Sponsored

Wow, I didn't realize how much a weighted shift knob would improve the feel of the MT-82!

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
Weird, on the momo site, it says 1lbs, but when you click on the "Choose an option" box, it goes down to 0.5 lbs....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Why don't websites post the weight of the shift knobs, sofa king annoying!
Best guess - unless it's specifically for a weighted shift knob, the people who compose the advertising don't have any idea that it makes any difference. Probably because shipping costs would be about the same.

Chances are pretty good that the people who write advertising copy don't ever drive manual transmission cars, let alone one with a weighted shift knob.

Norm

S550_Dillon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP 6SPD
Hey guys,

Help me make a decision!
I'm looking to get a weighted shift knob, but I don't know which weight to go with. My choices are between these 3 all from Shift Solutions Co...

BK-S 600 Grams
20190425_123547-jpg.jpg

BK-SH 460 Grams
img_4236-jpg.jpg

BK 700 Grams
we-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
The knob I bought was 550 grams, not sure I would want to go heavier than that. But, everybody has their own preference.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hey guys,

Help me make a decision!
I'm looking to get a weighted shift knob, but I don't know which weight to go with.
You could try adding stick-on wheel balance weights to your OE knob until you find what you like. Then remove the knob and weigh the total. Might want to use painter's tape on the OE knob and lever, and over the weights so you don't feel them individually as much. If you have to stick the weights lower on the knob or on the lever, go with the first option that is lighter than that.

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, does this mean some enterprising fellow should come up with a machined AL knob that can take "standard" tungsten slugs (eg. AR buffer inserts)? I'm going to pass on depleted U235 though.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Following this....I just ordered an MGW short throw x-spec standard handle 21% reduction in throw yesterday. I was set on buying a Raceseng nob that weighed in at 1.5 lbs. However, I was advised by MGW that that was just too heavy of a knob. MGW sells them and their heaviest comes in at 1/2 lb with the jam nut. So, what are the pros and cons to weighted knobs? I just daily drive my car and do not track it.
Nice to know but its huge.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Following this....I just ordered an MGW short throw x-spec standard handle 21% reduction in throw yesterday. I was set on buying a Raceseng nob that weighed in at 1.5 lbs. However, I was advised by MGW that that was just too heavy of a knob. MGW sells them and their heaviest comes in at 1/2 lb with the jam nut. So, what are the pros and cons to weighted knobs? I just daily drive my car and do not track it.
They probably recommend that to avoid damaging your shift forks...

I mean makes sense right, it's like driving with your hand not only resting on the shifter but tugging on it... That's why you don't want to go too heavy with a shift knob.

Also It may not be a bad idea to go no heavier than the gt350 knob for the stock mt82 shifter. And on a barton or MGW which are more precisely aligned and gives you the ability to fine tune adjust the shifter you can run heavier.

Not making a declarative saying, I have no science or data to back up my statements...

I just ordered my anarchy motive and about to get the Barton hybrid 3 so I'll follow up

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
i have one the heaviest Raceseng shift knob (Ashiko) at 735 grams. I have had it for a year, first on the stock shift, now (since March) on the MGW X Spec low profile. Shifts are better than ever to me ...unless its one of those ticking time bomb things although i hope not. I had the stock knob on it for a few days and the raceseng feels much better. Then again if it has to do with anything I am a bigger guy

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
i have one the heaviest Raceseng shift knob (Ashiko) at 735 grams. I have had it for a year, first on the stock shift, now (since March) on the MGW X Spec low profile. Shifts are better than ever to me ...unless its one of those ticking time bomb things although i hope not. I had the stock knob on it for a few days and the raceseng feels much better. Then again if it has to do with anything I am a bigger guy
You arent going to wear out forks that quickly... Especially on a relatively brand new transmission.

When i said reduced life its more like if the forks were designed to survive 120k miles they'll survive 50k miles...

That said just my opinion in response to what MGW said about 1/2lb being the heaviest they'll go.

Knowing MGW theyre mostlikely being more conservative and overbuilding so 1lb is probably fine but that said I would trust a heavy knob on a aftermarket shifter more than on the stock shifter.

Some one who builds these trannies like Ben calimer and knows the clearances of the forks may be able to answer if this even is an issue

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
If you really want a significant improvement in shifting feel, consider swapping the transmission fluid for something like BG Synchroshift II:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bg-synchroshift-ii-first-impressions.87513/#post-2254078

and adding a shifter bracket like the one from Blowfish Racing:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/blowfish-bracket-installed.87666/#post-2219743

I did both of those, and found the transformation to be remarkable. It feels like a completely different shifting experience, the way the transmission should have felt in the first place. I also swapped the shift knob for a steel one from Anarchy Motive, which feels much better, but the biggest improvements for me were from a combination of the BG Synchroshift II and especially the Blowfish Racing bracket.
shifter2.JPG

jpogi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Black Accent pkg
One pro of a lightweight knob is that it makes your hand more sensitive to the slightest resistance while going in gear. That in turn will make you adjust the the force of your arm till you feel an opening between gear teeth.

Of course, this doesn’t matter if you power thru with your right hand, like when you’re racing. So a heavier knob will definitely feel smoother, because it absorbs some of those faint resistance in the engagement between gears.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I finally got my anarchy motive knob. Its awesome made a massive difference but it reaffirmed my hunch that the weighted shifter is better when paired with an aftermarket shifter. My new knob feels alot higher and in some shifts I can feel more slop in the stock shifter.

I'll be putting in my Barton tomorrow so excited to see what that does for it.

That said this is definitely in the top 5 must do mods to a s550
Sponsored