Sponsored

Stay With Present Car or buy GT?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The point is you can hold your own with a Hellcat on the street if he gets too much wheel spin at the line. Trust me and don’t get psyched out. You can compete with anyone! Also note they did not average in or tape all runs as some times were truly embarrassing. In a street race things get interesting as the street changes things. A pity now that we live in a 1984 world and welcomed it in with our cell phones, that killed street racing. A pity that...

Or put it this way. You race a GT at the drag strip and he screws up on third gear and he loses. Do you throw the results out because he has a faster car on paper? Nope...

Challenge some big shots. They have more to lose than you...
I doubt you're going to change because of anything we say, but my advice to you is look for a 2013 or 2014 GT500. It will almost be as good as having a 7.3 in your Mustang!
Sponsored

Fenrir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Half wrong half right. The eLSD isn't total garbage (Some people just don't know how to use them.) I had the same eLSD on an 18 Camaro SS 1LE and it was fantastic. I actually had that up on my cluster more often than anything else just so I could get the most out of it. I had some N/A power mods and I had no problem out tracking or out dragging some larger horse-powered vehicles and cars that were supposed to be "better track cars". I'm looking at you Porsche Cayman. You are right in some cases because I dusted Vette's plenty of times from the word "go" at the strip. Those cars really aren't designed to beat someone in a straight line - and so they feel underwhelming when you put your eyes on real world times. A higher trim C7 will have the magnetic suspension with the drive selector's and they do make some difference. If I had to buy a Vette tomorrow I wouldn't take anything less than a Z06. I don't know if I would call a regular GT the best street car money could buy. But the GT500? Definitely. That thing would roast my old 1LE in any application.

If I had gotten a choice of Mustangs? I would have taken a GT350 and daily'd it. People get weird about dailying these great cars whether it's a Dodge, Ford, or a Chevy. I might rustle some jimmy's by typing this but... if you can't daily your pony car? You probably shouldn't be driving one at all. Being in tune with your vehicle means you are in tune with it in all conditions. Sunny, raining, snowing, whatever. You love it at high speeds, low speeds, you know where the torque really kicks in and you know how to measure that out with your body and bend it to your demands. If it feels like a bad experience? Adjust it. Can't? Don't drive one. I'm actually swapping out the stock suspension and wheel setup on mine. That option is always there if you get a car and you have buyer's remorse. These days all of these cars have an insane amount of options! But yeah, if we're talking about a 2020 GT500 and money's not a problem get that thing or you're a fool. It's a Ferrari 458 hunter. Just do it. But a regular GT? Mmmm plan on a mod budget. Either way though you really can daily any car if you apply yourself and make the right adjustments. This forum has proven to be a wealth of information for me. You should have no problem making the right call.

Get the GT500... most obvious answer ever lol,

Jokes aside buy the GT. I'm gonna hurt feelings with this but corvettes are in my opinion vastly overrated and kind of a pointless car... Firstly, if you're fat or tall you can't fit in them, they are literally just a miata with a V8 engine...

If you buy one you cant park it outside as UV rays cause the roof to develop hairline cracks, the headlights also degrade... So they have to stay in doors... NEVER buy a vette that has been sitting outside... Most true vette specialty dealerships will never have one outside. They take it out only when you're ready to,buy it.

Their interiors are garbage with the exception of the C7+ You need to get a grandsport or Z06 you cannot go cheap on a vette because the base model guts alot of the features you need to make the car at least functional thanks to the weird way GM decided to option their cars...

The electronic diff is garbage.

You can't even race one reliably even if you get the Z06 without upgrading the drysump system...

Interms of power they aren't that fast... Except the Z06 and C7+

The handling of them is good, but the suspension isnt setup for street driving. The cars so low you cant even pull into a whattaburger...

The tires are ridiculously expensive and last as long as an oil change interval... So you won't want to drive it often, which will cause them to crack from just sitting at home...

A vette is a car you buy if you're a vette guy. And just love that car and want one... If that's you then buy the vette step up to the Z06 or ZR1 and not dick around about it.

The GT unlike the vette is the best street car money can buy. The interior is great, sync 3 is awesome. You can set the cruise at 70 get 27mpg, if you feel frisky you just have to press the gas or flip the sportsmode switch, because you bought the one right tool for the job.

When you have two cars you have to plan your entire weekend or day. If you start out the day in the V6 some civic idiot with a turbo is gonna harrass you. And you'll be saying God i wish i had my z06...

If You start out the day in the Z06 and have to listen to your wife bitch about the bumps you'll be saying God you wish you had the v6....

And after your 6th nail in a tire in less than a year...The cars gonna end up sitting the garage for a few years till u get fed up and sell it like 90% of vette owners...

Thats why u can find used vettes with under 12k miles all day every day, every generation, with like 10 previous owners....

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
. Either way though you really can daily any car if you apply yourself and make the right adjustments. This forum has proven to be a wealth of information for me. You should have no problem making the right call.
Great post man. My post was of course just my opinion so its probably bullshit lol...

That said The reason why I suggested the GT over the gt350 as a daily is the GT350 uses the heavier weight oil which isnt practical for daily driving. You really shouldn't drive till it gets up to operating temps unless you just love doing rebuilds.

The lower weight oil in the GT makes it warm up faster in colder weather and as such is the better car if you're running late for work.

In any case in both cars you don't wanna be banging off the limiter on a cold engine i like keeping mine under 3k till the cylinder head gets to 180. And the oil and coolant are in "normal" I like to move off with cylinder temps hit around 125ish... Takes about 5mins on cold mornings. sometimes i dont have the time to wait.

I also agree that given the choice I think the GT350 IS the car to buy. And that's the one I'd get if I had the space for it. The gt500 is amazing but that voodoo engine is something else

Fenrir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Great post man. My post was of course just my opinion so its probably bullshit lol...

That said The reason why I suggested the GT over the gt350 as a daily is the GT350 uses the heavier weight oil which isnt practical for daily driving. You really shouldn't drive till it gets up to operating temps unless you just love doing rebuilds.

The lower weight oil in the GT makes it warm up faster in colder weather and as such is the better car if you're running late for work.

In any case in both cars you don't wanna be banging off the limiter on a cold engine i like keeping mine under 3k till the cylinder head gets to 180. And the oil and coolant are in "normal" I like to move off with cylinder temps hit around 125ish... Takes about 5mins on cold mornings. sometimes i dont have the time to wait.

I also agree that given the choice I think the GT350 IS the car to buy. And that's the one I'd get if I had the space for it. The gt500 is amazing but that voodoo engine is something else

The most important thing to remember about the modern cooling systems in these cars (At least from the 1LE perspective) is yeah they use heavier weight oil but they also have so many radiators. You could swap the oil type just a hair - while not ideal it could save you the trouble of worrying about never hitting the right operating temperature. It won't really harm the engine in any serious way as long as you don't chimp out and get a cheapass oil. Circulation, cleanliness, and friction reduction are your best friends. If that means you change the weight a bit that's ok - but make sure you swap it when it gets hotter/colder. Living down in Texas now I expect to have less concerns about getting up to temp versus being up in the Pocono's.

People who mod their cars in general underestimate the importance of a simple air filter type, the oil specs you're using, changing your diff fluid, brake fluids, etc. A slight change can change the whole set up. If you throw 20k at a car with mods and don't change how you're servicing the car you're just lighting a fuse or running it ragged.
Sponsored