Sponsored

Why do dealers waste money on their stickers and plate frames?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Just curious if someone here works for a dealer. IM just curious why dealers waste so much money on stickers and plates and all other things they stick on cars that 99% of the time , like myself, most buyers have the stuff removed by the dealer or have it off the car before they are even out of the parking lot. We have a dealer here local (Not Ford) that even goes as far as drilling in every cars front plate to put a dealer plate on the front which everyone promptly removed as soon as they leave. And we are not a front plate state.

Just on my daily drives I seriously see next to no dealer items on cars so why do they spend so much time and money on putting this crap on the cars just to have it thrown in trash?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of buyers don't notice them, let alone take them off. As a matter of fact, some prefer to put them on there!

It's "free" promotion, same as the dealer stickers/decals on the rear bumper/trunks. I know down here I see both all over the place, especially Rick Case.

8c1fe7b34ea091b3fc45040dcb19a22e.png

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
A lot of buyers don't notice them, let alone take them off. As a matter of fact, some prefer to put them on there!

It's "free" promotion, same as the dealer stickers/decals on the rear bumper/trunks. I know down here I see both all over the place, especially Rick Case.

I guess depends on area.. here dont see them,it is almost a given they will be removed instantly. Free advertising..? Maybe in a big city but here we have 1 dealer for 4 counties. I mean does anyone really need to be told where a dealer is and what their name is?

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
With how much they make from selling things in the finance office, the cost of plates frames and stickers is probably negligible.

My dealer left off both at my request.

Vehicles drilled for a front plate are ones that I don't even consider.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
With how much they make from selling things in the finance office, the cost of plates frames and stickers is probably negligible.

My dealer left off both at my request.

Vehicles drilled for a front plate are ones that I don't even consider.
Well see thats part of what Im saying. Im same way so are lots of people. Loose sales over drilling on a 1.00 piece of plastic. Dealer here i told you about that does it , when I asked said everyone bitches about the drilled front ends. So I asked then why do you keep doing it... they had no answer.

Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I see a ton in my area, so I guess it pays off around here. I've never left that stuff on a new car, but I had a used car once where I didn't have to replace the plates as soon as I bought it, so I didn't make the effort to remove the frames.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Rick Case, Autonation, Gunther, Arrigo, Sawgrass Ford.. all staples of South Florida. Haha.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It’s part of their advertising budget. They get funds from the manufacturer to cover a good part of it.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I guess depends on area.. here dont see them,it is almost a given they will be removed instantly. Free advertising..? Maybe in a big city but here we have 1 dealer for 4 counties. I mean does anyone really need to be told where a dealer is and what their name is?
In my area there’s 15 ford dealers within 30 miles so it pays off to advertise over the others. Then you throw in all the other brands and you have to try to stand out somehow. If I had to guess in my city there’s probably 80-100 dealers to choose from in a 30 mile radius. A lot more if you throw in the smaller used car dealers.

As for keeping the items on I did. No stickers or anything like that but my car was sold to me with a nice stainless steel license plate frame from the dealer that they put on all cars. It has the ford logo on it and the dealers name but I don’t care since it does the job and looks good.

Deleted member 35786

When we bought new cars I always make the dealer remove that sticker and do not damage the paint in doing so, or find me the car I want without it. Unless they are paying me to advertise for them, REMOVE THAT SHIT!!
I am buying a brand new car, not one with fricken stickers on it...

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My guess is that they feel that the advertising value is worth more than the out of pocket cost, taken on an overall basis.

If your plate frame clips over the plate such that the plate itself stays off the paint, that could be of direct value to the car owner. You could always spray-paint the things flat-black or body color.

Norm

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It backfires sometimes.

I knew someone who bought a new '89 GT 'vert. Not a car guy. It was never washed. I mean NEVER. It still even had the glue from the monroney on the inside of the window many years later. At some point, he took it to the dealer for something and when he got it back, their plate frame and trunk sticker had been removed. LoL

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
I won't wear one.
NO free advertising from me.
ASAP; any stickers, dealer badges and/or tags come off.................

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
The new thing dealerships are doing is putting their dealership into your navigator/dashboard/radio/center unit during initial startup vs plates or stickers.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The new thing dealerships are doing is putting their dealership into your navigator/dashboard/radio/center unit during initial startup vs plates or stickers.
Jay, your pics did not post properly. Regardless I’m sure a dealer isn’t doing this in lieu of stickers and plates. Stickers and plates are considered advertising and paid for, in part, by the manufacturer. I would be really concerned about a dealer hacking my car to put their name in my electronics system.
Sponsored