Sponsored

Lund Racing 2020 Shelby GT500 Cammed Idle Tune!

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Lund Racing picked up their 2020 Shelby GT500 and wasted no time on getting to work! They installed their signature cammed idle tune onto the car via HPTuners and it sounds delicious.

Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
A little more lope please, as if you are trying to curdle milk.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
A little more lope please, as if you are trying to curdle milk.
May not be possible depending on how those cams are.

To the best of my knowledge all a ghost cam is is enabling the high lift lobe at idle and fattening up the AFR. if the stock cams aren't very aggressive there aint much you can do.

I'm thinking all the GT500 is the low compression a luminator engine with a blower. (they have 2 aluminators) those cams aren't all that aggressive... I think the NA 12:1 aluminator comes with the bigger more aggressive cams. Those would chop like a mf. But it Will never sound like a 2V windsor or 3V... To be honest we need to all just move on... The "muscle car sound" is cool but whats the point when youre being taken to gapplebees...

4v technology is far superior and I'm all for trading a less aggressive soundimg idle for all the advantages the new engines have to offer.

If you want the chop swap your coyote for a carbed rousch 427... You'll get gapped all day, but it will be the most badass sounding s550...

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
To the best of my knowledge all a ghost cam is is enabling the high lift lobe at idle and fattening up the AFR. if the stock cams aren't very aggressive there aint much you can do.
The biggest factor by far contributing to the "chop" in cammed cars at idle is the amount of valve overlap between the intake and exhaust. And while the stock cams are most likely not very aggressive, they do have quite a bit of swing in terms of advance and retard (I believe 25* each way). Even with small cams, playing with 50* of cam timing can provide some overlap and thus chop. Fattening up the AFR only makes the car chop harder, but if there's no overlap to produce chop AFR can't do much.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
The biggest factor by far contributing to the "chop" in cammed cars at idle is the amount of valve overlap between the intake and exhaust. And while the stock cams are most likely not very aggressive, they do have quite a bit of swing in terms of advance and retard (I believe 25* each way). Even with small cams, playing with 50* of cam timing can provide some overlap and thus chop. Fattening up the AFR only makes the car chop harder, but if there's no overlap to produce chop AFR can't do much.
I guess if you modified the signal from the cam position sensor you could theoretically alter cam timing and thus overlap.

These new variable cam motors are new to me. I'm still thinking like the old days with degree wheels and the vtec engines from the 90s that just had a secondary lobe lol

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I guess if you modified the signal from the cam position sensor you could theoretically alter cam timing and thus overlap.

These new variable cam motors are new to me. I'm still thinking like the old days with degree wheels and the vtec engines from the 90s that just had a secondary lobe lol
Well the thing is, you don't even have to *hack* into the system to control the cams. Timing is directly controlled in the PCM, so as long as you can alter the tune you have the ability to change cam timing at your fingertips. All it takes is a few milliseconds and you can swing the cams 25* each way. In your example, it's like having the degree wheel controlled by the PCM and you can just tell it to go where you want it to be.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Well the thing is, you don't even have to *hack* into the system to control the cams. Timing is directly controlled in the PCM, so as long as you can alter the tune you have the ability to change cam timing at your fingertips. All it takes is a few milliseconds and you can swing the cams 25* each way. In your example, it's like having the degree wheel controlled by the PCM and you can just tell it to go where you want it to be.
Yeah thats probably what Lund is doing then. Yeah i wouldnt try messing with that stuff myself that's a great way to put a valve in a piston lol

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
May not be possible depending on how those cams are.

I'm thinking all the GT500 is the low compression a luminator engine with a blower. (they have 2 aluminators) those cams aren't all that aggressive... I think the NA 12:1 aluminator comes with the bigger more aggressive cams. Those would chop like a mf. But it Will never sound like a 2V windsor or 3V... To be honest we need to all just move on... The "muscle car sound" is cool but whats the point when youre being taken to gapplebees...

4v technology is far superior and I'm all for trading a less aggressive soundimg idle for all the advantages the new engines have to offer.

If you want the chop swap your coyote for a carbed rousch 427... You'll get gapped all day, but it will be the most badass sounding s550...
Enabling the high lift lobe? Where do you guys get this stuff?
There's no variable lift in a Coyote.
Sponsored