Sponsored

Favorite Motor Oil to use

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
What is your favorite oil to use? I read mobil 1 is one of the best to use for winter and extreme testing. Any opinions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was a religious Mobile 1 user for my Focus ST, or Castrol Edge.

With the Mustang, I did a lot of searching on this forum and found Mobil 1 wasn’t necessarily the ideal oil for the Coyote.

I have used Pennzoil Platinum (Ultra Platinum is avail as well) and Quaker State Ultimate Durability, both 5w20. I can’t say I noticed a difference other than MAYBE slightly quieter engine noise with Pennzoil. If I had to say “this is the oil I’ll run forever” it would be Pennzoil Ultimate Platinum.

They are similar oils but in some recent digging around the forum Pennzoil had a better additives package and ranked slightly higher in overall testing. But both were ahead of Mobil 1.

A lot of people swear by Amsoil as well.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
My personal choice is Mobil 1. have used it an all my street cars, RVs and track cars for over 40 years. One season I was sponsored by another brand. We poured out the sponsor's oil and gave it away and put Mobil 1 in the other brands bottles encase we needed oil while at the track. I truly believe in their product.
On a side note, in my GT I have used 10w30. On the next change I am going to try 10w40 and then on the one after that, move up to 0w50 to see which feels right for the 5.0. I live in SoCal so I am not to worried about the cold temps.

gstboy69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
5.0 2018
Castrol Edge 5w-30!!!! And 2 bottles of ceratec.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What is your favorite oil to use? I read mobil 1 is one of the best to use for winter and extreme testing. Any opinions?
Not a fan of most Mobil 1 options, especially for extreme driving (eg. continuous track use) as I've seen it thin out more than desired. The only exception to that is the 0W-40 European Formula.

I personally use Penzoil Ultra Platinum, $24 for 5 quarts is a killer deal.

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I think if you search and review UOA's, you will find that Mobil 1 is mediocre at best. Not just Mustang forums, but across the board. If using an off the shelf brand, Pennzoil Ultra platinum or for the bast bang for the buck, QSUD. If you really want the best oil you can buy, Amsoil SS is it. It consistently outperforms all others in most areas, especially in respect to things like wear, cold temp characteristics, and drain intervals. Just my .02

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Rotella T6 Full syn 5W40 ($49 for a 10 qt jug at Rural King) with a bottle of Liquid Moly Ceratec and a Motorsport filter each of the last 3 oil changes in my '18 coyote.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
My personal choice is Mobil 1. have used it an all my street cars, RVs and track cars for over 40 years. One season I was sponsored by another brand. We poured out the sponsor's oil and gave it away and put Mobil 1 in the other brands bottles encase we needed oil while at the track. I truly believe in their product.
On a side note, in my GT I have used 10w30. On the next change I am going to try 10w40 and then on the one after that, move up to 0w50 to see which feels right for the 5.0. I live in SoCal so I am not to worried about the cold temps.
Backed up by any teardowns? And what oil temps do you see on the track with 0w50, out of pure curiosity?

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Pennzoil platinum euro 5w40. It has a stronger additive pack than even ultra platinum.

S550-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Race Red
+1 for Mobile 1 Full Synthetic. You can pick them up pretty cheap at Walmart too.

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
I use Pennzoil ultra platinum but not for any strong reason. Seems fine enough.

Costco just came out with a Kirkland Signature synthetic oil... 2x 5qt bottles for $30 online. Heard it drops down to $25 in store occasionally. Going to do some research on this...
Sponsored

Last edited: