Sponsored

Are posers and clickbait whores killing S550 and other muscle cars...

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
So I'm looking for S550 dyno videos on YouTube, because... I'm obsessed apparently lol. And i stumbled across several videos of "new owners" bitching and complaining about common non issues. The most recent one i saw is a guy bitching about the MT82 on his 2020...

Here's the reality. Yes the MT82 isn't a ZF trans from, a E36 M3... Yes it's notch, noisy and has issues. But from Ford's perspective its a tranny capable of holding 700 whp reliably way more than the designed hp, The car comes with a powertrain warranty that you can extend to 75000 miles... Well beyond the expected ownership life of the car. And chances are good that if you don't track the car or beat on it, the trans will easily last 100s of thousands of miles.

Plus the fact is manuals accounted for 1% of new car sales, so the fact that they even offer these transmissions as an option is in many ways Ford making a poor business decision to appease a very small statistically irrelevant group of buyers...

Do i wish ford put a tremec tr6060 variant in these cars ... Hell yes. But the Mt82 is what we got, so why bitch about it... Especially when the issues are well documented with the mods you should do to improve it.

But theres a broader point here thats bigger than the transmission. When you buy a car especially a high performance sports car you go into it knowing that you'll one day have to pick up a wrench and do some mods or repairs... This has been true of every sports car since the dawn of time... It's even worse when you get an exotic. When people make videos bitching trolling for clicks... They're actually doing more harm than they think they are...

I dont think people who buy these cars fundamentally grasp that concept...and instead are disappointed when they realize they are in over their heads. Or bought a 460hp racecar expecting it to be like a 90hp Camry from the 90s...

Its just a matter of time before ford decides "based on numerous owner complaints" and to protect the brand to discontinue offering manuals, and eventually to discontinue the mustang as we currently know it... They will still use the "brand name" but the mustang will be a CVT automatic, with a electric motor, and 4 doors. Thats marketed as "sporty and economical"

Is that the future we really want?

Every car from a ford to a Porsche has issues. You buy the car because the overall ownership experience is worth the tradeoff and added labor or costs associated with it...

If you want reliable you buy a Corolla... If you want speed, rip it, break it, and pick up a wrench and fix it.
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Green initiatives, and people willing to accept bland, boring, and unexciting is killing muscle cars.

So many cars are just so boring and people are okay with that. Look at even the civic Si. It used to be a fun, tossable engaging drive. Now it's mostly just a Civic with stiffer ride and lsd. The performance sport compact market is dying too.

No one wants to work on cars. They want it to be like their iPhone. A utility that works, nothing else, and zero effort to keep it that way.

I've noticed more and more people that love to wrench are buying old(80-90's) Honda's, Toyotas, Nissan's, Ford or GM, and working on those. They are doing it less on newer cars.

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Green initiatives, and people willing to accept bland, boring, and unexciting is killing muscle cars.

So many cars are just so boring and people are okay with that. Look at even the civic Si. It used to be a fun, tossable engaging drive. Now it's mostly just a Civic with stiffer ride and lsd. The performance sport compact market is dying too.

No one wants to work on cars. They want it to be like their iPhone. A utility that works, nothing else, and zero effort to keep it that way.
Yeah and performance cars are inherently not supposed to be that way.

Wrenching on the stang is part of the tradition and something you pass down to your kids and they do with your grandkids.

That's a big part of car culture...

And I agree the civic type R is now a large turbocharged car. Mr. Honda himself was very much against turbos in street cars, their approach was always to be light weight and all motor.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
That shit never had a bearing on me. I was living dollar to dollar with muscle car heads and they showed me how to make money on the side. This shit is just weird with social media. But the cars are selling and I'm happy to finally afford the true next and maybe last gen of NA Muscle.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Nah, over the last few years the line between tuner and driver cars has changed. Used to be if you where a tuner (gearhead) and wanted to go fast you had to know a bit about the mechanical side and there was brand loyalty, so if you were a ford fan you’d buy a 205 hp mustang and work on it to beat the competition, same with Chevy, Honda, etc
On the flip side you have the “driver” crowd that just wants to buy a car that is already pretty fast, use it for a dd and swear it’s the fastest thing on the block.....you’ve all met those at one time or another.
Us gearheads know that no matter what car we buy it’s going to break stuff and have to be worked on because we’re going to push it constantly beyond what it was designed to do.

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Never run out of inconsequential things to complain about, eh?

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I'd prefer to have a fun vehicle that I don't have to wrench on unless I'm trying to extract more performance. I love driving manual transmission cars, but all I want to do is check fluids and air pressures in the tires, and drive the car.

Plus, it's harder to work on cars now, with 500 panels that need to be popped off to get to one bolt that requires a special tool to remove. I do a lot of my own work, but I also know what things I want to tackle, vs what I have no interest in doing.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I think that part of the problem is that we've never had it so good and a lot of people just don't realize it. Take one of those complainers back fifty years and drop him in a '68 Hemi Dart and tell him to take it down the strip. I'm sure he'd turn into a whimpering puddle.

I'm quite happy with my stock car and have no intention to do any mods. But I don't complain about my car as it sits, either.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I'd prefer to have a fun vehicle that I don't have to wrench on unless I'm trying to extract more performance. I love driving manual transmission cars, but all I want to do is check fluids and air pressures in the tires, and drive the car.

Plus, it's harder to work on cars now, with 500 panels that need to be popped off to get to one bolt that requires a special tool to remove. I do a lot of my own work, but I also know what things I want to tackle, vs what I have no interest in doing.
Same here I just want to take care of the car. Check the fluids, keep it spotless and pretty and drive it hard when I want to. I'm not good mechanically so working on a car isn't really wise for me as I tend to bugger stuff up.

But I want a fast car so if it costs me money to have someone work on it so be it. Truth is I don't have the stuff to do much on a car & I can't be bothered to go buy it now. On the plus side this poser put his hard earned money down on a GT so its one less car that didn't get sold.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Let's see, in the first post, you said 75,000 miles was well beyond the expected ownership life of the car. Maybe if you're high school age to mid twenties, maybe not. But I bought a 2002 Camaro SS and only sold it in 2014. I expect my 2019 Mustang GT will be around for well more than 10 years.

If it will only last 75,000 miles, it's pretty much junk. I certainly HOPE it is better than that!

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
I have said this in many other threads that I actually think the MT-82 is a good transmission, I have never had one issue with lock outs, missed shifts, etc. The one factor that is not spoken about is driver interaction. I am not saying it is always the driver's fault, but some of these cars are beat on pretty hard, a new owner picks one up, jams the shifter into gear at max RPM and slams the clutch out, gets a lockout then calls the MT-82 junk, when it's clearly not. A lot of those stories are from tuned examples as well, and the hard shifts are coming north of 7000 RPM.

Of other note, there is definitely some hate towards the MT-82 from some of the new A10 owners, like choosing the MT-82 is ridiculous when the A10 is so much faster, the MT-82 is junk, etc. If you enjoy the A10 (it is a fantastic auto, no doubt) cool, enjoy it. For us MT-82 folks, we wanted to have direct control over gear selection using a clutch and shifter, I would gladly give up a few tenths at a drag strip for that connected feel over the car. In the end, I say enjoy what you have, and let others enjoy what they have without bashing it.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Only reason the new autos are faster than the manuals is gear ratios. 1st gear in the auto is 4.69. 1st gear in manual is 3.66. I remember doing the trans gear ratio * rear gear ratio, and it wasn't until 4th gear the manual would have greater torque multiplication. I'd love to see a manual get similar gearing to the auto to get a true apples to apples comparison of manual vs auto.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Only reason the new autos are faster than the manuals is gear ratios. 1st gear in the auto is 4.69. 1st gear in manual is 3.66. I remember doing the trans gear ratio * rear gear ratio, and it wasn't until 4th gear the manual would have greater torque multiplication. I'd love to see a manual get similar gearing to the auto to get a true apples to apples comparison of manual vs auto.
Wrong, apples to apples, same driver an auto will always be faster, period. Don’t get me wrong I love a stick shift, but it is what it is.
Sponsored