Sponsored

2019 ZL1 is 3,883 pounds--I was surprised today..........

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Of course it’s a four seat platform.

@PP0001 is just asking you if your buying a 2020 or 2021 GT500.

Respect your elders and please answer the question.

Thanks.
Not what he asked. Nor was it any part of the discussion. But thanks for playing!
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Interesting things popping up with the preproduction c8 Chevy lent to motor trend (but only for the day. Had to be back at Chevy every night).

guess we still have to wait to see what MT says the actual c8 is like - you know, whenever they get a real production model with production specs.

so... back to the zl1 and how light it is.
Or is the zl1 irrelevant now?

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's always been easy to write off the Corvette as producing big numbers with all the grace of 12-pound sledge. No more. If you're willing to give up a little bit of steering feel and learn to work around the brake pedal, you'll find far more car to love in the Corvette. Performance per dollar used to be an excuse to brush away the Corvette's shortcomings. Now, it's a virtue. Exotic and attainable, it finally punches above its weight class in every category, not just one.
Just needs some wider front tires, possibly a less stiff front bar.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Ford may be dragging it's ass on getting out info about the GT500 but it may have the smarter move than Chevy letting magazines test pre-production C8's.

Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Ford may be dragging it's ass on getting out info about the GT500 but it may have the smarter move than Chevy letting magazines test pre-production C8's.
Unless you think the S550 chassis is all of a sudden going to be compared to Porsches its already too late GMs already rained on that parade.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Unless you think the S550 chassis is all of a sudden going to be compared to Porsches its already too late GMs already rained on that parade.
Exactly, they arent in the same league, never have been, never will be. The mid engine change just increased that distance.

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Not really when you consider one of those pre-production C8's just beat the brand new 2020 Porsche 911 in Motortrend's comparison.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Le sigh............

Meanwhile I keep reading how a 67k C8 will do everything the 88k C8 does, but yet was never tested. Before I have to read all about what makes a LT3 faster than a LT1 package...or rather what not makes it faster......Why do they not just test this 67k C8 and be done ?

Besides the reviews are not as glowing as some are making them. Reading more and more about viability being a issue....
I think this should be easy enough, but we’ll see....

Engine in the $88k Stingray Z51: 495 hp LT2 Engine in the $67k Stingray Z51: 495 hp LT2
Trans in the $88k Stingray Z51: Tremec 8DCT Trans in the $67k Stingray Z51: Tremec 8DCT
Suspension pkg in the $88k Stingray Z51: Z51 + MagnaRide Suspension pkg in $67k Stingray Z51: Z51 + MagnaRide

Why does the $88k Stingray Z51 cost $21k more than the $67k Stingray Z51?: Because Chevrolet chose to load it up with creature comfort options because they want R&T, C&D, and MT to offer their opinions on that content too. The $88K car had the curb lift feature (doesn’t make it go faster), HUD (doesn’t make it got faster), PDR (doesn’t make it go faster), Premium Audio (doesn’t make it go faster), mid-level seats (doesn’t make it go faster), premium leather interior (doesn’t make it go faster). Sensing a trend here? The things that roll the price up are NOT the things that would make an $88k car any faster than a $67k car. The things that contribute to the car being fast and handling well are totally identical, whether the car cost $67k or $88k.

Let’s try this a different way... A GT500 with Tech Pack and vinyl stripes stickers at $74,300. A GT500 with Tech Pack, painted on stripes and exposed carbon fiber instrument panel stickers at $83,300. Which one is faster?
Maybe it sounds better when Car & Driver says it.....

We have few reservations about the new Stingray's interior, though. Our car, a well-equipped example with the $11,950 3LT package, boasted supple, tautly sewn leather on most of its interior surfaces, plus extras such as the $1500 carbon-fiber trim. You sit farther forward compared with the seating position in the C7, though the view over the deep instrument panel isn't as panoramic as it is in some other mid-engine cars. The wall-like cabin divider that houses the climate controls looks obtrusive but isn't. The odd squared-off steering wheel is, surprisingly, as easy to use as a circular one, and it provides a clear view of the programmable digital gauge cluster. The steering-column stalks are a bit of a reach, and the glare on the rear glass sometimes hides what's behind you. The electronic rearview mirror camera that's standard on 2LT and 3LT trims solves this problem, though; it provides an unobstructed view of anything behind you. Overall, this is by far the best Corvette interior ever.

The C8 also is the most impressive Corvette ever. Deleting all the fancy gear on our test car—it had all manner of extras that didn't make it drive better, including a $1495 front-end lift mechanism to clear steep driveways and $995 worth of carbon-fiber engine-compartment garnish—wouldn't change how we feel about it. But it would drop the price considerably. For a base car with the Z51 package and FE4 dampers, you're looking at only $66,890. This is nothing less than the democratization of the exotic car.

And consider this: The C8 Stingray is but the opening salvo in Chevy's supercar revolution. It's a known secret that several hotter C8s will soon follow, powered by high-revving, DOHC 32-valve flat-plane-crank V-8s starting at 600-plus horsepower and ranging up to a hybrid with nearly 1000 ponies. Those versions likely will deliver all the snarl anyone could want.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
"all of a sudden" ? The GT350 was compared to Porsches four years ago.

Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Love your enthusiasm @MartinJM but you obviously did not read what I put. I CLEARLY STATED that they should have just tested the 67k version and been done with it. Now I already know GM sent a LT3 version....I already know nothing on the LT3 version makes it faster. I said it in my statement. I was just pointing out that GM needs to give the testers a 67k version to do the tests with. It would seem to be better marketing.....the version of the C8 most will buy anyway,and compare it to the competition.

As for the rest, I am not going by C&D or MT or anyone else. I am going by people who have been in the car and OWN a C7 Z06 or ZR1 or GS. They are saying they do not like the visibility. I think that carries a little more weight than a magazine tester.

We will see if things get tweaked this late in the game, but so far the reviews seems to be a 50/50 of good and not so good.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Love your enthusiasm @MartinJM but you obviously did not read what I put. I CLEARLY STATED that they should have just tested the 67k version and been done with it. Now I already know GM sent a LT3 version....I already know nothing on the LT3 version makes it faster. I said it in my statement. I was just pointing out that GM needs to give the testers a 67k version to do the tests with. It would seem to be better marketing.....the version of the C8 most will buy anyway,and compare it to the competition.

As for the rest, I am not going by C&D or MT or anyone else. I am going by people who have been in the car and OWN a C7 Z06 or ZR1 or GS. They are saying they do not like the visibility. I think that carries a little more weight than a magazine tester.

We will see if things get tweaked this late in the game, but so far the reviews seems to be a 50/50 of good and not so good.
Just for the sake of clarity, it’s 1LT, 2LT, and 3LT for trim levels. If it begins with an “L” it’s an engine code. Blame Chevrolet for making this as confusing as possible. As for the rest, if GM only wanted them to weigh in on the performance they would have probably done as you suggest. But since the car is new from the ground up, they want them to review everything. The camera mirror, the curb lift system, the quality of the new interiors. All of that. Nothing invalidates the fact that a $67k Stingray Z51 kicks ass, and if someone wants one for $67k, they can order one for $67k. Trying to force it to be considered as only an $88k configuration is a red herring. I haven’t commented on the visibility, because I haven’t sat in one yet. Besides, I drive a Camaro, so there’s that. :cwl:

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
ninjak said:
LOL. Who cares what the previous gen owners think, this is like the trinity gt500 owners complaining about the gt350r. Lol non issue, it is what it is, a base model car already out gunning the previous gen z06.
This mid engine vette is already faster than any model gt350.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT