Sponsored

I have A 2019 GT Flat Spots on the tires?

Bernie D

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernie
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have A 2019 GT convertible with 20” wheels. How much air should I put in my tires while it’s in winter storage so it doesn’t get Flat Spots on the tires? I was told 50 Lin’s then 90 lbs.
Sponsored

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
If you're THAT worried about flat spots then put it on jack stands.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Just take it out when the roads are clean & clear.

And FYI, never, ever has there been a thread where a poster has complained about flat-spotting their tires while the car was stored.

Methinks it's an old-wive's tale, and nothing to do with reality.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I have A 2019 GT convertible with 20” wheels. How much air should I put in my tires while it’s in winter storage so it doesn’t get Flat Spots on the tires? I was told 50 Lin’s then 90 lbs.
Over the years I have had cars parked over long periods of time and never had any problems. The only thing I do is make sure the pressure is maintained.

If you are really worried you could get these from Raceramps.

41EN8Aytb2L._AC_.jpg

https://www.raceramps.com/car-storage/ramps/p/flatstoppers/

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Ain't gonna happen. Don't worry about it.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I think dealers put them up to 40 psi, but flat spots should be gone within a heat cycle I would think.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I would never put 50-90 lbs of air in a street car tire.

If you are really worried about this then the jack stand solution is your best way to go for medium to long term storage.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
One of my corvettes sat outside all winter under a cover. Never moved and had it with both runflats and all seasons and never had a problem.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That’s not an answer.
OK Bernie, calm down. We are all just trying to help.

Here is you answer from Goodyear;

Storing Your VehicleWithoutRemovingtheTires
Ideally, a vehicle in storage should be placed on blocks to remove all weight from the tires. If the vehicle cannot be put on blocks, follow these steps for tire protection:

• Completely unload the vehicle so that minimum weight will be placed on the tires
  • Inflate tires to recommended operating pressure plus 25%. Ensure that the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity is not exceeded
  • Be sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well drained and reasonably level
  • Avoid moving the vehicle during extremely cold weather
  • Move the vehicle at least every three months to prevent ozone cracking in the tire bulge area, as well as “flat-spotting” from the prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection
  • Adjust inflation before putting the vehicle back into service

Sponsored

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I think some tires do flat spot. When we bought our Mustang, we also had an Acura TL which was my wifes daily driver. So we kept it for a while as a spare vehicle, the mustang became her daily driver. The Acura had Michelin all seasons on it. The tires on it would definitely flat spot if we didnt drive it for a week or so, but they would get round again after driving the car for around 5 miles. On the Acura forums, other folks also talked about those tires flat spotting. I also have a boat. When I put it away for the winter, I put it up on jack stands and when I turn the tires, you can definitely see the tires are not round, they would not have been turned for a month or so. they have become out of round or flat spotted, but if I go spin them a week later, they have corrected themselves and become round again. Just due to the air pressure in them, 50lbs. These tires are Goodyear endurance radial trailer tires, not junk trailer tires. I think your tires MAY flat spot or go out of round, but I think they may correct themselves after a few miles of driving.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I think some tires do flat spot. When we bought our Mustang, we also had an Acura TL which was my wifes daily driver. So we kept it for a while as a spare vehicle, the mustang became her daily driver. The Acura had Michelin all seasons on it. The tires on it would definitely flat spot if we didnt drive it for a week or so, but they would get round again after driving the car for around 5 miles. On the Acura forums, other folks also talked about those tires flat spotting. I also have a boat. When I put it away for the winter, I put it up on jack stands and when I turn the tires, you can definitely see the tires are not round, they would not have been turned for a month or so. they have become out of round or flat spotted, but if I go spin them a week later, they have corrected themselves and become round again. Just due to the air pressure in them, 50lbs. These tires are Goodyear endurance radial trailer tires, not junk trailer tires. I think your tires MAY flat spot or go out of round, but I think they may correct themselves after a few miles of driving.
Think about the age of the tires on the Acura and on the boat trailer.

Tires that have aged past their date would be far more susceptible to flat-spotting. New tires, not so much. UV light and exposure to the elements ruin tires.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
The Acura tires were older, low miles, but only half tread, the boat trailer tires are brand new. The Acura tires flat spotted since new (like if we went on a vacation and left it at the airport for 10 days or so.) But you are probably right on older tires for sure.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
That’s not an answer.
LOL, that is THE answer. Short of moving the car once a month thats how you eliminate the possibility of flat spots in your tires....
Sponsored