Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1, 1987 Buick Grand National, 1985 Mustang
My 2018GT with Stage II P1X sees right at 9 psi with the supplied 4.75" pulley
Did you dyno car before and after install of Procharger.? My gains seem way off. Just curious to know what others have experienced
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Buy a green belt. Might be slip. Might be your the proflo if that’s what you run
The shop that did the install has years experience with Procharger and other forced induction plaltforms. I would trust that he knows to look for belt slip and other issues. He has been dyno testing/tuning with the same Mustang Dyno since I met him 10+ years ago. He has a large client base and a great reputation for doing the right thing.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Put in some boostane to check fuel quality. Might also bang on the exhaust with a rubber mallet to check for rattles. Could have a loose something in the exhaust from factory. No down pipe to hit on the ac heat shield on this one. Lol.

What mileage did you buy the car at? They put in 87 at most dealerships. If you have been filling at half tank might not have full 93 in it.

And don’t mess around with tuners. Go with Lund or PBD.

These are as sophisticated of an engine that has ever been build. Lund has tuned thousands of these things.

If you want more power don’t mess around with 93 go straight to E85 if available.

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I agree with the others, get yourself some boostane and re-test. I'd also recommend hiring one of the above tuning experts. If for no other reason but to tailor your spark to the fuel available in your area.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Put in some boostane to check fuel quality. Might also bang on the exhaust with a rubber mallet to check for rattles. Could have a loose something in the exhaust from factory. No down pipe to hit on the ac heat shield on this one. Lol.

What mileage did you buy the car at? They put in 87 at most dealerships. If you have been filling at half tank might not have full 93 in it.

And don’t mess around with tuners. Go with Lund or PBD.

These are as sophisticated of an engine that has ever been build. Lund has tuned thousands of these things.

If you want more power don’t mess around with 93 go straight to E85 if available.

Shop that did install claims was not false knock but I will get some boostane to verify.

Car delivered with 38 miles and now has 720 miles.

Procharger should be able to provide a decent tune. According to all the posts by prochargertec and the numbers he claims they have the means. If they cannot I will ask for my money back and go with Lund or PBD.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Shop that did install claims was not false knock but I will get some boostane to verify.

Car delivered with 38 miles and now has 720 miles.

Procharger should be able to provide a decent tune. According to all the posts by prochargertec and the numbers he claims they have the means. If they cannot I will ask for my money back and go with Lund or PBD.
I would defiantly put it on a lift and bang on exhaust with a rubber mallet. The majority of false knock I have read about on this forum come from the exhaust. Same as the GN.

You own a GN so I would assume you know a lot about false knock.

I will give a standard disclaimer because I owned and played with a GN for many years. These cars are not GNs. (Obviously) Knock in these cars is will blow them up quick. The GN a lot of times would give you the option of changing a head gasket instead of the engine. These 12:1 don’t. They blow.

The true way to make HP with these cars is E85. They don’t play on 93. 600 is a good number on 93. Some guys go to 700-750 but I think they are on borrowed time. A hot summer day is all it takes at those levels. 12:1 is awesome but man is it playing with fire.

OP
OP

Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I would defiantly put it on a lift and bang on exhaust with a rubber mallet. The majority of false knock I have read about on this forum come from the exhaust. Same as the GN.

You own a GN so I would assume you know a lot about false knock.

I will give a standard disclaimer because I owned and played with a GN for many years. These cars are not GNs. (Obviously) Knock in these cars is will blow them up quick. The GN a lot of times would give you the option of changing a head gasket instead of the engine. These 12:1 don’t. They blow.

The true way to make HP with these cars is E85. They don’t play on 93. 600 is a good number on 93. Some guys go to 700-750 but I think they are on borrowed time. A hot summer day is all it takes at those levels. 12:1 is awesome but man is it playing with fire.
Yes had false knock on the GN as soon as I went to 3” down pipe. I will surely look into it further on the Mustang.

So true about the head gaskets on the GN. They are a tuning lesson without the large bill. I had early Procharger P600 kit on a 1993 Cobra Mustang and got quite good at changing head gaskets on that engine.

I don’t want to go down that road with the Mustang. I’ll get this sorted out and probably just wind up going with Lund or PBD. E85 is available in my area but not sure I want to make that commitment. I’ll be happy with 600-650 rwhp. Think I may go with alcohol injection to keep it safe.

OP
OP

Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Procharger is currently looking into my issue. They have been very helpful so far and seem eager to reach a solution. Had a lengthy conversation with a manager there today and should hear from them soon.

OP
OP

Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Per my conversation with a manager today the 10psi of boost I am getting with the 4.50" pulley is to much for the 93 octane winter fuel available in my area. This is the cause of the knock retard and loss of power. I only gained 150 rwhp on the dyno, should be 250+. I was told by other employees during prior tech support calls that the 4.5" pulley was the correct pulley for my kit. Apparently it is not the correct pulley. A 4.75" pulley, which I am told is what the kit should have shipped with is in the mail. Thank you Procharger for making this right. I will update results as soon as I am able.

Sponsored

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Good to hear. So crazy that they have shipped 4.5", 4.63" and 4.75" with these 2018-2019 stage ii kits. You're going to love the car, even on such a low boost pressure they are a blast. I have one of the worst 91 fuels in the nation, and it's still a good time! Hit me up if I can help with methanol injection info.

Chris

OP
OP

Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Good to hear. So crazy that they have shipped 4.5", 4.63" and 4.75" with these 2018-2019 stage ii kits. You're going to love the car, even on such a low boost pressure they are a blast. I have one of the worst 91 fuels in the nation, and it's still a good time! Hit me up if I can help with methanol injection info.

Chris
Thanks Chris. The info you provided about the pulleys helped a lot.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Although the meth helps a lot, Ive had two pump failures when I had meth on my ecoboost ford flex. I caught the first pump failure, but the second one I had it tuned a lil too hot with the meth([email protected] 60') and got on it on the street and the pump failed and BOOM, blew several holes in the block. It was neat :lipssealed:. So I wont mess with the meth anymore. Direct injection loves it though, plus keeps everything clean inside the engine. If you do add it, dont tune it to rely on it like I did.

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Just to clarify, John Jr will NOT tune for methanol as a band aid. All he does is "allow" the ECU to add timing based on how happy the knock sensor is. He will NOT adjust fueling to accommodate the methanol. Mine is set up to where it gives it another 3-4 degrees of spark when spraying. If I have the meth system turned off, the car still runs perfectly with no knock (only about 13.5-14.5 deg). Mine will see 17 deg or so when everything is happy with the fuel and meth. Once the meth starts to spray you will see the AFR quickly go rich. The short term fuel trims adjust on the fly which is why this setup is so cool! Again, I just use it to give me a few more degrees of spark, but really it's a nice safety net for a bad tank of fuel and to keep the air charge temps down.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Im doing methanol soon strictly for cooling. $80 snow kit from FB marketplace, $20 Hobbs switch set at 5-6psi, and $100 VMP IAT breakaway harness and sensor. Small nozzle probably 5 or so GPH. Not changing tune. Just to see if the car likes the lower IATs on the back half.
Sponsored