Sponsored

Actual warranty denials due to tuning.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
I'd like to know if any members have actually been denied warranty service or had their warranty cancelled due to simple tuning? I am assuming the vehicle was returned to stock prior to service by dealer. Has this actually happened to any members?
Sponsored

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I'd like to know if any members have actually been denied warranty service or had their warranty cancelled due to simple tuning? I am assuming the vehicle was returned to stock prior to service by dealer. Has this actually happened to any members?
Not sure, but having some dealership experience, I'd say a tune outside of stock parameters could be a basis for warranty denial if the problem relates to engine performance. I may be incorrect, but I think Ford can also determine if another tune has been used even though you've returned it to stock. It's a slippery slope for sure.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Not sure, but having some dealership experience, I'd say a tune outside of stock parameters could be a basis for warranty denial if the problem relates to engine performance. I may be incorrect, but I think Ford can also determine if another tune has been used even though you've returned it to stock. It's a slippery slope for sure.
Thats exactly what I've seen. The other car manufacturers also for some time now have been able to tell if you have/had a tune and even if you take it out. And more than not will void your car warranty when they find you have/had a tune.

OP
OP
newmoon

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
I understand this could happen. I'd like to know if it has.

Voodoo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2019 GT350 & 2023 Ford Raptor
Good question! I would be curious to know if anyone has actually been denied for more minor engine modifications.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
People have posted a couple times about denials because of tunes. I would assume if you run a tune your engine warranty is gone.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
If you have to ask, don't do it. What are you going to do with that extra few rwhp? All it takes for you to get a big ass headache is for Ford to say the words: Warranty voided.

Have fun proving them wrong now. Don't spill anything about the Magnusson-Moss act either, because you'll still have to fight Ford on what they deemed caused the failure.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
There is a Ford TSB on tuning that tells dealers what to look for and which failures are usually tune related. It says outright that if a failure was caused by a tune, warranty is denied.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I would assume if you run a tune your engine warranty is gone.
Gone? No. Scrutinized? Yes. If you blow a ringland, sure yeah you're probably SOL. However if say the serpentine tensioner fails or the water pump prematurely fails, then you'll be fine.

Again, it DEPENDS.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Gone? No. Scrutinized? Yes. If you blow a ringland, sure yeah you're probably SOL. However if say the serpentine tensioner fails or the water pump prematurely fails, then you'll be fine.

Again, it DEPENDS.
I would "assume" its gone. Sure you might get lucky but always better to plan worse case and be surprised.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Wasn't there someone here with a ruby red 350 that was rebuilding his engine due to a warranty denial? or was that because he was OUT of warranty?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There have been warranty denials posted on this site - can’t recall the specifics or model platform, but there have been several since the inception of the S550.

Fact:
An aftermarket Tune not authorized by Ford and one that is not offered through Ford Performance will void certain aspects of the Ford new car warranty.

To be as crystal clear as possible - the attached is directly from Ford - interpret it as you wish, but pay very close attention to not only how the main body is worded, but also the 3rd bullet in the 1st section, which equates to “tuning”.

Everyone can reference back to the M&M Act, but when reading the attached, Ford’s Legal Team has worded their position in such a way that if a tune exists - you’ve already tampered with the systems, which in effect voids the warranty.

Modifying comes with risks - if you have the pockets to play, you have the pockets to pay IF the mod has crossed the fine lines noted in their warranty provisions.
CED8837A-7EE4-4148-8795-BB3609D524D3.jpeg
5D4EEAD5-A515-4421-884E-B7B50E59B083.jpeg

Do some folks get lucky and their vehicle is repaired under warranty even with mods or tunes? Sure, it’s happened. Warranty approval is all dependent on the Dealership, the Service Center and most importantly IF Ford Corp. requests additional information or data from the vehicle to authorize a major component replacement.

Ford can deny whole or parts of the Warrant. If that happens, it goes under the VIN and is logged in OASIS. So that means if the car is taken to ANY Ford Service Center, they will instantly be aware of any warranty denials.

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Wasn't there someone here with a ruby red 350 that was rebuilding his engine due to a warranty denial? or was that because he was OUT of warranty?
No, that's just because he's a fool glutton for punishment :)

On a serious note, mine was more a build than a rebuild. Engine was good when taken down, I just went overboard creating the ultimate racing motor.
Sponsored