Always up for learning and sharing, while ignoring the bickering...

Thanks for the honorable mention.
I got to experience the Ring, Spa & the AutoBahn during my Euro delivery in 2017 for my 2018 GT3... long story short... Porsche couldn't register NA cars for 6 weeks... (and I happened to be picking mine up during that window)... so 'regrettably' they gave me a 2018 Turbo S and I just got to 'look at my GT3' before they shipped her home. Best thing about the Turbo S... it was November 6th week... rainy and wet all week... while I put 2000 KM on their Turbo S... did 202MPH on the Autobahn, Had the time of my life on Spa, making new friends with some other racers in England... and then got to do 3 laps around the Ring! You're definitely lucky with those roads/tracks near you!
TurboS_Spa.png
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I got to experience the Ring, Spa & the AutoBahn during my Euro delivery in 2017 for my 2018 GT3... long story short... Porsche couldn't register NA cars for 6 weeks... (and I happened to be picking mine up during that window)... so 'regrettably' they gave me a 2018 Turbo S and I just got to 'look at my GT3' before they shipped her home. Best thing about the Turbo S... it was November 6th week... rainy and wet all week... while I put 2000 KM on their Turbo S... did 202MPH on the Autobahn, Had the time of my life on Spa, making new friends with some other racers in England... and then got to do 3 laps around the Ring! You're definitely lucky with those roads/tracks near you!
TurboS_Spa.png
Sounds like a great experience. Next time you come through let me know...really. Know plenty of people who can facilitate the next level of experience. Includes quirky people like a Porsche "dashboard engineer"...

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
'says the guy that drives a piece of shit 2003 car that is 17 years old
is this a joke? Or are you really calling the iconic car that showed GM and FCA the recipe how to try to compete, a POS?

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a great experience. Next time you come through let me know...really. Know plenty of people who can facilitate the next level of experience. Includes quirky people like a Porsche "dashboard engineer"...
Caballus, you got it! Hoping to do another euro delivery in a year or two!

Dave

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Your absolutely right. And I’d be cool if the magazine racers would just own it! I respect anyone that gets out and does their thing. I don’t care if your not good at it. I don’t care if your in a Hyundai. Guys like blaq that just sit and make stuff up all day. Claims he’s hit 180mph on a road course? Really? I have no time for that. And This Minn character is just recycling The same lines as blaq. Talks about what he thinks people can afford. Like buying a GT350 is some amazing feat. He had bad luck with a GT350. So now He’s a walking Chevy commercial. Get the f$&k out of here with that.
@Minn19 gets to the track. He's definitely salty about the two different GT350s he owned, but I can't blame him for that. Heck, his experiences are the main reason I don't still own a GT350. I loved that car more than any I've ever owned, but I was afraid to keep it past the warranty period.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
@Minn19 gets to the track. He's definitely salty about the two different GT350s he owned, but I can't blame him for that. Heck, his experiences are the main reason I don't still own a GT350. I loved that car more than any I've ever owned, but I was afraid to keep it past the warranty period.
I feel for anyone that had an issue. But ya can’t come back guns a blazing. Cause you had an issue.

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Right there with you @Hack. Gt350 was one of the most unique and raw cars I’ve ever owned but the thought of owning it without a power train warranty did not appeal to me. My loyalty is not brand focused. The blind loyalty in this thread is almost humorous. What’s next GT500 vs Bugatti?

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Right there with you @Hack. Gt350 was one of the most unique and raw cars I’ve ever owned but the thought of owning it without a power train warranty did not appeal to me. My loyalty is not brand focused. The blind loyalty in this thread is almost humorous. What’s next GT500 vs Bugatti?
i need to find my ZR1 vs Bugatti... stand by! Found it...

GT500 is going to be a beast seeing that Lund thread!

Cheers,
Dave

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I feel for anyone that had an issue. But ya can’t come back guns a blazing. Cause you had an issue.
Well really you can, but I don't think he's "guns a blazin'" - at least not like he could be. And I give him a bit of a pass because I know he owned a couple GT350s and used them the way they should be used - and IIRC he had two engine replacements on two different cars. I don't give him a complete pass to say whatever he wants, but I at least see his point of view.

Anyway - IMO owning a ZL1 1LE shows real commitment. I don't think I would even consider one based on how stiff the suspension is. And I suspect the GT500 will walk it on the road course - no contest. But the ZL1 1LE is fast and I bet it's fun too. Most of us would probably love to drive one on track.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I had the same issue. Ford was not keeping up their end of the bargain.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I definitely am biased and have some brand loyalty to Ford, but by all accounts the GT500 is another home run. The GT350 is a really special car as well. I'm determined to own another one someday.

The C8 base car seems like mixed results to me. Really good but not great whereas the GT500 is actually great.

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I definitely am biased and have some brand loyalty to Ford, but by all accounts the GT500 is another home run. The GT350 is a really special car as well. I'm determined to own another one someday.

The C8 base car seems like mixed results to me. Really good but not great whereas the GT500 is actually great.
i agree here as well, but remember, the GT500 is going on it’s 6th year of prior production mustang runs for this generation. The C8 is at year 1, and completely new to GM.

They’ll improve year over year as well. And are already outperforming their C7 base model. The following models should be just as exciting.

Dave

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
'says the guy that drives a piece of shit 2003 car that is 17 years old
It’s not my only car. And I don’t drive the piece of pure performance awesomeness Cobra much anymore.

When it was new, it was a statement. Now, even 17 years and a few mods ago, it hangs. So you can take your salt and cry me an ocean.

but look! You’re saying bad words now. Wash that filthy mouth out.

I knew that last post had to hurt. The truth did that when you’re on the wrong side of it.

maybe you should go back to your safe space at camaro6

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
It’s not my only car. And I don’t drive the piece of pure performance awesomeness Cobra much anymore.

When it was new, it was a statement. Now, even 17 years and a few mods ago, it hangs. So you can take your salt and cry me an ocean.

but look! You’re saying bad words now. Wash that filthy mouth out.

I knew that last post had to hurt. The truth did that when you’re on the wrong side of it.

maybe you should go back to your safe space at camaro6
Nothing wrong with a 2003 Cobra. I almost bought one myself when they had the SVT 10th anniversary edition. Beat myself up for not getting it.

Last edited:

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack

Yeah the 500 looks like a killer package but with adms you’re getting into different territory. There are other options (without the gear selector from a fusion) if you’re looking to buy now and you’re not looking to squeeze the last 10th of a second out of a quarter mile. The c8 looks good but I’m 6’-0” 200 and by all accounts it’s a snug fit. The rear end is hideous and GM will likely have some growing pains with the platform. The initial production of the c7 was filled with issues. I considered one in 2014 but the corvette forums scared me away. The c8 will offer higher performance variants on a level with the 500 or higher. Contrary to some on here it will be competitively priced. I expect Ford will then hit the ball back across the net and edge the c8 out and so on. (If we’re not hybrid or full electric by then, gross) I get the exuberance by some of the fan boys on here but the c8 comparison is apples and oranges right now. The two cars are at very different ends of development.
Sponsored