Time to ditch the summer tires?

SilverbackGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I'm running my GT at VIR next weekend (HPDE2) and trying to make a decision on tire setup. My Michelin SS 305/30/19s still have some life left (about one more weekend worth) so I'd like to go ahead and wear em out. However, they're slippery on the street right now when it gets cold out and I'm wondering if it's time to swap them out for winter tires. I know it'll be easier to warm em up at the track but this is my first year driving track so a second opinion would be much obliged.

Lows in the 30s and highs in the 40s

Winter tire suggestions for North Carolina? I don't plan to drive my mustang in the snow, just cold temperatures.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SilverbackGT

SilverbackGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Great I'll check out those pirellis. I reached out to Michelin but I have a feeling they tell me to swap out the super sports for an all season tire.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Just put Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on mine. The summer tires are on the rack.

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
Can't speak on the track question, but Pirelli Sotozero III's are very good on cold, dry pavement.
I have these as my winters. Have been using them two winters now. We dont get very much snow here in Copenhagen, Denmark. These tires have not seen more than two inches of snow so far. Most important thing is I feel confident driving the car with these tires in these conditions.

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
255 and 275/40 19

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
For the track, any tire that's at all suitable for that activity will need to be gradually warmed up over the first two or three laps, possibly longer. Drive with a little enthusiasm and pick up the pace gradually to build heat. I'm assuming Pilot Super Sports here, not the PS4S as I have no personal experience with the newer tire. I wouldn't trust any winter tire to hold up.

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ should have enough cold-weather capability for the temperatures that you listed, and should be capable of dealing with light snow.

Norm

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i dont know how people drive these cars in the snow let alone several inches of it. ive attempted here in reno i can barely let the clutch out without the car slipping. i know my tires arent the greatest but i cant grab worth a shit unless its dead flat. think im on the goodyear eagle f1 a/s

ElCid08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Dealing with the same thing here in SC. Lows are dipping into the 20’s this week. Swapping my 4S’s for A/S’s.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
All season tires are no season tires unless you live in Arizona. The compound compromises to give "good enough" performance across a wide temperature range. Good enough isn't sufficient for extreme weather, especially in a performance car. If you had a good set of winter tires, you'd understand how much of a difference it makes. The car is easily driveable year round with the right rubber.
i guess so. my tires seem to do well enough in all conditions except snow. i had to replace the factory summer tires by like 2500 miles cause it was too cold here and i didnt have the option to go a set for summer and another for winter. will def be getting a second set when these ones are toast.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
All season tires are no season tires unless you live in Arizona. The compound compromises to give "good enough" performance across a wide temperature range. Good enough isn't sufficient for extreme weather, especially in a performance car. If you had a good set of winter tires, you'd understand how much of a difference it makes. The car is easily driveable year round with the right rubber.
In kluke's case, "good enough" would probably have to cover for exaggerated throttle response coming from that Lund 91 tune. Why do you think that factory tunes for snow/wet are even milder than "normal mode", let alone anything more responsive. Whether it's you working the pedal or the ECU translating that to the throttle plate, tire grip can only support a limited amount of throttle plate opening.

I have no idea how effective the S550's traction control might be, but I can tell you that you're better off not trying to drive like it's still summer and relying on TC to keep you out of wheelspin.

kluke - I'd strongly suggest swapping the tune back to OE for the winter and re-installing that Lund once the weather warms up again. And go a little (or maybe a lot) gentler with both the gas and clutch engagement getting the car underway. Don't even think of this in terms like "launching".

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would run the Pilot SS tires on track and then change to winter tires for street use after that. I wouldn't want to burn up a fresh set of winter tires and then end up with poor traction until spring comes around. I've run the Pilot SS tires in cool and cold temperatures and they work surprisingly well. Just take it easy at first to get a feel for how they are doing (pretty much like you probably always do at the track).

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Here in Az summer tires are all season tires. I put 21000 miles on the mps4s in my first year with this car. Definitely need new rear tires by the end of '19... sorry cant put any input into which tires are best for snow. I'd be lost if I woke up and had to shovel snow to leave my house.

OP
OP
SilverbackGT

SilverbackGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I would run the Pilot SS tires on track and then change to winter tires for street use after that. I wouldn't want to burn up a fresh set of winter tires and then end up with poor traction until spring comes around. I've run the Pilot SS tires in cool and cold temperatures and they work surprisingly well. Just take it easy at first to get a feel for how they are doing (pretty much like you probably always do at the track).
This is the positive reassurance that I was looking for LOL. Might bring a set of medium-soft hardness Hoosiers to try out if the super sports just refuse to bite. Thanks!

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
In kluke's case, "good enough" would probably have to cover for exaggerated throttle response coming from that Lund 91 tune. Why do you think that factory tunes for snow/wet are even milder than "normal mode", let alone anything more responsive. Whether it's you working the pedal or the ECU translating that to the throttle plate, tire grip can only support a limited amount of throttle plate opening.

I have no idea how effective the S550's traction control might be, but I can tell you that you're better off not trying to drive like it's still summer and relying on TC to keep you out of wheelspin.

kluke - I'd strongly suggest swapping the tune back to OE for the winter and re-installing that Lund once the weather warms up again. And go a little (or maybe a lot) gentler with both the gas and clutch engagement getting the car underway. Don't even think of this in terms like "launching".

Norm
i dont even give it gas. i was saying i literally slowly let the clutch out no gas and it will still spin in some conditions.
Sponsored