Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
After my 4 hours of fun at the GT500 Track tour I was planning to put pen to paper, or finger to keyboard, about the technical aspects of the GT500. After reading a few of the magazine reviews about the car I realized there are others with far more automotive experience that can accomplish that task better. The essential question we are all asking ourselves is will you sell you current Ford to obtain one? Having owned a GT350, GT350R, and Whippled Terminator I want to present to you my thoughts on the matter. These are my angles, and many things are left to consider. Please share your thoughts when you finish reading this, as it may help others.

Complicated-Calculus-Article-1-of-17.jpg
Complicated-Calculus-Article-12-of-17.jpg

The GT500 is many things. One thing I can confidently say that it wont be, is a disappointment. There is a concert of systems working in harmony to make that car exquisite to drive. Anyone that currently owns a GT350 will have that same special feeling and shit eating grin when you get inside of it. On track the CFTP manages weight, body roll, turn in, grip, throttle application, shifts and everything else without you thinking about it. On the drag strip it makes launching a simple process without you thinking about it. Set a lap record without breaking a sweat then go enjoy a nice charcuterie board in between sessions.... Remember that thought until later...

Complicated-Calculus-Article-3-of-17.jpg
Complicated-Calculus-Article-4-of-17.jpg
Complicated-Calculus-Article-5-of-17.jpg

When you think about combat effectiveness, or picking the right tool for the job, the A7 from Tremec makes complete and total sense. With contenders like the Hellcat and ZL1 LE there would be too much margin for error with a manual if your ultimate goal is to demolish everything else currently on the street. Not only to demolish, but to give customers of all skill levels the ability to harness the power on tap no matter what performance situation they enter into. I spoke with a Tremec engineer at the event and quickly mentioned the epitome of manually shifting automatic transmissions, the Porsche PDK. It was made clear that much effort was put into benchmarking against that transmission, and making this one even better. They did it, although experience with the transmission on the street in traffic is an unknown. If anyone here has been in a high horsepower manual car you know with great power, comes great responsibility. Power management out of an apex or off the line is a constant battle, and often costs you time. I did not think the automatic transmission would be rewarding, but it definitely was. The Whippled Terminator I had was an absolute beast, but really took a skilled driver to extract the most from. The car was either roasting the tires or roasting the tires anytime I put that foot to the floor. I do not foresee that being the case here, and that is a benefit for everyone driving it. The A7 is not only a win for the car, but a win for all of us that want to see the GT500 on the top of the food chain.

Complicated-Calculus-Article-11-of-17.jpg

HOWEVER, there are many factors about performance car ownership that many never discuss. The ability to fit your kids and wife inside for a trip to cars and coffee. The point of diminishing returns with modifications. Dreading a trip because being caught in traffic will give your left knee atrophy. Tossing the keys to your wife so she can take the car to work and not be in fear of stalling out on the driveway into the office. New enthusiasts that would be too timid to push the car because a stick shift is intimidating. Enthusiasts with a little more mileage on their bodies and cant manage a stick shift anymore. This level of accessibility and versatility makes the GT500 a big win, but will also bring many more buyers into the pool.

Complicated-Calculus-Article-6-of-17.jpg

As I took the 600 mile drive back home from Vegas I didn’t feel as though I was missing anything in my GT350R. Several other vehicles pulled out cameras and the driver of a Dodge truck chased me down to get a closer look. Downshifts with a quick rev match to pass big rigs was satisfying at my core. The looks, rarity, and balance of the GT350R made me happy with the woman I married. Knowing that when GT500 production gets fully underway there will be plenty of them in production and at dealerships. Aside from the CFTP, exclusivity and ADM wont be the name of the game for long.

Complicated-Calculus-Article-8-of-17.jpg
Complicated-Calculus-Article-9-of-17.jpg

My brief time in the GT500 was amazing. What stuck in my mind the most was my feeling of detachment while on track. That previous thought about exquisite management of all the systems, it also was what made me feel a little disconnected from the whole experience. Kind of like when your wife tells you to lay back and let her do all the work. Undoubtedly fun, but I still want to put in a little work.....sometimes. It’s my only criticism, but its not the GT500’s fault. My brain and testosterone filled need to feel like I am the one controlling the car is what holds me back. That will be the basic question you need to ask yourself before you make the move. Are you ready to fundamentally change your mind about what performance driving is like without a manual. Those that are ready will not be disappointed. Those that are not ready, still wont be disappointed, but you may want to keep 6 gears nearby for that occasional fix.

Complicated-Calculus-Article-2-of-17.jpg
Complicated-Calculus-Article-7-of-17.jpg

This closing statement is not made to knock any other variant of Mustang on the road, or to seem elitist about the GT350R. It just happens to be the top dog Mustang at the moment. Anyone who has switched from the GT350 to the R knows the cars are different, and even modifications to a GT350 wont necessarily get you there without some financial investment. The limited production, factory aero, and magazine reviews make the R a car of obsession and desire. It’s performance is renowned and envied by other car enthusiasts across the board. If you have a GT350R because you enjoy analog driving input from a manual I do not think selling your current car for the GT500 is the best move. The 500 is amazing, but not such a different feeling than what you have. The control and linear power application built into the GT500 because of the A7 still makes it feel similar to what the GT350R does with the manual. Words do not quite describe the satisfaction of when you heel-toe downshift into the apex, but also wont be enough to wash away the feeling of getting passed by a GT500 right after you hit the straightaway. Getting a slightly used base GT500 to mod how you want would be my advice for R owners. Buying both would be ideal if you got it like that, or if you are mentally ready to let the third pedal go.

Complicated-Calculus-Article-13-of-17.jpg
Complicated-Calculus-Article-14-of-17.jpg
Complicated-Calculus-Article-15-of-17.jpg

If you have a GT350 or other built Mustang though......This GT500 is hella hella fast like VTEC duuu, and you probably wont beat it. Try to build your own and it will likely cost you more with little to be gained in resale. The GT500 is hungry, and equipped with a proper driver and sticky tire it will eat most cars at any event. I can almost guarantee if you best the GT500 in any arena with equal tire compound you probably beat the driver, and not the car. If you did beat the car, chances are you had to give up so much utility in every other arena that the GT500 still wins at being more versatile. Built or bought. Driver skill or the car. Perhaps none of it matters if you are winning. If you own any other variant of performance Mustang short of the R and have the financial ability to afford a GT500, I would be selling my baseball card collection, cancelling the built motor, selling all my spare parts, and calling MSRP dealerships until my fingers bled. First startup and WOT pull will leave you with no regrets.

Complicated-Calculus-Article-16-of-17.jpg
Complicated-Calculus-Article-17-of-17.jpg
Sponsored

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
I really appreciate your post and opinions
This is my exact internal battle except I dont already own the R.
My constant internal struggle is if the extra 30k for the GT500 is worth it when comparing it to the GT350R?
I also really like how rare Rs are and will be.
When I went to Maple Grove last year there was only 1 350R, and it was the one I drove in. But there were 50 or more 2013/2014 GT500s.
I know both cars would give me the thrilling ride that I want but I also know I can drive to a dealer today and have an R of my choosing.
As for the GT500, I am in this constant hold pattern of waiting and wishful thinking and no communication from my dealer.
Anyways my rant aside, thanks for the postvand your view on the car.

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
Is it just me or does the GT500 have slightly higher ground clearance than the 350?

Would be welcome news for me if so.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Very good write and read. I ti struggle with this question. I do not have a R as I felt I will not be at the track enough to warrant it. This ended up being true. I do not even go to the strip now, as well. I may go every now and again, but that is more because I do not have a car to setup to do it.

So the question for me is, do I need a GT500 ? If I was to do it, I would most likely buy the base. The CFTP is beautiful, but again for the same reason I dd not buy a R it would apply to this purchase as well. But if I am buying this just so I can do a course and perhaps hit the strip more, should I ? I can easily take my 65 out and get the 1/4 thing done. She needs some paint, and pieces replace from the rust, but mechanically she is very sound. Also at one point she was built for the strip. built C4, built 351W, ladder bars on a true Ford 9inch rear. Yeah, put that money into a body job for her and that should quell all of my 1/4 woes.

I could also just sell the 65, and maybe send my GT350 to FatHouse. Sure its costs more, but man do those guys know turbos and GT350's.

In the end, it comes down to these types of decisions. I do not daily my GT350, so the same would be for a GT500. I did not daily my last GT500. I mean you can only drive one car at a time. So is it worth moving to a GT500 ? Would I drive it more ? Would I race it more ? Or is it a "Look at my Shelby moment at C&C or any other show....Here in the S. Fl, that's not really a thing with Lambo's Ferrari's and any other high value high dollar vehicles on the streets like a Hyundai. So Hmmm...why ?

Decisions Decisions Decisions.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Although many would think my situation is easy, however it is not. HR361 has been and is one hell of a car. However the practicality of 3 Rs just isnt there. Sell the base R? No..... Sell my AG R? No......

With no sense in keeping all of them, the decision seems so simple, but it is not.

How can I possibly pass up a trade in of 62K on a car that I have enjoyed for about 2.5 years and essentially getting nearly all the price of the car at purchase (after tax offset)?

As much as I love the car, it is a no brainer. Since the early days, I have always said that the 500 will be the next evolution of the 350. It has done that.

It seems to me that the third pedal crowd takes that position because they dont want to fork out the $$ for an expensive mustang. As much as I enjoy rowing the gears myself, I am happy to receive the 500 and all the benefits a DCT has to offer.

To me, it's a no brainer.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
Outside of Tom who has 3 GT350Rs I don't see the reason to sell a GT350R to get a GT500. Just wait a little longer to put the money together to where you can have both. I wasn't fortunate enough to get a GT350R back in 2015 when I ordered my GT350, I have the tech pack version that is the least coveted of any of the GT350s but I am keeping it and buying the new GT500. I knew that the GT500 would return so I bought my GT350 free and clear and started saving for the day that the GT500 would return. In the end the GT500 came out more expensive than I expected but it still isn't worth me giving up my GT350 to make buying the GT500 easier. It will still be fun for me to drive the GT350 and row gears and listen to the howl of the engine at 8000 rpm.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Keep the R and get a GT500.

IMO that is the best solution, one is a manual, NA, lighter car. The other is a dct, power house, straight line bruiser. Sure the GT500 can do a fast lap or two, but we really havent seen how these cars will do in a track day. Michelins are expensive, and the weight of the gt500 plus those massive brakes means this car will be going through tires.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
[QUOTE="Tomster, post: 2702504, member: 21800”]
It seems to me that the third pedal crowd takes that position because they dont want to fork out the $$ for an expensive mustang. As much as I enjoy rowing the gears myself, I am happy to receive the 500 and all the benefits a DCT has to offer.

To me, it's a no brainer.
Exactly the opposite for me and I’m in my mid 40s. Before the gt350, I had all VWs and Audis with a bmw thrown in. I am not a fan of DCT/dsg no matter how capable and only sort of like the pdk in the GT3. I’m gonna roll a stick until my leg hurts or they stop making them. My latest dilemma WOULD have been TT my GT350 or buy a GT500... if it was offered in manual. I’m not even looking at the C8 because no manual.[/QUOTE]

I'm exactly the same. I owned a DSG VW GTI for a year and quickly sold it for a manual GTI. Automatic is not for me no matter how good it is. Manual for life!

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Is it just me or does the GT500 have slightly higher ground clearance than the 350?

Would be welcome news for me if so.
My R is slightly lower than OEM due to the Ford Performance springs. I think they might be equal otherwise
Which model of signatures wheels is on that R? I want!
That is our Signature Wheel SV801. Very cool design.

Sponsored

Mkeane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I’ll be selling my R when my 500 gets closer to dealership, love the car but not in a position to have both

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm torn, the Ford Hype machine is getting to me, making me emotionally "want" one.

BUT. I don't know that trading the GT350 for it won't come with regret afterwards. I LOVE being engaged, I LOVE shifting, I LOVE trying to master heel toe, I love 8200 RPM, I love the sound of the FP crank.

BUT, I used to love the drag race before "clutch protection" ruined that for me. This car might be fun to drag race, but again, no mastery of banging gears required. AND, if it's really torque limited in first and second, there may be frustration trying to go quicker than it wants you to.

I really need Ford to give me an undo button at purchase, so I can try it out awhile and decide if getting rid of the GT350 for it was a mistake.

I think having a GT850, however tempting, is just not a wise use of resources for me.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I really need Ford to give me an undo button at purchase
JT: That was darn funny and, "if only." Worse, some of our fellow members who go elsewhere may not even get deposits back. To me, that's criminal but then, I'm not a store owner and have no idea what it looks like from that side of the fence.

Still, dang funny, man.

"Uh, excuse me, Harold, but I need to use the UnDo button method on the Shelby...you know, use it for a week and then decide...think that'll be OK?" <still grinning>

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You mean like the easy button? I brought one of those with me for my OE when I checked out as a 747 captain. The line check airman didn't see the humor in it.

20191101_090717.jpeg

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
I know it is not practical to keep the 350 and buy the GT500. Heck neither car is practical if you only have one of them. I am going with both. If I run into a financial emergency I can easily sell one or both of the cars.
Sponsored