Sponsored

Honest Comparison GT500 ZL1 1lE (THIS IS NOT A TROLL POST)

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 17 Charger HC, 16 Challenger HC
I would only get the ZL1 in a manual.
They are great looking cars and are fast.
If you don’t plan on tracking just get the base GT500.
It will be way faster and nicer to drive.
If you want to track a lot then I would try for the CFTP GT500 or a Manual ZL1 1LE

That’s my opinion.
Why only in manual? I love a manual as much as the next guy and the active rev match is amazing and a hell of a lot of fun on that car but it tends to bog hard in first gear upon launch. It's not an easy car to launch well in first. I give you the A10 is not significantly faster around a track than the manual but street driving stop light to stop light which is a factor for me the A10 will be better. Even with tracking it it would see more street use like any car I imagine. Manual a bit lighter but the metrics to point that giving it any advantage. Same reason my Hellcats are A8s. They outperform the manual but perhaps more significantly in that platform.
Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Wait for the Zo6.:lipssealed: If you can't wait. Only you can answer the value question. Performance, the Stang. Value in my mind. The camaro. Im a cheap skate. Good luck.
That’s great advice. The Z06 will be a monster and maybe a game changer. MacMulkin is already taking names for the Z06 and will sell for MSRP with no dealer fees. Small refundable deposit may be required,

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
OP, If you gotta have it now, its going to be hard to find a GT500 without paying adm. So the car being 72k msrp + adm + tax title license (TTL), out the door will be pushing over $90k.

You have two hellcats? Time to sell one of them to make room, the ZL1 1LE looks enticing, but only used, because the 2020 rear is atrocious. I always dogged the ZL1 cars, but have opened my mind up to them. Its a no brainer considering how much they have fallen in price. New for a 1LE model (was like 75k new). Now you can get a used one low miles for high 50s. Which is a great buy specially since they do better on the track compared to the c7 z06.

Tough decision, but the price difference is over $20k between a GT500 and ZL1 1LE, when looking at realistic prices. I say do it, sell one of the hellcats and the GT350. Get the Z 1LE and get the GT500 when it's more available.

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP, If you gotta have it now, its going to be hard to find a GT500 without paying adm. So the car being 72k msrp + adm + tax title license (TTL), out the door will be pushing over $90k.

You have two hellcats? Time to sell one of them to make room, the ZL1 1LE looks enticing, but only used, because the 2020 rear is atrocious. I always dogged the ZL1 cars, but have opened my mind up to them. Its a no brainer considering how much they have fallen in price. New for a 1LE model (was like 75k new). Now you can get a used one low miles for high 50s. Which is a great buy specially since they do better on the track compared to the c7 z06.

Tough decision, but the price difference is over $20k between a GT500 and ZL1 1LE, when looking at realistic prices. I say do it, sell one of the hellcats and the GT350. Get the Z 1LE and get the GT500 when it's more available.
Never selling either Hellcat. One is the drag strip car, my first love and to much invested. The other is the fastest 4 door in the world and the best damn daily I could imagine with room for my sons carseat. I'll only trade it on another Hellcat Charger when and if that time comes. Both fill rolls the Gt500 won't for me.

With regards to the C8 Z06 suggestions it's very much on the radar but I didn't want to muddy the discussion to much. Interestingly though by the time it hits the street and with the expected cost the price vs perf debate will be similar I think to the 500 vs ZLE debate with C8 Z06 being faster, newer and historically significant but at likely a 130k plus price tag fully optioned. By then I suspect 500 will have settled a bit.

SWEET Viper BTW!!!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
You a Naval Aviator by chance

Yep, retired Nasal Radiator and congrats on getting your Wings from such a humble start.

Last edited:

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Never selling either Hellcat. One is the drag strip car, my first love and to much invested. The other is the fastest 4 door in the world and the best damn daily I could imagine with room for my sons carseat. I'll only trade it on another Hellcat Charger when and if that time comes. Both fill rolls the Gt500 won't for me.

With regards to the C8 Z06 suggestions it's very much on the radar but I didn't want to muddy the discussion to much. Interestingly though by the time it hits the street and with the expected cost the price vs perf debate will be similar I think to the 500 vs ZLE debate with C8 Z06 being faster, newer and historically significant but at likely a 130k plus price tag fully optioned. By then I suspect 500 will have settled a bit.

SWEET Viper BTW!!!
Yes I agree with you fully loaded Z06 even at MSRP will be $130K+. Will likely be on a whole different level but to your point, way more than an MSRP GT500 even with CFTP.

I love your car choices!

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
I would question why a brand new 2020 ZLE w/A10 already needs to be discounted to 61k.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Yep, retired Nasal Radiator and congrats on getting your wings from such a humble start.
Thank you both for your service. :flag:My son is currently serving in Alaska.

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would question why a brand new 2020 ZLE w/A10 already needs to be discounted to 61k.
Just not selling I imagine. The one I found for 61k is in Shock yellow...not my favorite. The 2020 white ZLE I was looking at was at 68K. I've found multiple 2019s in the 61-64 range new. I think the 1LE package is not for most people especially with the rough ride. But they are still making em so no complaints here.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Nobody is buying them, so if you dont mind the looks and want 100% performance, these are one of the best bang for buck cars. Not many cars will touch a low $60k Z 1LE on the track for its price.
Rather get used just to avoid the rounded lights o the newer ones.

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Why only in manual? I love a manual as much as the next guy and the active rev match is amazing and a hell of a lot of fun on that car but it tends to bog hard in first gear upon launch. It's not an easy car to launch well in first. I give you the A10 is not significantly faster around a track than the manual but street driving stop light to stop light which is a factor for me the A10 will be better. Even with tracking it it would see more street use like any car I imagine. Manual a bit lighter but the metrics to point that giving it any advantage. Same reason my Hellcats are A8s. They outperform the manual but perhaps more significantly in that platform.
I just think if your gonna get a auto, the GT500 would be far superior (DCT)
Fastest on the drag strip.
Fastest on the road course.
Fastest on the street.
And more expensive.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I am by no means a Camaro fan but I *LOVE* the ZL1. Very badass ride.

If you don't mind waiting, get the GT500. If not, that ZL1 is not too shabby as an alternative. Just don't try to rest your elbow out the window :p
this. Big fan of the zl1 here. But it’s no gt500.
If you can afford it and the patience, you’ll be glad you waited.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Thoughts:
1. You have a great arsenal now - what are you searching for? GT touring? Track car? What "hole" are you trying to fill? I sold a sedan to buy a truck to round out the family fleet, Van, 3 sedans, truck (Ridgeline), Miata and 03 Cobra. GT500 on order. My buddy calls the Ridgeline a "gateway" vehicle that may lead to a real truck someday.

2. Everyone has a brand preference/feel. GM vehicles are not for me and the Camaro's greenhouse drives me insane (rented several). I have a Chrysler 300 SRT, a Miata, and an 03 Cobra for "fun" cars. They all provide me something different. Pick the 300 for the 3 hour run to Chicago -check. A drive on twisties in southern IN- Keys to the Miata please. Brute force and smiles per mile- 03 Cobra. So Chrysler/Dodge, Mazda, and Ford seem to be my brands. You favor the Dodge camp......

3. The DCT in the GT500 is a game changer for driving dynamics. While yet to drive the GT500 yet I have driven an Aston Martin Vanquish and a Ferrari California T. They both changed my mind about the performance aspects of these "manu-matics". That and the fact if you're in the Cobra and in any traffic the "third pedal" becomes much less fun. Age may play a factor here - I'm 55 and I keep my cars. I look for the GT500 to be the car that offers me a range of experiences. The ZL1 may offer a similar experience but what floats your boat? The economics are what they are - you can find a GT500 at MSRP. Try every small town dealer you can find.

Good luck on your quest and how about a few pics of the stable.

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nobody is buying them, so if you dont mind the looks and want 100% performance, these are one of the best bang for buck cars. Not many cars will touch a low $60k Z 1LE on the track for its price.
Rather get used just to avoid the rounded lights o the newer ones.
I thought the same till seeing the 2020 in person. Cars are like that sometimes. The round lights actually looked good and the 2020 has some desirable features such as the 325 tires out back vs the 315. I think there were a couple others. The digitial rear view mirror and A10 both started on the 2019 I believe as did the tail lights.... So I guess really 2019 and up.

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thoughts:
1. You have a great arsenal now - what are you searching for? GT touring? Track car? What "hole" are you trying to fill? I sold a sedan to buy a truck to round out the family fleet, Van, 3 sedans, truck (Ridgeline), Miata and 03 Cobra. GT500 on order. My buddy calls the Ridgeline a "gateway" vehicle that may lead to a real truck someday.

2. Everyone has a brand preference/feel. GM vehicles are not for me and the Camaro's greenhouse drives me insane (rented several). I have a Chrysler 300 SRT, a Miata, and an 03 Cobra for "fun" cars. They all provide me something different. Pick the 300 for the 3 hour run to Chicago -check. A drive on twisties in southern IN- Keys to the Miata please. Brute force and smiles per mile- 03 Cobra. So Chrysler/Dodge, Mazda, and Ford seem to be my brands. You favor the Dodge camp......

3. The DCT in the GT500 is a game changer for driving dynamics. While yet to drive the GT500 yet I have driven an Aston Martin Vanquish and a Ferrari California T. They both changed my mind about the performance aspects of these "manu-matics". That and the fact if you're in the Cobra and in any traffic the "third pedal" becomes much less fun. Age may play a factor here - I'm 55 and I keep my cars. I look for the GT500 to be the car that offers me a range of experiences. The ZL1 may offer a similar experience but what floats your boat? The economics are what they are - you can find a GT500 at MSRP. Try every small town dealer you can find.

Good luck on your quest and how about a few pics of the stable.
Interesting question. Really not trying to fill any void just a car enthusiast who is blessed to be able to do things and building a collection. That being said I don't want 20 cars but since you asked I'll say this.

850whp Hellcat Challenger fills the Drag Car role. It's the purest muscle car, it's black, it's sinister it's a pain in my ass and I love it.

Hellcat Charger is the daily family car. It's seen tracks like Roebling and passing Porsches while touching 155mph each lap in a 4 door NEVER gets old.

GT350 is the pure drivers experience and track car. It's an ode to joy to drive.

For me when I look at the GT500 it will out Drag my stock Hellcat, likely out track my GT350 and I just love the damn thing. Ford Performance made a huge fan out of me with that 350. Also from a collector-ish/ ridiculous car guy stand point it'd be pretty bad ass to have two Hellcats and two Shelby's. My wife thinks the opposite. She says why two mustangs....she's not a car type as much and she also likes Camaros.... forgive her. At least she is understanding and she's been down the runway in the Hellcat.

I guess if I had a void it would be pure sports car or older style car which points me to the C8 Z06 or a 65 Cobra rep. But just like that damn Gt350 there is just something about the Gt500. I'd certainly take it over the standard C8.
Sponsored