Status
Not open for further replies.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Not a victory lap but laughing at those who came here to proclaim Mustang was dead. Yes I take jabs at the c8 but I know it is a great car and as time goes by bigger and better versions will appear it's always that way in the automotive world. Look where the s550 started in 2015 and how it has progressed up to today.
Got it. You and I can certainly agree that Mustang is far from dead. GT350 is awesome and GT500 will likely be more awesomer.
Sponsored

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
GT350 vs C8 is a really easy decision for me. GT350 transmission is the deciding factor. (Same with GT350 vs GT500) I’ll take the GT350 any-day!
I’ve had 3 Corvettes: a 1970 LT-1, 1985 Coupe (Boring) and a 2002 ZO6 which I loved! (Lost the ZO6 in a flood) When I was looking for a new ZO6 in 2011 I got a ride In a Roush RS3. I ordered a 2012 RS3 a week later. Still have it now. 2 months ago I got the GT350, WOW in my opinion the GT350 is SPECIAL! The Roush is faster in a straight line than the GT350 and that’s about the only thing it wins in! (It’s also louder than the GT350) The GT350 has better brakes, handling, balance, steering, power to the ground and the transmission is far superior. Sometimes I toy with the idea of selling the Roush and the Hot Rod to buy a GT350R! My friends ask why would you want 2 Shelby’s? Simple! I want 2 because I can’t afford 3!
When I ordered the Shelby the dealer didn’t have an allocation for a “R”. They have a 2020 GT350R on order, Performance Blue with black stripes. It would be hard for me to sell my cars, I’ve had the Hot Rod 27 years! After driving then Shelby it has me thinking. C8 is not even a little consideration!
I don’t expect everyone to agree with me. That’s OK! For me the sound and and feel of the GT350 is intoxicating. LOVE IT! Hmmm an “R”!!!!! Decisions, decisions!

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Find me a review of the GT350 where they emphasize it "understeers like crazy." The aftermarket should not need to sort out a manufacturer's problems for it.
Show me where it says the base Vette is a Halo car that gets adm tacked on? Gt350 needed to be that good. The z51 is allowed to have inadequacies, cause its a frickin base model

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
Show me where it says the base Vette is a Halo car that gets adm tacked on? Gt350 needed to be that good. The z51 is allowed to have inadequacies, cause its a frickin base model
That doesn't have anything to do with your statement about mustangs (the GT350 in this thread) understeering. These are the two cars being compared. The Z51 is not a base car either. I doubt you will see a base C8 review for some time.

That being said, this thread is about the two vehicles in the title. If you're talking about an Ecoboost understeering to the degree that the C8 does, I'd defer to your opinion since I have no driven one. The GT350 however does not have that same issue.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I see a product opportunity. Monogrammed duffel bags that fit perfectly in the nose "trunk' and hold a 30lb bag of HomeDepot playbox sand. 3 of them should do it? Sold as "Z52 steering kit".

Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
What were they expecting from a $60,000 to $65,000 car? LOL. Here is what I got out of the test. 2.8 second 0-60, 11.1 quarter mile, 0.9 seconds faster around a track than the C7 Z51, braking is not as good as the C7, understeer, final verdict...this car sucks. So I'm confused. What currently available cars are faster than it in the quarter mile? The Redeye? Z06? ZR1? What currently available cars can beat it around a track? The Z06 and ZR1? Maybe the 1LE equipped ZL1? The Ford GT? A Ferrari? I get it that they have their disappointments. But is it possible that they expect too much from a $65,000 vehicle? Again, 0-60 in 2.8, quarter mile in 11.1, almost 1 second faster than the C7 Z51, what more do they want? I can't speak for everyone but to me this thing sounds like a phenomenal performance machine. I'm waiting to see someone get a 10.9 out of it.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They wanted a supercar to beat everything out there sorry but that c8 will be $75000 + car if then
I'll repeat. The car ran 11.1 in the quarter mile and beat the C7 Z51 by almost a second. They're disappointed because of a little understeer and because it doesn't brake as well as the outgoing Z51? That is a bit immature if you ask me.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
They wanted a supercar to beat everything out there sorry but that c8 will be $75000 + car if then
I wish people showed the same criticism to Ford products. We would have had better all around performance for the money. Unfortunately, being slow doesn't deserve criticism as long as you love what you are driving and hearing.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I wish people showed the same criticism to Ford products.
You haven't read anything in this forum or looked at any magazines. Motor trend is the worst of the magazine it regularly crucifies Ford products

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm just saying that for $65,000 you get a low 11 sec Corvette that will probably do high 10s in the right hands. And it beat the previous version by 1 second. If the understeer was a problem that prohibited the performance or if it caused them to do a terrible lap time then I can see the criticism. But it beat the last Z51 by 1 second. And based on the comments it seems that they were just annoyed with the understeer if anything. Or it just made them have to approach the track and corners differently. Or they were mad because they couldn't fishtail out of the corners or something. So I will ask again, what were they expecting? Were they expecting a mid engine Vette to drive exactly like the front engine Vette being replaced? Did the braking prevent them from beating the C7 Z51? Did they go plowing off the track? I can't figure what they were this upset about? Should it have done a 10.7 at 135 MPH and beaten a $250+ Supercar around a track for $65,000?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'm just saying that for $65,000 you get a low 11 sec Corvette that will probably do high 10s in the right hands. And it beat the previous version by 1 second. If the understeer was a problem that prohibited the performance or if it caused them to do a terrible lap time then I can see the criticism. But it beat the last Z51 by 1 second. And based on the comments it seems that they were just annoyed with the understeer if anything. Or it just made them have to approach the track and corners differently. Or they were mad because they couldn't fishtail out of the corners or something. So I will ask again, what were they expecting? Were they expecting a mid engine Vette to drive exactly like the front engine Vette being replaced? Did the braking prevent them from beating the C7 Z51? Did they go plowing off the track? I can't figure what they were this upset about? Should it have done a 10.7 at 135 MPH and beaten a $250+ Supercar around a track for $65,000?
A LOT of corvette folks pissed about that second...they think it should perform much better. Their thoughts are, the C8 has bigger, wider tires with a superior compound.

Here is a test showing the PS4S shaving 1.4 seconds off a lap time on a 1.6 mile course...

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/m2/2017/2017-bmw-m2-review-long-term-update-4/

Here is the thread with claims about 1 second + time reduction by simply swapping from the mpss to the ps4s tires on their C7s....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...-full-second-faster-than-c7-c-d-review-7.html

From the way it sounds, the C7 is superior in the corners and the C8 can flat out get the traction down when the happy pedal is pressed. This powering out of the corner advantage is huge.

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
There is a lot of back and forth here about the performance of the C8 now that some numbers are out. I do not get the nay sayers no matter how you slice it nothing is going to come close to this care for 65K. And the question in this thread is not how it compares to a C7 or anything else. It is how does it compare to a 350 and from what it looks like it will crush it as originally stated.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There is a lot of back and forth here about the performance of the C8 now that some numbers are out. I do not get the nay sayers no matter how you slice it nothing is going to come close to this care for 65K. And the question in this thread is not how it compares to a C7 or anything else. It is how does it compare to a 350 and from what it looks like it will crush it as originally stated.
It will definitely hit 0-60 faster, be quieter inside and shift faster with that automatic transmission.

I would 100% buy a C7 Z51 with a manual transmission before I'd buy a base C8. IMO the C8 is going away from being a fun sports car and becoming more of a car for older guys to take to cars and coffee or the golf course.

But for me the GT350 is a much better buy than either and most car guys will enjoy it a lot more than the C8. Especially if you have the guts to take your car to the road course. Crushed? I don't think so.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.