Who Has A Deposit on a Mach E

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I'm curious to hear from those who have put down deposits why they've chosen to put a deposit on this thing rather than the Tesla Model Y, which would seem to have better performance and better range at a lower price.
It is probably mostly to do with fear of Tesla. Alot are still worried about horror stories from 5 years ago of lack of parts and service... That is mostly fixed now with the Model 3 intro. Frankly I would and do trust Tesla far more with maintaining an EV than a Ford dealer that has never seen an EV before... But curious as well to hear from people as to why...
Sponsored

bluestang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2020 Explorer ST, 1990 Mustang GT turbo
The Model Y Performance costs 61,750 and they are not eligible for the full $7,500 tax credit. The Mach E GT is $60,500 and is eligible for the full credit. I prefer the styling of the Ford better and trust them as a manufacturer more than Tesla. The performance and the range between these two trims are pretty much identical other than charging rates. I am not so concerned with the charging rate as my daily commute is only 32 miles round trip and I have other vehicles for long distance trips.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
The Model Y Performance costs 61,750 and they are not eligible for the full $7,500 tax credit. The Mach E GT is $60,500 and is eligible for the full credit. I prefer the styling of the Ford better and trust them as a manufacturer more than Tesla. The performance and the range between these two trims are pretty much identical other than charging rates. I am not so concerned with the charging rate as my daily commute is only 32 miles round trip and I have other vehicles for long distance trips.
The Y performance has 280 miles of range vs 230? That's a significant bump. Plus it has a more extensive charging network on top of faster charge rates. Curious as to why you trust Ford who is building their FIRST EV vs Tesla that has been doing this for 8+ years? Ford would likely have slightly better panel gaps but this EV drivetrain is COMPLETELY unproven.

This also provides evidence to my point that the tax credit as written hurts first to market companies (Tesla) while late arrivals (Ford) get the benefits.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The Y performance has 280 miles of range vs 230? That's a significant bump. Plus it has a more extensive charging network on top of faster charge rates. Curious as to why you trust Ford who is building their FIRST EV vs Tesla that has been doing this for 8+ years? Ford would likely have slightly better panel gaps but this EV drivetrain is COMPLETELY unproven.

This also provides evidence to my point that the tax credit as written hurts first to market companies (Tesla) while late arrivals (Ford) get the benefits.

I have 10 Ford Dealers within 20 miles of my house.... chances are most People have never seen a Tesla Dealer. Ford has more of an infrastructure and is more of an automotive powerhouse, than Tesla.

Not sure why so many people are on Tesla's tip, but the Mach E is Ford's first try and it's a better design than Tesla's generic bland look. And yes, Elon only been making cars for less than 10 years. And will probably be sold to the nearest bidder when Elon looses interest in cars.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I have 10 Ford Dealers within 20 miles of my house....
All 10 of those dealers have never seen an EV before, let alone worked on one... Good luck getting the drivetrain serviced when the techs have no clue what they are looking at. (And I'm not talking about general maintenance like wipers and tire rotations)

Sponsored

bluestang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All 10 of those dealers have never seen an EV before, let alone worked on one... Good luck getting the drivetrain serviced when the techs have no clue what they are looking at. (And I'm not talking about general maintenance like wipers and tire rotations)
Given that those 10 dealers have master engine techs I'm not seeing the difficulty in training people on EV powertrains. Tesla has to train techs just the same. If anything becoming a master engine tech would be far more difficult than dealing with a battery system and electric motors.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Fair point on the tax credit, but keep in mind that Ford has yet to issue detailed specs or option pricing. We know that additional options are necessary if you want to match the Model Y Performance.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So if someone reserved a Mach E, is the dealership going to mark it up over MSRP if they are greedy?

When does the selling price get determined with the selling dealership? Before the car is built, before it arrives, or after it arrives at the dealership?

If it's already been discussed I missed it.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So if someone reserved a Mach E, is the dealership going to mark it up over MSRP if they are greedy?
Can your deposit be taken to another dealer if the original wants to do that? My guess is everyone who has pre-ordered gets the car at MSRP with no chance of negotiation as directed by Ford.

Sponsored

bluestang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

When does the selling price get determined with the selling dealership? Before the car is built, before it arrives, or after it arrives at the dealership?

If it's already been discussed I missed it.
A dealer can mark the price up over MSRP. The exact selling price will be determined this coming spring when the actual orders are placed. That is when all options are finalized.

Can your deposit be taken to another dealer if the original wants to do that? My guess is everyone who has pre-ordered gets the car at MSRP with no chance of negotiation as directed by Ford.
From my understanding in the info I saw when I registered the price is negotiated with your dealer this coming spring. I believe you can go to a different dealer than the one you registered with.

Fair point on the tax credit, but keep in mind that Ford has yet to issue detailed specs or option pricing. We know that additional options are necessary if you want to match the Model Y Performance.
The only available option shown so far for the GT are color, wheel choice, 360 camera, and active park. The base GT will be mid 3 second to 60.

The above information are my take aways from reading the terms and conditions when placing my reservation.

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Doesn't matter, the building says FORD right on it. Their problem, not mine.

Doesn't instill confidence when I don't even know where to bring my car if I own a Tesla. I don't see Tesla as a competitor for Ford, as Tesla is niche and their target sales are snobbish west coasters, who can't be bothered with the small of gas, or the though of filling up their car. (Shame on you people!)

I get the idea, that since Tesla has no Dealers across the Country, that Ford Dealers can't service an EV... is your way of saying Tesla is better to own..?

I (along with nearly anyone I know) don't see Tesla as viable, because Tesla never opened up a stores in my State. Tesla is mostly for yuppies along the West Coast, Washington DC & New York. That is all Elon wants to sell too, because it's a status symbol. (And we all know Cali, DC and NY run off status.)

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
And will probably be sold to the nearest bidder when Elon looses interest in cars.
Elon is not going to lose interest because building cars was never his end game. Cars were just a means to an end. The end game are the batteries. That's where the money is. You are correct though as Tesla will wind up being sold to probably either GM or Ford.

Curious if the Cybertruck has caused anyone to drop the Mach E.
Yeah probably the same people who ordered an Escape and then decided to buy a F150. :) Seriously, I doubt it. CUV vs. full size pickup. Apples and Oranges.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Tesla is mostly for yuppies along the West Coast, Washington DC & New York. That is all Elon wants to sell too, because it's a status symbol. (And we all know Cali, DC and NY run off status.)
And that's where the big money is.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Doesn't matter, the building says FORD right on it. Their problem, not mine.

Doesn't instill confidence when I don't even know where to bring my car if I own a Tesla. I don't see Tesla as a competitor for Ford, as Tesla is niche and their target sales are snobbish west coasters, who can't be bothered with the small of gas, or the though of filling up their car. (Shame on you people!)

I get the idea, that since Tesla has no Dealers across the Country, that Ford Dealers can't service an EV... is your way of saying Tesla is better to own..?

I (along with nearly anyone I know) don't see Tesla as viable, because Tesla never opened up a stores in my State. Tesla is mostly for yuppies along the West Coast, Washington DC & New York. That is all Elon wants to sell too, because it's a status symbol. (And we all know Cali, DC and NY run off status.)
Tesla doesn't sell in your state because the dealers are scared shit of them and your politicians are gutless. Using archaic laws preventing direct sales/service of motor vehicles. And it's not just your state. How many sales have been lost because of this. How much more successful would Telsa be if they were treated fairly and allowed to be sold and serviced in all 50 states.

And your yuppies comment is just silly. Telsa sell cars in IL, MN, TN, & MS. All yuppie havens. Well at least you weren't picking on us boomers. :)

Where-Tesla-Can-Sell-Cars-Map.png

tesla-model-3-state1024x626.png
Sponsored