Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
I’ve had the Procharger on for almost 3 years. Never have blown a charge pipe or lost a clamp.....and I race quite a bit!
So you would have the silicon piping as well then...well thats good news!
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Does anyone think I should be concerned about the silicon pieces when pulleying down?
For reference, I just bought some silicone elbows to try and address the outlet tube on the Procharger and they are 5 ply and rated at 200 psi Burst strength. I think even a thinner silicone tube would hold far more pressure than what the blower could put on it.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Well I guess since mine is a very early kit it uses silicon for most of the piping. But I wasn’t concerned about charge pipe blow out but rather inlet collapse ( which frankly I wasn’t even concerned about until I caught wind of the possibility.)

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Thanks for the update...honestly super helpful!
Those are some good numbers! Stock drive line??? Honestly probably a little more than i want to make if i'm being honest...(i'm more the cautious type haha) Maybe i should run the 3.5" pulley hmmm...

Only difference on my end will be fuel. Az only has 91 so instead i'll be running e85 (more likely e54-e60, which should put me right about 101-102 oct.)

You running catless?
I feel like i dont have any option but to install cats...AZ does the OBDII test and no tuner will assure me that i can pass emissions without cats....
I'm sure you already know this, but our 91 octane in AZ is absolutely CRAP! I asked Jon Lund Jr. about switching to E85 (E54 here in AZ) and he told me not to bother and that it's horrible too. This is exactly why I'm running an Alky Control Meth system. Jon told me our fuel here is as bad as anywhere in the country. Sucks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure you already know this, but our 91 octane in AZ is absolutely CRAP! I asked Jon Lund Jr. about switching to E85 (E54 here in AZ) and he told me not to bother and that it's horrible too. This is exactly why I'm running an Alky Control Meth system. Jon told me our fuel here is as bad as anywhere in the country. Sucks!
I thought about running meth but Lund said they won’t tune for it... just take advantage of the cooling. I’m not an expert by any means and he would know much better than me but Lund saying it’s not worth running E is a little confusing... if you read all the most recent research, it seems the knock resistance of e fuel is definitely more logarithmic than it first appears by just looking at the estimated octane. Plus if you just take simple E+gas octane approximations...it would seem that our E would take us to around 100Oct. which costs about $8-9 a gallon. after a year or so of filling up would pay for my fuel system. At least that’s what I’m thinking. Anything wrong with my logic?

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Jon won't tune for it as it pertains to "removing fuel" from the calibration to accommodate large amounts of methanol. The wideband's on these cars will pull fuel once the meth starts spraying to a point which is what I'm doing and it works great. If you are looking to go crazy and run a bunch of boost/timing and meth than Jon will likely say no. However if you are looking for an easy way to add timing the setup works great. Jon "allows" my car to add timing up to around 19-20deg with the meth spraying. My car goes rich momentarily but then quickly returns to commanded AFR once the O2 sensors do their thing. Pretty cool if you ask me. Lund seems to be very conservative which I like. Your car being a GEN2 with less compression will also help you with our bad fuel BTW.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Jon won't tune for it as it pertains to "removing fuel" from the calibration to accommodate large amounts of methanol. The wideband's on these cars will pull fuel once the meth starts spraying to a point which is what I'm doing and it works great. If you are looking to go crazy and run a bunch of boost/timing and meth than Jon will likely say no. However if you are looking for an easy way to add timing the setup works great. Jon "allows" my car to add timing up to around 19-20deg with the meth spraying. My car goes rich momentarily but then quickly returns to commanded AFR once the O2 sensors do their thing. Pretty cool if you ask me. Lund seems to be very conservative which I like. Your car being a GEN2 with less compression will also help you with our bad fuel BTW.
Ok that’s good to know...
Just curious...How much power are you making with your set up?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
FWIW I was able to get Lund to pull fuel for meth after some bitching, lol. I said I would take all responsibility and offered to sign a waiver (15psi, 22* timing, gen 2)

E85 is better overall, but meth is a solid alternative (and cheaper)

Next year I'm moving to a direct port meth system with a built motor, ~17psi, ~23* timing, 11.5 or 12:1 compression is my goal. Not sure I'll be able to get Lund on board with that one though, lol.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
FWIW I was able to get Lund to pull fuel for meth after some bitching, lol. I said I would take all responsibility and offered to sign a waiver (15psi, 22* timing, gen 2)

Next year I'm moving to a direct port meth system with a built motor, ~17psi, ~23* timing, 11.5 or 12:1 compression is my goal. Not sure I'll be able to get Lund on board with that one though, lol.
Are you spraying 100% methanol? How much do you go through in say, a tank of gas?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)

Are you spraying 100% methanol? How much do you go through in say, a tank of gas?
Also, do you have any failsafe systems in place? if so, what is it set up like?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
60/40 on the current setup. It only injects under boost so it varies greatly depending on your driving (and nozzle sizing). I can go several weeks usually without filling the tank.

On very spirited driving I've gone through a tank in about 5-600 miles. My tank is about 4 gallons and I have 20GPH total in nozzles. I believe my 600 mile run was when I was running 12 or 14GPH though, so I would expect a little less now. On long trips I bring some with me. Rough guess would be 2 gallons of meth per tank of fuel, but thats only going WOT every chance I get on empty roads lol.

Also, do you have any failsafe systems in place? if so, what is it set up like?
On the current setup no. Fully operational knock sensors are your failsafe. If the meth doesnt work for some reason, it will pick up knock when trying to run more timing than you can on 93 octane alone, and pull timing back down to a safe level. Knock sensors can pull up to 10 degrees.

On my next setup which is a little more on the edge I don't trust the knock sensors alone, but on a moderate setup they will work. I've done WOT with the meth barely spraying and timing was pulled accordingly. For the big system I'm going to run a double failsafe. One that maps meth line pressure and one that maps AFR versus the boost curve and if it falls out of normal spec it will trigger my boost controller to cut boost as low as possible.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
60/40 on the current setup. It only injects under boost so it varies greatly depending on your driving (and nozzle sizing). I can go several weeks usually without filling the tank.

On very spirited driving I've gone through a tank in about 5-600 miles. My tank is about 4 gallons and I have 20GPH total in nozzles. I believe my 600 mile run was when I was running 12 or 14GPH though, so I would expect a little less now. On long trips I bring some with me. Rough guess would be 2 gallons of meth per tank of fuel, but thats only going WOT every chance I get on empty roads lol.

On the current setup no. Fully operational knock sensors are your failsafe. If the meth doesnt work for some reason, it will pick up knock when trying to run more timing than you can on 93 octane alone, and pull timing back down to a safe level. Knock sensors can pull up to 10 degrees.

On my next setup which is a little more on the edge I don't trust the knock sensors alone, but on a moderate setup they will work. I've done WOT with the meth barely spraying and timing was pulled accordingly. For the big system I'm going to run a double failsafe. One that maps meth line pressure and one that maps AFR versus the boost curve and if it falls out of normal spec it will trigger my boost controller to cut boost as low as possible.
Couple more questions if you dont mind...

At what point in the intake are you injecting?...and how do you determine nozzle size needed?

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I figure I’ll ask for forgiveness later ;)....

If anyone has the stock plastic procharger inlet/filter they’re looking to sell, please let me know!
Sponsored