Sponsored

2019 5.2 Voodoo Bbq / typewriter tick

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
This sounds awfully like infamous 5.0 bbq tick. Car was just driven and oil temp was around 200F, and it’s heard at idle only so far, haven’t heard it while moving, yet. I say yet because I read in some 5.0 cases it may progressively get louder. It’s doesn’t appear to be rhythmic, nor the RPMs have an impact on the noise pattern. Motor is 2019 gen 2 with 550 miles. Started to happen after the first oil change at 500 miles. Any input would be appreciated. Dropped it off at the dealer few days ago, they haven’t isolated the root cause yet. Still waiting. With only 5000 miles of ownership I went thru 1 motor (spun bearing) and now this noise, hope Ford can restore some confidence...because it’s not looking to good right now.

Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Sounds almost like a metallic tic the exhaust system would make, like a heat shield or something. Should be easy to find with the car on a lift.

OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Sounds almost like a metallic tic the exhaust system would make, like a heat shield or something. Should be easy to find with the car on a lift.
That’s what I thought but we are on day 2 with service manager working on it and they don’t know what’s causing it.

CNFLCTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Same thing started on my 19 after the first oil change. Starts occurring once the car is warmed up. Haven’t taken it in yet given it’s winter in Chicago and she’s covered up. Curious what your dealer does. Keep us posted please.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Good news is it's likely not internal to the engine. As others said, I'm inclined to think something to do with exhaust.

OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Good news is it's likely not internal to the engine. As others said, I'm inclined to think something to do with exhaust.
Hope so, but then again why can’t they find it after 2 days, if it’s not motor related. They replaced my motor with almost surgical precision so I would imagine they are competent to find an “exhaust” related noise. Crossing fingers here.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
The sound is clearly not rotational so I doubt there is anything wrong with the engine. Is it there when you first start the car with no heat in the system?

CNFLCTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
The concerning part to me is the linkage between a first oil change and the noise starting. Mine was perfectly noise free until my first oil change. Since then....the tick. Based on all of the research I’ve done on this specific noise, that appears to be consistent....which by default would link it to an internal engine issue. Who knows. I’ve yet to see one case of the tick solved online with the exception of a 5.0 owner adding Ceratec to the oil (posted a before and after video showing it solved the issue).

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Sounds like the brake tick to me. Anytime I drive and let it sit, I hear the brakes tick while they are cooling down. Try it after the brakes have cooled down, but while the engine is still warm.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Does it happen on start up of a cold engine or only starts once it warms up some?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I can’t believe they can’t find that. A rattle at idle is the best rattle to have...if you’re gonna have one.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
That sounds exactly like the bbq/typewtiter tick. On the plus side, apart from being annoying, there haven't been any issues linked to it. It's been beaten to death across multiple forums so that's saying something.

OP
OP

hiiammarcin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I’m going to do my best to relay the info dealer told me. They tracked noise to cylinder 4 lower bearing. After the service manager spoke to a Ford engineer he said this completely normal and some car exhibit this and some not (just like 5.0 and some going back to 2011), but apparently this hasn’t been tracked to any catastrophic failures in the past or any premature wear. And it’s normal. Supposedly. But let’s be optimistic here. The way I understood what’s happening was that the bearings are supposed to have a layer of pressurized oil around the crank as a layer of protection from friction, and the noise we hearing is slight drop in the that pressure. Apparently it’s minuscule, e.g. correct pressure is 30psi and actual is 28 or 29 (not using realistic values here because he didn’t provide any).
Although this begs the question of how isn’t this going to lead to premature wear on the motor if the there is slightest amount of friction? Supposedly it’s more apparent with the a/c condenser running because slight oil pressure loss when the ac is running.

He also told me they had motor with this symptom pinned at 6000RPMs for 60k miles without any issues. C8 vettes apparently have the same tick. Additives like ceratec work or running thinner oil is a “fix”, but isn’t this really putting a bandaid on a problem? He told me not to call it a problem, because it’s not, but at this point I’m bit more hesitant to take their advice and I’d rather be cautious than anything else. Also I would imagine thinner oil would substantially decrease a layer of protection a track day when the car is running hard.

Since this appears to happen after the first oil change, I asked if there is break oil but he didn’t know nor did the engineer. Strange.

I could push back, which would result in flying an engineer to perform tests, but they would 99% deem it as normal. Pushing further may result in another motor with a condition of “this would be the last replacement” as we deemed it normal and you etc.

I may turn to Amsoil after this and see what happens, but I refuse to add any additives. The noise completely disappears when ac is turned off and I think I’ll wait to see if bothers me more. From the first motor replacement I got my premium warranty extended to August 2022 so I have some time to brew on it. Not sure if this relieved some anxiety or added more at this point. Anyhow hope this kind of helped.
Sponsored