stevezurga

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R.
Hey Everyone,

I just took delivery of a 2019 GT350R from Huntington Beach Ford and drove her home to Phoenix AZ. Totally new to this but I plan on taking her to track events and doing a lot of the maintenance myself. I was looking for other GT350 owners in Phoenix that we’re interested in the same that could steer me to the right driving clubs, events, best places to get your car worked on, etc.

BTW CA highway 74 across two mountain ranges from Dana Point to Palm Spring is one hellava introduction to this car!

Thanks,
Steve Zurga
Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
welcome steve to the forum and the shelby family. congrats on your R. one thing i found hilarious is how you actually drove into CA to get an R (huntington beach is about 30 mins from me). 99% of us CA guys get our R's OUTSIDE of CA bc of ADMs. i got mine in TX.

anyway congrats and hope you connect with other shelby guys in AZ. post some pics.

fpGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Dodge Viper RT10, 09 Mercedes AMG C63, 18 Shelby GT350
Hey Everyone,

I just took delivery of a 2019 GT350R from Huntington Beach Ford and drove her home to Phoenix AZ. Totally new to this but I plan on taking her to track events and doing a lot of the maintenance myself. I was looking for other GT350 owners in Phoenix that we’re interested in the same that could steer me to the right driving clubs, events, best places to get your car worked on, etc.

BTW CA highway 74 across two mountain ranges from Dana Point to Palm Spring is one hellava introduction to this car!

Thanks,
Steve Zurga
Not interested in tracking my Shelby but did lots of HPDE events in Phoenix with other cars. The BMWCCA and NASA both conduct high quality events in Phoenix. Congratulations on your purchase!

WayOfWilliam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Gt350, 2006 Evo 9, 1974 Mazda REPU
Fellow Phoenix owner here! What FP said above is correct with those two groups, and I can't really think of any more off the top of my head. I know there is also drift and drag nights but that quite a bit different from what you want to do. As for tracks, there is Apex, Wildhorse Pass, and I think one in Apache Junction? As for working on car, I tend to do it myself so I can't help you there. I have heard good things about SanTan ford though!

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
The big HPDE groups are:

NASA AZ Region
Proautosports
BMWCCA
PCA

For autocross:

AZ Solo
AZ Border Region SCCA
Sierra Sports Car Club(the club im in down in Sierra Vista)

For any events at Arizona Motorsports Park in Litchfield, you'll need to do some work to pass sound(grimmspeed adapters/plugs, and turn downs). The other tracks, Inde, Wild Horse Pass, Atessa, Apex don't have any restrictions.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stevezurga

stevezurga

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R.
B1B9C870-169E-4771-A200-081EFBD95929.jpeg

Thanks! Photo Posted. At Laguna Beach. I was eyeing this particular color white/black stripes at The dealership and found myself in Long Beach for work for one night and went to take a look and decided now or never....

welcome steve to the forum and the shelby family. congrats on your R. one thing i found hilarious is how you actually drove into CA to get an R (huntington beach is about 30 mins from me). 99% of us CA guys get our R's OUTSIDE of CA bc of ADMs. i got mine in TX.

anyway congrats and hope you connect with other shelby guys in AZ. post some pics.

OP
OP
stevezurga

stevezurga

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R.
Not interested in tracking my Shelby but did lots of HPDE events in Phoenix with other cars. The BMWCCA and NASA both conduct high quality events in Phoenix. Congratulations on your purchase!
Thanks for the information. I plan on joining NASA in the coming months. I’m just wanting to take it to local track events purely for the fun of driving. Maybe we’ll see each other at one of those events!

OP
OP
stevezurga

stevezurga

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R.
The big HPDE groups are:

NASA AZ Region
Proautosports
BMWCCA
PCA

For autocross:

AZ Solo
AZ Border Region SCCA
Sierra Sports Car Club(the club im in down in Sierra Vista)

For any events at Arizona Motorsports Park in Litchfield, you'll need to do some work to pass sound(grimmspeed adapters/plugs, and turn downs). The other tracks, Inde, Wild Horse Pass, Atessa, Apex don't have any restrictions.
Thank you for the info. I’m totally new to taking a car to a track except for a day with a 911T at the Porsche experience center. I LOVE this car and want to drive it the way it was intended. That means I have a lot to learn. I’ve raced other things but not cars and want to work on the car myself so the confidence is there that it’s done right.

OP
OP
stevezurga

stevezurga

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R.
Fellow Phoenix owner here! What FP said above is correct with those two groups, and I can't really think of any more off the top of my head. I know there is also drift and drag nights but that quite a bit different from what you want to do. As for tracks, there is Apex, Wildhorse Pass, and I think one in Apache Junction? As for working on car, I tend to do it myself so I can't help you there. I have heard good things about SanTan ford though!
Thanks for the info. Is there a group of Phoenix owners that get together for these events or are you connected through the various groups like NASA?

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Hey man! Great to see local guys that want to track their stuff. Myself and @Cardude99 are going to be doing an autocross event in December at Arizona Motorsports Park if you're interested. We don't have GT350s, but it would be cool to have you go with us. Obviously, open invite to everyone.

Also, anyone here have a black 350 and lives at 79th-ish Ave and Union?

Sponsored
OP
OP
stevezurga

stevezurga

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R.
Hey man! Great to see local guys that want to track their stuff. Myself and @Cardude99 are going to be doing an autocross event in December at Arizona Motorsports Park if you're interested. We don't have GT350s, but it would be cool to have you go with us. Obviously, open invite to everyone.

Yes. I would be interested I shot you a PM, Cheers Steve

WayOfWilliam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Gt350, 2006 Evo 9, 1974 Mazda REPU

Also very interested, but honestly don't know if my car will pass the decibel limit :angel:

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Also very interested, but honestly don't know if my car will pass the decibel limit :angel:
My 18 GT with active exhaust with just an x pipe in quiet mode did not pass last time. There are ways to pass, but it involves putting turn downs on the active tips on the GT350. It shift at 5k lol

Yes. I would be interested I shot you a PM, Cheers Steve
Got it. I will text you and I'll post the date and time for the autocross in this thread.

itsnicktime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby gt350
Hey, I am in Phoenix and am out with NASA AZ pretty regularly with mine for HPDE events. I just did Wild Horse Pass West track this past weekend and will be out at East in December. I was also able to pass sound at AMP in January with the AWE switchpath and keeping the valves closed the whole time so I don't have to lift. There was an R and he just had to lift, but I literally hit redline in 2nd by the sound meter and lifting is no fun. But this car will pass sound with the valves closed.