Welp here's a new LOUD ticking sound.

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
Well ladies and gentlemen, looks like another one might bite the dust here. This past weekend it started making this really loud ticking sound. (Different from the typewritter tick, this ones ones really consistant on timing).

I had the 2k rpm rattle before this and took it to the dealership about 8 months ago and they did nothing about it for the 2 months they had it, before i got feed up and asked for my car back. I should have just went through buy back then.

Now i have this and am taking it to another dealership tomorrow. Anyone got any guesses whats going on?
Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Maybe bad fuel pump? Why did they have your car so long for the 2k rattle? From what I have seen, it is not an issue, at least what most people describe as a rattle.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
The rhythmic squeak/knock sound is usually a spun bearing but it wouldn't be idling so smoothly if that was the case. I'd do an oil change asap to see if there's any glitter. If it is a spun bearing, you'll see it right away. Also cut the oil filter open.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The rhythmic squeak/knock sound is usually a spun bearing but it wouldn't be idling so smoothly if that was the case. I'd do an oil change asap to see if there's any glitter. If it is a spun bearing, you'll see it right away. Also cut the oil filter open.
Doubt it is a bad bearing (although it does have a bearing "squeak" sound), you will almost always have bad idle and other associated shakes/vibrations. That sound to me is something pump or air related. Maybe loose exhaust.

OP
OP
LastNightsPants

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
Maybe bad fuel pump? Why did they have your car so long for the 2k rattle? From what I have seen, it is not an issue, at least what most people describe as a rattle.
They said they were trying to bring some engineer down from the factory to look at it but it was always "well man where just still waiting to hear back from the factory" and I just said screw it at that point. I was seeing that other people said the 2k rattle is probably nothing, some people saying its a big deal, and just told my self well atleast i got it documented in case something goes wrong later.

I'm not sure if this is related to that or not, but still frustrated.

I'll make sure they check the oil for flakes, but I did have the oil changed like 2k miles ago.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
They said they were trying to bring some engineer down from the factory to look at it but it was always "well man where just still waiting to hear back from the factory" and I just said screw it at that point. I was seeing that other people said the 2k rattle is probably nothing, some people saying its a big deal, and just told my self well atleast i got it documented in case something goes wrong later.

I'm not sure if this is related to that or not, but still frustrated.

I'll make sure they check the oil for flakes, but I did have the oil changed like 2k miles ago.
There is no reason they should have your car for 2 months unless they are rebuilding your engine. I would have only given them a week and told them to let me know when the guy will be there and I will bring my car over.

Have you checked the oil level? How many miles on the car? Any mods? When I took out the sound tube the "rattle" which was hard to hear anyway became almost inaudible. You have to know exactly what it sounds like and listen very carefully. My two buddies 18's are the same with one being an auto if they makes a difference. Anyway, I hope you find some success at the dealer....maybe take it to a different one that may not give you the runaround.

OP
OP
LastNightsPants

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
There is no reason they should have your car for 2 months unless they are rebuilding your engine. I would have only given them a week and told them to let me know when the guy will be there and I will bring my car over.

Have you checked the oil level? How many miles on the car? Any mods? When I took out the sound tube the "rattle" which was hard to hear anyway became almost inaudible. You have to know exactly what it sounds like and listen very carefully. My two buddies 18's are the same with one being an auto if they makes a difference. Anyway, I hope you find some success at the dealer....maybe take it to a different one that may not give you the runaround.
Ya i'm taking it to a different dealer this time. I haven't checked the oil level. I have had a few mods, but none that should matter. IRS Subframe braces and an oil catch can.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
questionable bearing on an accessory or idle pulley. check torque on alternator and AC compressor mounting bolts. check serpentine belt for 'bouncing'. Give a short shot of WD40 to each pulley one at a time and wait 20 seconds before moving to next.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Me, I'd take a stethoscope or a piece of heater hose works in a pinch - and hold it to your ear and see if you can nail down where it's coming from. Sound can play tricks on you. Sounds like something on the belt drive to me.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It happens above idle to from what i can tell, just needs to warm up a bit
BTW, I had added Ceratec to subdue the typewriter tick, and it also made this noise go away, and hasn't been back. I think it's just noise from the cam lobe driving the pump.
I'd bet if you use just 50ml of Ceratec, that pump noise would go down significantly.

I'm not saying Ceratec is a cure, but these engines are just noisy to begin with. However, these new super lubes on the market actually do help with noises that usually aren't really causing any harm to begin with. It just smoothes out the engine a little more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LastNightsPants

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
Update from the Dealer.

They told me there's defiantly a noise coming from inside the engine so they will need to take it apart to look at it further. Said there's a bit of a line for the engine tech guy to look at so its gonna be about two weeks until they can get to it.
Honestly its getting cold here in SE Michigan and usually just get ready to winterize it at about this time so that's fine, but I'm curious to see what they find.

Also FYI for those looking at there own issues and comparing them to mine, I had the 2k rattle but not the Typewriter tick. Atleast I don't think I did, I might of herd it once on a cold day but never really heard it again. I also have no idea if my current issue is related to the 2k rattle so i wouldn't link them, especially since they don't really happen in the same conditions and they sound completely different.

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
Most 18 F150s have that noise. Its the high pressure direct injection pump. Normal or not? Ford says it is normal. I would expect that same noise from an 18 Mustang. I don't like it in my F150, sounds bad, but so far no problems.

OP
OP
LastNightsPants

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
Most 18 F150s have that noise. Its the high pressure direct injection pump. Normal or not? Ford says it is normal. I would expect that same noise from an 18 Mustang. I don't like it in my F150, sounds bad, but so far no problems.
That really sucks if it is. There is no way I would be cool with my mustang normally sounding like that... Half the reason I bought the car over its competition was for how it sounds.
Sponsored