Sponsored

GT 350 just got crushed by the C8

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
The fpc is cool but pale in comparison to the FI Predator.

The 500 is built to handle like no tomorrow - hardly an evolution of the s197 version.
The DCT ensures it can actually use its power effectively as well.

Ford has taken the mustang and actually fulfilled it’s potential to a large degree with the 500.

There are really only three things they could have done more:

1) twin turbos.
2) all wheel drive
3) further lightweighting

the 500 is everything the 350 wants to be when it grows up.

as far as the people who like a stick shift, they won’t like s as nothing with auto, so that doesn’t affect which car is actually more special.

the 350 is the hottest NA American Pony Car.
But anyone who drives the 500 and 350 back to back in search of the best performance will choose the 500.
What mee as led a car special is unique to each person of course. But Ford seems to have done a great job at ticking that box for the majority of people.
Sounds like you've driven GT500 (had to with all you've written). How was it ? Any more about how it drives ?

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
The fpc is cool but pale in comparison to the FI Predator.

The 500 is built to handle like no tomorrow - hardly an evolution of the s197 version.
The GT350 is unique due to its FPC. The GT500 is just another supercharged pony car, it's been done before. Although not quite drug out this long.

350 / 500 are the same platform - adding 200lbs to the nose of a car doesn't help it handle better.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Sounds like you've driven GT500 (had to with all you've written). How was it ? Any more about how it drives ?
LOL. Whatever that is...

more like I’ve paid attention to those who have and taken an aggregate of that, plus video footage, and anything that’s been publicly revealed up to this point.

but when I drive it, I’ll be sure to let you know how the seats smell.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
LOL. Whatever that is...

more like I’ve paid attention to those who have and taken an aggregate of that, plus video footage, and anything that’s been publicly revealed up to this point.

I couldnt justify buying a GT500 when the Z06 is right around the corner, of course I wont be buying either...
I'm not that loaded, lololol

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The GT350 is unique due to its FPC. The GT500 is just another supercharged pony car, it's been done before. Although not quite drug out this long.

350 / 500 are the same platform - adding 200lbs to the nose of a car doesn't help it handle better.
the 350 has an FPC. that’s really cool. But that’s it.

the 500 has 760 hp supercharged engine. Awesome and occupying rare air, but not mythical as far as engines go.

But... the 500 is unique among pony cars with it’s DCT. That is the FPC of the 500. It is a mythical transmission. So the unique special thing has just moved down the driveline.

but then, also has a wider track than any other Mustang. Unique.

the brakes are by far the largest of any pony car and are some of the biggest on any vehicle in the world.

I won’t even get into suspension, but if you think the car is just a 350 with “200 lbs added to the front...” and supposed to handle worse due to that, you haven’t been paying attention.

you take the aggregate and look at the car. The 500 is more special as the 350, which is saying something as the 350 is legendary.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I couldnt justify buying a GT500 when the Z06 is right around the corner, of course I wont be buying either...
I'm not that loaded, lololol
the z06 will be plenty more expensive. Just like the base c8 our prices the 500 when tested.

So you actually could justify the 500.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
the z06 will be plenty more expensive. Just like the base c8 our prices the 500 when tested.

So you actually could justify the 500.
Most guys will order a 100+ Z06, and a carbon GT500 will around there too, maybe more with the whore pricing?
I'll take the Z06

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
But... the 500 is unique among pony cars with it’s DCT. That is the FPC of the 500. It is a mythical transmission. So the unique special thing has just moved down the driveline.

the brakes are by far the largest of any pony car and are some of the biggest on any vehicle in the world.

I won’t even get into suspension, but if you think the car is just a 350 with “200 lbs added to the front...” and supposed to handle worse due to that, you haven’t been paying attention.

you take the aggregate and look at the car. The 500 is more special as the 350, which is saying something as the 350 is legendary.
'unique' among pony cars, sure. But many, many vehicles come with a DCT and have for years. Wide track, big brakes.. just standard performance model stuff. Suspension? It's just mag ride. My $45k 1LE has that. Also has an ELSD which Ford hasn't seemed to figure out yet. GM put DSSV dampers on the ZLE.. far more special than mag ride.

Don't get me wrong, I think the GT500 is cool. But it's not some radical reimagining of the pony car. This release has been drug out so long that it's just losing its shine. GM officially announced the C8 after the GT500, and we already have official magazine tests out.

Just like the base c8 our prices the 500 when tested
Stop acting like 88k is the base msrp now just because that happens to be the model that GM had for testing.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
LOL. Whatever that is...

Please. Until then, feel free to entertain more people with posts like those.

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
'unique' among pony cars, sure. But many, many vehicles come with a DCT and have for years. Wide track, big brakes.. just standard performance model stuff. Suspension? It's just mag ride. My $45k 1LE has that. Also has an ELSD which Ford hasn't seemed to figure out yet. GM put DSSV dampers on the ZLE.. far more special than mag ride.

Don't get me wrong, I think the GT500 is cool. But it's not some radical reimagining of the pony car. This release has been drug out so long that it's just losing its shine. GM officially announced the C8 after the GT500, and we already have official magazine tests out.

Stop acting like 88k is the base msrp now just because that happens to be the model that GM had for testing.
Ohh they know the 88k is not the base msrp. They are just trying to find something to bash the car. You are in a mustang forum. By the way when journalists start testing the GT500, those cars most likely will be loaded versions too. I m more worried about the loaded GT500 weight that they will be testing. 4225 lbs base and most likely 4300+ lbs loaded.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
the 350 has an FPC. that’s really cool. But that’s it.

the 500 has 760 hp supercharged engine. Awesome and occupying rare air, but not mythical as far as engines go.

Like I said, it's an evolution of the S197 GT500. Essentially.

Everyone knows even the S550 chassis is an evolution of the S197. The only thing groundbreaking with the new iteration is the DCT, and that's just in the ponycar world. Oh, and maybe the fact that it won't heat soak after one long pull on a hot day (owned one, been there). Oops, guess that bit sort of counts as evolution too.....

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Like I said, it's an evolution of the S197 GT500. Essentially.

Everyone knows even the S550 chassis is an evolution of the S197. The only thing groundbreaking with the new iteration is the DCT, and that's just in the ponycar world. Oh, and maybe the fact that it won't heat soak after one long pull on a hot day (owned one, been there). Oops, guess that bit sort of counts as evolution too.....
Some people on this forum think the S550 is "an all new platform"...that just magically kept the wheel base down to 1 10th of an inch at 107.2 like the S197

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Some people on this forum think the S550 is "an all new platform"...that just magically kept the wheel base down to 1 10th of an inch at 107.2 like the S197
Well well well, caranddriver just tested the 10 speed auto zl1 1le at the lightning lap. Lap times are pretty interesting. They were able to shave .7 seconds with the auto tranny. GT500 will have hard time beating the ZL1 1LE on a road coarse.

Lightning lap is a 4.1 mile coarse. Some lap times are as follows;

Camaro zl1 1le manual 2:45.7
Ford GT 2:45.5
Ferrari 488 GTB 2:45.1
Camaro zl1 1le auto 2:45.0
Corvette c7 zo6 2:44.6
Viper acr 2:44.2
Huracan performante 2:44.0

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Well well well, caranddriver just tested the 10 speed auto zl1 1le at the lightning lap. Lap times are pretty interesting. They were able to shave .7 seconds with the auto tranny. GT500 will have hard time beating the ZL1 1LE on a road coarse.

Lightning lap is a 4.1 mile coarse. Some lap times are as follows;

Camaro zl1 1le manual 2:45.7
Ford GT 2:45.5
Ferrari 488 GTB 2:45.1
Camaro zl1 1le auto 2:45.0
Corvette c7 zo6 2:44.6
Viper acr 2:44.2
Huracan performante 2:44.0
It will be mighty impressive if it does.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.