Sponsored

Need help with wheel vibration (275 square set-up)

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I have a 2019 GT PP1, one of the first things I did (in the first 250 miles) was purchase 2 OEM rear PP1 rims (the 19x9.5) to mount on the front so I could have a square set-up of 275s all around instead of the stock staggered set-up. I had the dealer put on these 5mm spacers, as per recommendations on here, for the front, so the rear pp1 rims would fit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KTPELT2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wd4UDbFHXTP5D
Now, that was about a year ago and everything was fine.

It was time to do a tire rotation several weeks back, brought my car to the place I’ve been going to for over a decade, after the rotation there was a vibration. I brought the car back and they did a balance, however, the vibration was still there, so I brought it back again and they re-did the balance and it was back to being smooth... that is, until the next day, where the vibration returned (though not as bad as before), that was a couple weeks ago as I haven’t had time to bring it back. I was finally able to bring my car back on Tuesday, they did another balance and checked to make sure no tire weights were missing and that nothing was wrong with the tires or rims. The guys there said it may simply be the spacers causing this as each time you re-mount a tire (when using a spacer), the slightest thing could cause a vibration. Got the car back on the road and now the vibration is worse than ever, where I can practically see the nose of my car almost shaking back and forth (very slightly) from all of the vibration.

The heck is going on here? Why was it completely fine prior to the rotation? I checked and those slip-on spacers are definitely still mounted.
Do I absolutely need those spacers to run the 19x9.5s in the front? Any issues if I just had them removed and had the wheels mounted without the spacers?
Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
If the wheels don't rub on the calipers I don't see a problem running the 9.5 on the front.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the wheels don't rub on the calipers I don't see a problem running the 9.5 on the front.
I guess what I’m asking is two things:
First: can 9.5 wide rims fit on the front of a PP1 without spacers and without rubbing?
Second: has anyone heard of this issue with spacers (suddenly vibrating after a tire rotation)?

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
Maybe try a different shop?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should mention that the place I’ve been bringing it to has not been charging me since the rotation and the balance. That’s why I’m hesitant to “try another shop” and pay for the issue to still not be fixed.

Surely someone here would know if this is a common issue with spacers or if I’m being BSed? Or if it’s possible to run rear PP1 Rims on the front without spacers?

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
I run 275 square on 10” wheels with spacers up front, stick on wheel weights, and have no vibration issues.
If the front of your car is vibrating back and forth, that’s not a tire balance issue, tire balance would show up and down. Sounds more likely that you may have a broken belt in the tread, loose/bad wheel bearing or perhaps idler arm, or it could be as simple as foreign material between the space and hub or spacer and wheel.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I run 275 square on 10” wheels with spacers up front, stick on wheel weights, and have no vibration issues.
If the front of your car is vibrating back and forth, that’s not a tire balance issue, tire balance would show up and down. Sounds more likely that you may have a broken belt in the tread, loose/bad wheel bearing or perhaps idler arm, or it could be as simple as foreign material between the space and hub or spacer and wheel.
They actually checked all that (minus foreign material) and told me the tire and bearings were all good. If I let go of the steering wheel, the car does remain straight. The nose was just noticeably bouncing at high-speeds, seemingly matching the vibration from the steering wheel, if that makes sense?

I’m planning on bringing my car back on Monday. I could have them verify that there’s nothing foreign that found it’s way around the spacer/wheel. Anything else you’d recommend I have them check? I’m tempted to have them rotate the tires back and see if that resolves the issue as well.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
They actually checked all that (minus foreign material) and told me the tire and bearings were all good. If I let go of the steering wheel, the car does remain straight. The nose was just noticeably bouncing at high-speeds, seemingly matching the vibration from the steering wheel, if that makes sense?

I’m planning on bringing my car back on Monday. I could have them verify that there’s nothing foreign that found it’s way around the spacer/wheel. Anything else you’d recommend I have them check? I’m tempted to have them rotate the tires back and see if that resolves the issue as well.
Other than what I mentioned.....not really, unless there is something actually inside the tire, water, fix-a-flat, etc. I would jack up the offending corner and spin the wheel by hand while carefully watching the tread in the center to see if you can detect a wiggle in the pattern, that’ll indicate a broken belt....while it’s up grasp the wheel on either side and wiggle it to see if there’s any play, if so that’s an idler arm or other front end component, then grasp it top and bottom, wiggling again, if there’s play it’ll indicate a bad/loose wheel bearing/ ball joint, etc.
Anyway, hope it’s something simple for you.

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Have them try to fit without the spacers to see if it clears. Might also try swapping wheels back the way they were before rotation. If vibration persists, try to clean the mounting surfaces with a wire brush to make sure there's no rust nor scale causing spacer not to sit flat

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like the 19x9.5” rims/wheels fit fine without the spacers. Zero vibration now. :headbang:
So, good news is, anyone who wants 9.5” wide rims on their PP1 doesn’t need to use a spacer :p
Sponsored