Sponsored

Billy Johnson Reaches 139 MPH at Vegas Speedway

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Does the GT500 use the same TVS 2.65L blower found on the Ford Performance and Roush kit for the Mustang GT? Or at least a derivative of that blower? The potential horsepower on the 5.0L GT is similar to the quoted horsepower on the 5.2L GT500.
Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
are roush ones inverted? its the same eaton 2.65 body and rotors, but i know the gt500s is upside down for fitment

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It makes sense to have the media try out the car on a smaller track. You don't want to end up with a crash or something. Give the media a taste, but keep them safe.

I'm sure it won't be long we will see what the car does with a pro driver on a larger track.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Granted, it s a short track. What makes me laugh is the number thrown out there. 139, lol.

Everyone knows Billy is a world class driver and I'd be honored to meet him one day.... I'm a fan. But honestly it isn't headline news that Billy Johnson reached 139 mph in a GT500 at las Las Vegas. The whole Vegas venue thing leaves me with mixed feelings. I think the car is a VIR or daytona machine, not some short track PR dog an pony show.
Yeah Billy personally told me that this thing would not exactly be something to choose for autocross (duh). It's a CoTA, Road Atlanta, VIR, Road America kind of car.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
LOL at people thinking this is the same as the Roush 2650 blower.........The Roush one is junk and the IC is tiny.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah Billy personally told me that this thing would not exactly be something to choose for autocross (duh). It's a CoTA, Road Atlanta, VIR, Road America kind of car.
It's a GT3 machinary or a track day enthusiasts equivalent so it requires big tracks like the ones in the list but this around CoTA will be insane probably around the 2:20 or even less mark.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
LOL at people thinking this is the same as the Roush 2650 blower.........The Roush one is junk and the IC is tiny.
It was just a question because looking at the general spec sheet they both are 2.65L blowers. Thanks to others that clarified.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's a GT3 machinary or a track day enthusiasts equivalent so it requires big tracks like the ones in the list but this around CoTA will be insane probably around the 2:20 or even less mark.
Yes, I feel it would be a sub 2:00 car in capable hands at the rolex in daytona

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
It was just a question because looking at the general spec sheet they both are 2.65L blowers. Thanks to others that clarified.
Are u implying Eaton doesnt make both and the aftermarkets dont have different cases?

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Meh, Put that bitch on the 1.5 mile oval and see what it can do.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Among other things. A venue with close proximity to an airport, infrastructure, as well as familiarity. However, I would suspect that there is a reason they turned off the drag time board and didn't allow video in the car outside of controlled circumstances. So, was the vegas press release a success? Yes, they pulled it off. The media loves the car..... as they should, Ford engineers had a lot of time to develop it and get it right. Now as for the vegas circus, I still will insist that it wasn't the best venue to demonstrate the performance capabilities of the car. Plain and simple. There are better strips and tracks to do that. However in the name of all of the above, it wound up in Vegas with a bunch of press (amateur hour) who were not able to realize the true potential of the car.

Say it ain't so, Joe.
Who cares where the GT500 was initially launched as most everyone knows that Las Vegas is not the optimum drag race or road track in America based on numerous factors including possible head winds, cool temperatures, increased Torque/HP due to cool temperatures, cold tires, cold track, higher than normal altitude and launch issues predicated around line lock and the new 7 speed DCT transmission.

Does it really matter if a number of press and/or some inexperienced enthusiasts get their amateur hour with the launch of the GT500 prior to getting into proper and qualified hands along with being driven on a much more trackable drag strip and road course location somewhere else in America?

The bottom line is the true performance potential of the new GT500 will come through in due course and for those that cannot wait for the true performance indicators after all of this time in order to realize the real performance potential of the new GT500 then I really don't know what to say.:frown:

:sunglasses:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Who cares where the GT500 was initially launched as most everyone knows that Las Vegas is not the optimum drag race or road track in America based on numerous factors including possible head winds, cool temperatures, increased Torque/HP due to cool temperatures, cold tires, cold track, higher than normal altitude and launch issues predicated around line lock and the new 7 speed DCT transmission.

Does it really matter if a number of press and/or some inexperienced enthusiasts get their amateur hour with the launch of the GT500 prior to getting into proper and qualified hands along with being driven on a much more trackable drag strip and road course location somewhere else in America?

The bottom line is the true performance potential of the new GT500 will come through in due course and for those that cannot wait for the true performance indicators after all of this time in order to realize the real performance potential of the new GT500 then I really don't know what to say.:frown:

:sunglasses:
Who cares? Wow. I do. All eyes were on the event and the performance delivered. They turned off the time board when the numbers were initially leaked. Furthermore, no filming inside the car unless specifically permitted? Hmm.

Does it really matter? Well the press has to evaluate the car. Why does that have to be on rollout? Why not establish solid numbers first? However back to evaluation and initial impressions, it worked out, didn't it?

Bottom line (from above) is that nobody knows what the car can do. Yes it will all come out over time, but haven't we waited long enough? I would have released benchmark numbers first and then let the press evaluate the car.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Top Gears review is certainly interesting. A snippet:

"Impressed is not the right word. Staggered is more like it. When I drove the Chevy ZL1 1LE, I thought it was going to take some beating. On this first impression, the GT500 crushes it flat. I can also see that, on non aero-sensitive tracks, that it’d probably have the measure of the vaunted Viper ACR, too. But the really impressive thing is that it can do all of this AND then cruise home – or to the other side of the country – in church-like silence and lounge comfort"

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ford/52-v8-gt500-2dr/first-drive

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Meh, Put that bitch on the 1.5 mile oval and see what it can do.
Why? Useless performance evaluation. No one cares about oval performance. Even the aero isn't suited for that, but for road course.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Who cares? Wow. I do. All eyes were on the event and the performance delivered. They turned off the time board when the numbers were initially leaked. Furthermore, no filming inside the car unless specifically permitted? Hmm.

Does it really matter? Well the press has to evaluate the car. Why does that have to be on rollout? Why not establish solid numbers first? However back to evaluation and initial impressions, it worked out, didn't it?

Bottom line (from above) is that nobody knows what the car can do. Yes it will all come out over time, but haven't we waited long enough? I would have released benchmark numbers first and then let the press evaluate the car.
Obviously we have a difference of opinion but do appreciate your comments and concerns.

I think that it was pretty cool that Ford and Ford Performance decided to let the press and a chosen few Mustang enthusiasts evaluate the new GT500 first prior to establishing and releasing some serious benchmark numbers prior to this car getting into some well qualified hands.

With that being the case I am really looking forward to seeing some serious and improved benchmark numbers over the next month or so from some very qualified drivers and some much improved track conditions and can't wait for those new benchmark numbers to roll in!

:like::like:
Sponsored