swapping the GT350 rear valance onto my GT Premium

Mustangpaul05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17GT PP/ 04 cobra / 86 GT
Hi - I have the GT350 rear valance on order. It has the fake tips in it. I am planning to put it on my 17 GT Premium.

Any suggestions on an exhaust that will install nicely that is not too aggressive sounding? I am not into the overly loud mustangs (unless they're older)

Anything to watch out for on the install?

Should I get this part to compliment it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2017-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

hoping I can get some tips and advice here. Thank you to all who are kind enough to lend a hand.
Sponsored

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
I installed the GT350 valence with the Borla Sport exhaust onto my 17 GT Premium and it took about 2 hours on a lift. The scariest part is just having to saw off the bumper insert but it's not as bad as it sounds.

OP
OP
Mustangpaul05

Mustangpaul05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
I installed the GT350 valence with the Borla Sport exhaust onto my 17 GT Premium and it took about 2 hours on a lift. The scariest part is just having to saw off the bumper insert but it's not as bad as it sounds.
It actually sounds horrifying to cut up the original part lol. Any chance you have a picture of how it came out?

Boston23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPP Ingot Silver
The Ebay part that you linked is for the GT350 close out panel. It’s a bit beat up but it will be under the car so you won’t see it. That said, it will only work with the OEM GT350 rear valance. Not sure it will work with aftermarket GT350 valances without modifications. As for the big question, I believe Borla sells both an axle back and catback but both units come with the valance as a kit and not sold separately. Corsa sells a catback for the actual 350 which lines up with the valance but doesn’t fit the GT. I don’t think there is anything off the shelf that will line up with built in tips but I’d be interested if you do find something. Other members in your situation have fabricated the tips on the muffler to align with the valance which may include modifying the hanger. It’s trial an error but can be done.

Last edited:

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
There’s this

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5200-M8

It’ll line up with the tips on the balance but I’m not sure they sell the exhaust separate from the balance. Maybe you can return yours and buy this one? Probably a good option for you since you can either have it be loud or close a tip and have it be quieter. Downside is that’s it’s expensive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mustangpaul05

Mustangpaul05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
The Ebay part that you linked is for the GT350 close out panel. It’s a bit beat up but it will be under the car so you won’t see it. That said, it will only work with the OEM GT350 rear valance. Not sure it will work with aftermarket GT350 valances without modifications. As for the big question, I believe Borla sells both an axle back and catback but both units come with the valance as a kit and not sold separately. Corsa sells a catback for the actual 350 which lines up with the valance but doesn’t fit the GT. I don’t think there is anything off the shelf that will line up with built in tips but I’d be interested if you do find something. Other members in your situation have fabricated the tips on the muffler to align with the valance which may include modifying the hanger. It’s trial an error but can be done.
Thank you for all this intel! if I got stock mufflers from a GT350 - do you think they would fit the GT? I see someone has them on eBay for like 350. I would probably be happy with that since I don't want this car too loud.

Does the close out panel do anything? I am going to google it now..but I'd like your opinion also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mustangpaul05

Mustangpaul05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
There’s this

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5200-M8

It’ll line up with the tips on the balance but I’m not sure they sell the exhaust separate from the balance. Maybe you can return yours and buy this one? Probably a good option for you since you can either have it be loud or close a tip and have it be quieter. Downside is that’s it’s expensive.
I’m actually getting a valance off a gt350 part-out so finding the separate exhaust is on me. I got it for like 160 shipped (damn shipping from Texas to New York!!!) so I have some wiggle room on exhaust

jkartchner10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the GT350 rear valence and removed the fake tips.

Purchased an "AWE Touring Edition Cat-back Exhaust for 15-17 S550 Mustang GT - Quad Outlet - Diamond Black Tips (GT350 Valance)" directly from them and it fits perfectly and sounds great with no drone.

I'll try and upload some photos this weekend for you.

Boston23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPP Ingot Silver
Thank you for all this intel! if I got stock mufflers from a GT350 - do you think they would fit the GT? I see someone has them on eBay for like 350. I would probably be happy with that since I don't want this car too loud.

Does the close out panel do anything? I am going to google it now..but I'd like your opinion also.

Boston23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPP Ingot Silver
The close out panel is for air flow under the GT350. No real added benefit other than keeping gravel and road debris out of your rear bumper and the lower valance. As for the GT350 mufflers, the piping size is different between the two cars so the muffler from the GT350 would need to be stepped down before welding to your mid pipe. In addition the motors on the GT350 mufflers wouldn’t function. Also not sure what the Exhaust note would be as it was designed for the Voodoo motor and not the Coyote. I’ve googled it and haven’t found any one that’s done a muffler swap or full catback swap from the 350 to the GT. There is a thread on the forum of a member that modified mufflers from the older GT500 to fit the GT350 valance. Not sure it’s worth the effort to fab GT350 mufflers with all the unknowns, especially what it would sound like even if you could mate it up.

Sponsored

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
what do you mean saw off bumper insert? I have Borla Touring catback which are single exhaust tip.. did you keep the single exhaust tip or y pipe for exhaust tip inlet on the valance?

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
what do you mean saw off bumper insert? I have Borla Touring catback which are single exhaust tip.. did you keep the single exhaust tip or y pipe for exhaust tip inlet on the valance?
Premium package Mustangs have a middle piece in the bumper that needs to be removed for the GT350 valence.

I got the whole package so it has the quad tip exhaust. So I have the exact same setup as a GT350 exhaust.

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Premium package Mustangs have a middle piece in the bumper that needs to be removed for the GT350 valence.

I got the whole package so it has the quad tip exhaust. So I have the exact same setup as a GT350 exhaust.
Gotcha, makes sense. I ended up getting this sweet deal for $1k since I have a base bumper. Now trying to figure out what tips I need to replace the ones on my Borla Touring. Not sure is just y pipe or tips to remove the ones on the valance.
Screenshot_20190926-230129~2.png
Screenshot_20190926-230110~2.png

OP
OP
Mustangpaul05

Mustangpaul05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha, makes sense. I ended up getting this sweet deal for $1k since I have a base bumper. Now trying to figure out what tips I need to replace the ones on my Borla Touring. Not sure is just y pipe or tips to remove the ones on the valance.
Screenshot_20190926-230129~2.png
Screenshot_20190926-230110~2.png
I haven't got around to putting mine in yet :( so many mustang projects. I got the 350 mufflers also, so I have to figure out a rig to make them open and close without the stock switch. It doesn't seem like rocket science, just reversing polarities. Good luck with the swap! And I hope the blacks match up well..such a tricky color (but aren't they all in a way)

Silveryote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I recently bought a nice used Oem GT 350 lower valance and installed it on. My GT. Yep I had to cut the painted lower section out of my GT premium bumper. It was simple. I did not use the fake exhaust tip bezels from the gt 350 valance. I already had Roush Axel backs with clamp on single tips on my '15. I searched and found a pair of clamp on quad tips on eBay that were actually for a Subaru but the perfect sizes I needed. I had to cut some of the length off of the fronts of the tips where they contact the muffler's because they ended up a tad too long once installed. I clamped them on and presto it worked out with the Gt350 valance.
IMG_20190914_134525732_HDR.jpg
Sponsored