Sponsored

What is the deal with the hostility and resentfulness here now?

Chris Meyers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang (soon)
I have to admit, it's kind of funny to me the extreme reaction this one Mustang E has illicited. I'm a very casual Mustang6G user. I came on here when I bought my 2015 GT, I had one of the first. Before that I had a 2005 Mustang GT, which again I ordered the first year it was available. After the Mach E was announced, I was intrigued by it I decided to casually come back here, and it looks like Ive come into a royal emotional shitstorm.

So my question is: Why are you all so suprised or threatened by it? It makes no sense. You didn't need that post a week ago telling you there will be no V8s by the mid 2020s, all you had to was look at the CAFE chart showing yearly fleet MPG requirements. This isnt some 'green new deal' Democrat plot like I heard mentioned somewhere in the chaos. Its current Federal law. There is no way they can produce mass market V8 cars anymore. So that's my long winded way of saying of course it was going to go electric, there is really no other choice. As far as the body style, people just dont buy sedans or coupes anymore as a mainstream choice, they want SUVS and crossovers. You can stick your head in the sand and pretend it isn't so, but it is. As far as not being a Mustang in design, its style looks just like the 2015+ Mustangs except up higher and a fastback CUV shape.

It maybe just that I'm the perfect demographic they were aiming for with this car. Just turned 39 last week, so early millennial, Mustang fan, wouldnt mind sitting higher up, and intrigued by electric cars and the torque and weight distribution benefits. All I know is the extreme reaction is unneccessary, it doesnt threaten your existence.
Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
I have had a test ride in a Tesla and it was very dramatic and brutally fast. What upsets all of the Mustang fans is that this new car has no connection to the rich heritage of the Mustang brand. It is not a two door car, does not sound like a Mustang, no racing history, costs a lot of money, and given Ford's history with all new cars, could damage the brand if it bombs in the market place. If they changed the name, removed the horse badges, and actually places a Ford blue oval on the vehicle, the Mustang community would feel better. Most see this as a cheap marketing stunt to try and make people think that they are joining the Mustang family. The MCA president has come under attack for telling Ford that this vehicle should sell well but he told them not to call it a Mustang. The MBAs did not listen. The inside story is that Jim Farley at Ford was behind this push to lay the Mustang name on this Mexican SUV. Time will tell if he was correct.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
This is similar to what Mitsubishi did with the Eclipse. I bought a new Eclipse AWD turbo in 1991 and at the time it was like a Subaru WRX or Audi quattro. Similar 0-60 numbers as the Mustang GT's of that era. And now it's the "Eclipse Cross" SUV - totally different car. I'd be curious to know what the marketing strategy is behind these kinds of naming decisions. Mustangs have such a long history, I just don't get why Ford doesn't realize that anyone who's a car enthusiast (not just Mustang people) is going to look at the Mach-E and immediately think "that's not a Mustang, it's an SUV."

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I HATE, HATE, HATE that we all are going to be driving electric cars soon, as we won't have any choice.
I'll drive an electric vehicle only when I don't have a choice any more. I'm holding out to the last moment.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
More words behind the scenes are that the current Coyote V-8 motors cannot meet the upcoming Obama era emission requirements beyond 2025. Most of the Detriot big three have cut back or stopped all gas engine development work due to this upcoming hurdle. This why you are seeing all of the tiny turbos, start /stop technology, and cylinder deactivation nonsense in today's cars. Not much more you can do. This is it folks,last call for the last Ford V-8 engines ever to be produced in the world. Ford is close to canceling the export Mustangs to Europe due to the banning of gas powered cars in EU that have high carbon emissions. The EV cars are not zero emission but rather delayed emissions since the power is generated somewhere else.

Sponsored

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
Mach e isn't a mustang for starters.

And then there's the fact that car enthusiasts have had to wait since about 1970 to be able to buy factory cars that actually have some muscle under the hood....and now it's again in jeopardy due to emissions, government regs, public pressure, etc.

The Mach e is going to be the face of that issue for current mustang owners.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I have to admit, it's kind of funny to me the extreme reaction this one Mustang E has illicited. I'm a very casual Mustang6G user. I came on here when I bought my 2015 GT, I had one of the first. Before that I had a 2005 Mustang GT, which again I ordered the first year it was available. After the Mach E was announced, I was intrigued by it I decided to casually come back here, and it looks like Ive come into a royal emotional shitstorm.

So my question is: Why are you all so surprised or threatened by it? It makes no sense.

-snip-

Because it is a Mustang only by name....

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I'll drive an electric vehicle only when I don't have a choice any more. I'm holding out to the last moment.
Why such the strong hate? I am assuming by your comments that you have NEVER driven one before so you do not understand exactly what it is like... WAY TO MANY people on this forum write things off immediately without ever actually trying it or giving it a chance.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
EV hatred is the new "get off my lawn."

Just a bunch of angry old men for the most part.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
EV hatred is the new "get off my lawn."

Just a bunch of angry old men for the most part.
We can't possibly have vehicles like this! They have no soul!

(Don't give a sh*t about sound or "soul" if I can go 211mph with that kind of acceleration....)

Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
I actually think that the vehicle being mostly silent ADDS to the rush of acceleration. No noise, this shouldn't be happening...

I'm not in the market for an EV, I'll stick with my supercharged mustang - but they can be impressive.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
I'll try to explain this in the most logical non emotional way possible.

1. Right now it's a gimmick, there literally is no infrastructure for electric vehicles on a massive scale, especially when you factor in we live in a world where municipalities cannot even get a road paved in a timely manner. You would be a fool to believe this would be rolled out that soon; not to mention the waste of disposing of ice vehicles if gas vehicles were to be outlawed. It will be cash for clunkers on a much larger scale.

2. Right now it's technology for the sake of technology, unless more efficient plants are going to to be built overnight you're just literally moving the source of pollution from the tailpipe to the coal plants. Electric pushers never seem to bring up the risks of electromagnetic smog or dirty electricity either because its invisible to the naked eye. The term is "technocrat", its people who think more technology is the magic bullet towards everything and think they have it all figured out and are telling me what's good for me when they themselves don't practice what they preach. Im in IT I know for a fact when more tech is railroaded in without proper research and planning it will become a disaster not if. I work on my cars to get away from technology and toxic social media platforms not to go right back to it. These are no longer cars but an iPad attached to wheels.

3. If they actually figure out the infrastructure (so im not contradicting my first point) It's the next step towards full automation, once all cars are electric and they will ban the driver next and make everything glorified public transportation aka uber/Lyft services with vehicles self driven to you. An old Chrysler engineer on Allpar actually brought up this point before this electric/automation craze became a thing. No desire to own a vehicle I cannot pilot. This will not be the same from horse and carriage to automobiles this will be literally be the next step towards eliminating the driver even though one of the main reasons driving attentiveness has decreased was cellular phones (technology) in the first place.

4. There is no cost savings and range anxiety over a gas vehicle. Wasn't the whole point of these vehicles was for better efficiency and not being tethered to a pump as much? Looks like more tethering to me. By means am I against progressing energy (on a base level, we haven't even graduated beyond explosion-based derivatives of energy yet) celll phones on wheels with lithium batteries goes against the original Nikola Tesla's goal of truly clean and easily obtainable energy. Elon Musk the PayPal guy is no car guy, no real environmentalist, he is no different than what many of the oil conglomerates that Musk fans disdain. When/if this becomes mainstream the big oil companies will just switch over their stakes into electric and it to will be a metered form of energy you have to subscribe to and with no real cost savings in the long run. People yelling buzzwords "angry old men" or "boomer" are really doing themselves a disservice (especially when me and many others concerned about this trend are in our late 20/Early thirties) are going to be eating crow in the future when they are limited to automated pods that whisk them to/from work everyday with no real driver interaction while still eating the costs for such a revamped infrastructure.

Disagree all you want but that is the best way I can put into words the resentment not only about the mach e but electric cars in general. Start making them look like actual cars not gadgets or appliances, be truly clean (not delayed emissions), keep the automation to a minimum, and actually be visceral and I'll be the first to gladly leave gas vehicles forever.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
4. There is no cost savings
A client of mine says his Model 3 costs him $7 to charge fully from less than 10% charged.... And he gets 200+ miles on a charge.

Huh? No savings?

I agree with your points about infrastructure. But EVs are still fairly new especially if you compare them to IC engines. Given time I believe you will see it grow. Especially when larger manufacturers hop onboard.

Buyers don't care about delayed emissions. Don't be fooled, most people aren't buying them because they want to be green, they simply don't want to pay for gas.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
A client of mine says his Model 3 costs him $7 to charge fully from less than 10% charged.... And he gets 200+ miles on a charge.

Huh? No savings?

I agree with your points about infrastructure. But EVs are still fairly new especially if you compare them to IC engines. Given time I believe you will see it grow. Especially when larger manufacturers hop onboard.

Buyers don't care about delayed emissions. Don't be fooled, most people aren't buying them because they want to be green, they simply don't want to pay for gas.
$30 a month to charge my Tesla vs $250 to fill my previous V6. Yea no cost savings to be seen!!! :crazy:

Your comment earlier about sums it up...

Angry and small minded people are stubborn, and therefore resistant to change. That is the crux of the problem.
Sponsored