Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
Mild understatement. I was the guy .2 behind you. The M3 who nipped you out was Jeff Cashmore, 2 time FS champ and runner up this year. Very nice driving.
Sponsored

Schnupper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black
Mild understatement. I was the guy .2 behind you. The M3 who nipped you out was Jeff Cashmore, 2 time FS champ and runner up this year. Very nice driving.
Thanks!!! It was pretty brutal with the rain and changing conditions on each run. Was definitely a good learning experience for me. It was my first scca event, next time I'll say hi and introduce myself.

Schnupper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black
Thanks!!! It was pretty brutal with the rain and changing conditions on each run. Was definitely a good learning experience for me. It was my first scca event, next time I'll say hi and introduce myself.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I was out of town on vacation...was bummed to miss it but I've had enough wet autocross for the year already.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Following-up on my complaints about my car being an understeering pig:

Drilled front bar + stock rear bar = understeering pig = 90% of my 2019 season.

I then ran an event with stock swaybars front/rear and left completely disappointed. --> Experiment unsuccessful.

But then Krzysztof was kind enough to sell me his Strano rear swaybar and I ran an event on the middle setting and left smiling more than I have since I purchased this car. I didn't get a chance to build confidence in dive-bombing corners, but am excited for the potential this bar brings. My wheel cuts around 19 seconds and the speed I carried around 26 seconds and the big turn at 30 seconds wound have been complete failures in all my previous setups. Disclaimer: The day started at 32F, so maybe the car gets pushy when it's warm, but this has to be a step in the right direction.

So I have changed my political party from the front-bar camp to the rear-bar camp.

Anyone want to sell me an undrilled front bar so I can be more FS rule complaint?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

I then ran an event with stock swaybars front/rear and left completely disappointed. --> Experiment unsuccessful.

But then Krzysztof was kind enough to sell me his Strano rear swaybar and I ran an event on the middle setting and left smiling more than I have since I purchased this car. I didn't get a chance to build confidence in dive-bombing corners, but am excited for the potential this bar brings. My wheel cuts around 19 seconds and the speed I carried around 26 seconds and the big turn at 30 seconds wound have been complete failures in all my previous setups. Disclaimer: The day started at 32F, so maybe the car gets pushy when it's warm, but this has to be a step in the right direction.

So I have changed my political party from the front-bar camp to the rear-bar camp.

Anyone want to sell me an undrilled front bar so I can be more FS rule complaint?

Interesting. I think this may be more true for FS than in CAM, and it absolutely depends on driving style/line. Glad you found something that works better for you though!

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Well, I have to stock front bar too :) But not selling it - you can probably get it somewhat cheap from one of the part vendors. Glad the rear one is working out for you.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Regarding rules compliance with the drilled front bar in the oem hole while using a different rear bar I'm pretty sure that you could simply install short bolts with nylok nuts in the drilled holes to make it a little more difficult to quickly change settings and 99.9 % of competitors would be fine.

In any case given how hard it is to change the front bar I wouldn't be in a hurry to change it before doing a fair amount of warm weather comparison testing.

FYI with my 2015 GT PP with Koni's and my "driving style" (such as it is) all the stiffer rear bar really did was make the car harder to drive in transitions and more difficult to put power down, even with the rear even stiffer. Understeer was still a problem.

Also cold weather tends to make my cars loose. Ditto if your tires have a lot of runs/miles on them.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP

Yeah, if you dive bomb corners, the front bar setup isn't for you. It requires you to be on point with being at the right speed at the start of the corner to get out on the gas as hard as you can. It's also a setup that works exceptionally well on the larger national style courses on concrete. You literally drive the car with the throttle. It took some getting used to but the difference in time is basically non-existent. Compared Solostorm data with another 2015 driver "back in the day" who ran the rear bar. He's faster into the corner but slower at the exit, we are faster at the exit and slower at the entrance. Depends on the style of course really. Ford did a pretty good job on the bar's from the factory compared to older cars. I prefer to drive with the throttle in a RWD car... I'm sure that'll change next year when Justin and I drive his Civic SI.

Schnupper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black
Yeah, if you dive bomb corners, the front bar setup isn't for you. It requires you to be on point with being at the right speed at the start of the corner to get out on the gas as hard as you can. It's also a setup that works exceptionally well on the larger national style courses on concrete. You literally drive the car with the throttle. It took some getting used to but the difference in time is basically non-existent. Compared Solostorm data with another 2015 driver "back in the day" who ran the rear bar. He's faster into the corner but slower at the exit, we are faster at the exit and slower at the entrance. Depends on the style of course really. Ford did a pretty good job on the bar's from the factory compared to older cars. I prefer to drive with the throttle in a RWD car... I'm sure that'll change next year when Justin and I drive his Civic SI.
With my stock suspension pp car, I have learned to drive the car pretty much as described. Brake as late and as hard as possible, rotate the car while still on the brakes a bit, once you feel the car has rotated you can load up on throttle as your about to hit the apex of the turn. Once you are at the apex throttle till you feel the car squat, once it's squatted... hammer down. What i have learned is don't lift on exit of turn!! It will feel sketchy but the rear end will just pendulum swing following the front wheels. Any other type of driving with this car just didn't seem to work no matter what I tried. You absolutely cannot dive-bomb the corners with the stock suspension setup! All it does it make the cool noises of driver induced understeer and destroy your front tires. With that said I will be trying a front bar next year.

I also got to try out the new alignment and tire setup in dry weather on Sunday. It was on a smaller and less grippy lot, but I have over 100 runs on the rivals to compare it to. I am unsure how I like the RE71Rs in the dry.. They seemed twitchy to me compared to the rivals. They also had some weird transition feeling that I never felt on the rivals during turn in and corner exit. I felt as if the tires were rolling over but they were not. I will get some more testing in the next 3 events. So far I am leaning towards the rivals being better suited for me but we will see. Hopefully the weather stays dry!

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
With my stock suspension pp car, I have learned to drive the car pretty much as described. Brake as late and as hard as possible, rotate the car while still on the brakes a bit, once you feel the car has rotated you can load up on throttle as your about to hit the apex of the turn. Once you are at the apex throttle till you feel the car squat, once it's squatted... hammer down. What i have learned is don't lift on exit of turn!! It will feel sketchy but the rear end will just pendulum swing following the front wheels. Any other type of driving with this car just didn't seem to work no matter what I tried. You absolutely cannot dive-bomb the corners with the stock suspension setup! All it does it make the cool noises of driver induced understeer and destroy your front tires. With that said I will be trying a front bar next year.

I also got to try out the new alignment and tire setup in dry weather on Sunday. It was on a smaller and less grippy lot, but I have over 100 runs on the rivals to compare it to. I am unsure how I like the RE71Rs in the dry.. They seemed twitchy to me compared to the rivals. They also had some weird transition feeling that I never felt on the rivals during turn in and corner exit. I felt as if the tires were rolling over but they were not. I will get some more testing in the next 3 events. So far I am leaning towards the rivals being better suited for me but we will see. Hopefully the weather stays dry!
I have a set of mildly used Rival S 1.5 in 275/35R19 I'd happily trade for a similarly used RE71R...

Schnupper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black
I have a set of mildly used Rival S 1.5 in 275/35R19 I'd happily trade for a similarly used RE71R...
Hmmm. I really wanna see how they are at RT66 before i bite on that offer. I will be running the last 2 SCCA events. I cannot make it to the TSSCC this sunday :(

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I got to try out the new tires and alignment today. Went pretty well ended up taking 2nd in the Chicagoland scca event. Lost by .061 to an M3.
Wow. You are fast and accurate, make it look easy. I just rode along with Brian Peters this past Sunday in his 1LE and it was insane. What's your setup?

Schnupper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black
Wow. You are fast and accurate, make it look easy. I just rode along with Brian Peters this past Sunday in his 1LE and it was insane. What's your setup?
RE71r tires, 275 up front, 285 in rear, catback exhaust, front struts slotted per the ford service manual and alignment, drop in air filter, G-loc r6 pads.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
RE71r tires, 275 up front, 285 in rear, catback exhaust, front struts slotted per the ford service manual and alignment, drop in air filter, G-loc r6 pads.
You're on factory shocks and factory sway bars? Dude, that is some excellent driving. I wish you were local to me so I can get some tips.
Sponsored