Sponsored

How bad it’s really going wot all the time?

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Good evening y’all. Well it has been a few months now with the Procharger P-1X. The car is absolutely amazing, although I hardly drive the car. Every time I get the chance to drive it, probably no more than 5 miles a day, I absolutely go wot when I have the chance. I do wait for the car to get the right temp before I do go wot. The car seems fine and I’m just wondering if I’m hurting the car because I hardly drive it and go wot when I drive it. Thanks.
Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Its A reasonable question even professional racing schools talk about not going fully WOT to lower wear and tear on the engines.

For competative driving they don't give a shit, just survive the race.

That said OP. the coyote is a very strong motor, its not as delicate as some on here would have you believe, so enjoy ypur car.

Just make sure to monitor your oil temps not your coolant temps... The oil is the most important thing, if u start reving high and dping WOT on cold oil you're just punishing your main bearings.

On These motors the things to be wary of is the ringlands mainly due to detonation , bad fuel and high boost levels. The oil pump and crank gears and of course the stock clutch...

Ford Claims These cars are designed to run on 87 octane... But i recommend getting 93 only... Its cheap insurance

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Its A reasonable question even professional racing schools talk about not going fully WOT to lower wear and tear on the engines.

For competative driving they don't give a shit, just survive the race.

That said OP. the coyote is a very strong motor, its not as delicate as some on here would have you believe, so enjoy ypur car.

Just make sure to monitor your oil temps not your coolant temps... The oil is the most important thing, if u start reving high and dping WOT on cold oil you're just punishing your main bearings.

On These motors the things to be wary of is the ringlands mainly due to detonation , bad fuel and high boost levels. The oil pump and crank gears and of course the stock clutch...

Ford Claims These cars are designed to run on 87 octane... But i recommend getting 93 only... Its cheap insurance
Thanks for the input man. I do monitor almost everything after installing the s/c. I don’t go stupid after starting the car because the oil haven’t lubricate the entire engine. I’m mainly using top gas company for 93 fuel because it is tune for that octane. The car seems healthy even beating on it every time I get the chance to drive it. Big investment for so I got to ask experienced mustang enthusiasts. Thanks again.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
This car haven’t tasted an 87 octane since buying it brand new. I just never did went that route bec I know 93 octane is better than 87. Now it’s s/c, 93 is a must every time.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Thanks for the input man. I do monitor almost everything after installing the s/c. I don’t go stupid after starting the car because the oil haven’t lubricate the entire engine. I’m mainly using top gas company for 93 fuel because it is tune for that octane. The car seems healthy even beating on it every time I get the chance to drive it. Big investment for so I got to ask experienced mustang enthusiasts. Thanks again.
it may not be a bad idea to do a compression test every now and then just to catch any potential issues early.

These cars can crack a ringland and still run "healthy" until it melts the piston. If you catch the issue early u can salvage the engine.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
As long as you are not getting knock you are fine.

If you don’t drive it a lot drop some boostane in it to make sure you stay safe on octane.

As for you question if you can be to hard on the car, I think the answer is no. As long as fluids are in proper range you are good. If there is something wrong with the engine you will find it faster but that’s just time either way. Keep knock in check, keep it cool and drive it like you want.
I guess boostane is a good insurance for this car. Yeah I’m keeping it cool, always monitoring the gauges, and no known knocks whatsoever.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
it may not be a bad idea to do a compression test every now and then just to catch any potential issues early.

These cars can crack a ringland and still run "healthy" until it melts the piston. If you catch the issue early u can salvage the engine.
That’s a pretty good idea and testing the compression on this car never crossed my mind. Thanks man.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
That’s a pretty good idea and testing the compression on this car never crossed my mind. Thanks man.
Yeah once a year is plenty. And its a easy do it yourself job. Gives you a chance to read the plugs too.

Last edited:

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I guess boostane is a good insurance for this car. Yeah I’m keeping it cool, always monitoring the gauges, and no known knocks whatsoever.
I'm personally wary of octane boosters because even though they are marked as O2 safe ive had sensors fail on an old car I used to run. These cars have wideband o2 sensors those aren't cheap to replace..

I guess if you aren't going overboard with it you'll be fine. The good thing about boostane is it keeps the fuel stable when the car sits.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm personally wary of octane boosters because even though they are marked as O2 safe ive had sensors fail on an old car I used to run. These cars have wideband o2 sensors those aren't cheap to replace..

I guess if you aren't going overboard with it you'll be fine. The good thing about boostane is it keeps the fuel stable when the car sits.
I guess I should elaborate more on the car sitting all the time. Basically it’s a weekend warrior car. If not getting driven after 5 days, I crank the car and let it run so the fuel and engine oil cycles until normal temp is reached.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I guess I should elaborate more on the car sitting all the time. Basically it’s a weekend warrior car. If not getting driven after 5 days, I crank the car and let it run so the fuel and engine oil cycles until normal temp is reached.
Yeah you'll be fine then... Itsjusta6 on YouTube ran 900+whp on a gen 2 for over a year heavy drag racing finally cracked a ring land... These engines are tough

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just enjoy it and maintain it. Wanna be safe? don’t enjoy it, simple.
I’m definitely enjoying it every time I take it out for a spin. S/c absolutely beats the nitrous to maintain the power consistently. Now, maintenance are my concerns at this point to keep enjoying it.

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
All motors die eventually. Enjoy your car and just make sure you do your due diligence.
Sponsored