Sponsored

Wow, I didn't realize how much a weighted shift knob would improve the feel of the MT-82!

omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Definitely felt a major difference, I have a Raceseng Ashiko (picture below, mine is the same). It was heavier than what I wanted, but I really liked the style and the size of the grip. With the stock or other smaller after-market options, my big claws would invariably find a way to touch the reverse lockout collar all the time and it'd freak me out. I also tend to pistol-grip gears 1, 2, and 6, so this style just feels really comfortable. The weight does feel like it helps some of the throws, especially my ridiculously notchy 3-4 pull. Just have to be a little more careful about going into neutral because if you just tap it, it can literally go from, say, 6th to 5th really easy.

Really no thermal issues and the car sits outside. Unless it's in direct sunlight, it stays cool. Yeah, it can get cold in the winter, but it's not like a piece of plastic wrapped in fake whatever is all warm 'n cuddly.
ashiko-red-translucent-gate-1_22.jpg
I'm eyeballing the same knob. A little worried itll feel a bit too big in my average sized hand.
Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Anybody tried Twisted Shifterz? I've been looking at some of their knobs, looks good on the webpage, prices fit my budget. https://www.twistedshifterz.com/

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I recently installed a new Bullitt cue ball shift knob and I absolutely love the feel. Not sure if it is any more weighted than the original.

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
I'm glad to hear it's not just in my head and that others agree the weight helps to smooth out the MT-82. Regardless of weight, the factory knob is way to small! I don't want a shift pattern on top, and I really wish someone made a weighted knob wrapped in leather! I would love a short throw shifter, but I can't believe how much work it is to install! I love my Fiero shift knob, LOL!

IMG_1203.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
I also can't believe how many shift knobs are out there for sale, American Muscle, CJ Pony Parts, Ebay, etc.... that regardless of heavier or lighter than stock, do not post the weight! WTH?

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm glad to hear it's not just in my head and that others agree the weight helps to smooth out the MT-82. Regardless of weight, the factory knob is way to small! I don't want a shift pattern on top, and I really wish someone made a weighted knob wrapped in leather! I would love a short throw shifter, but I can't believe how much work it is to install! I love my Fiero shift knob, LOL!

IMG_1203.PNG
Shift patterns for manual transmission cars have been required per FMVSS 102 since at least as far back as 2005, with only a single exception.
S3.2 Manual transmissions. Identification of the shift lever pattern of manual transmissions, except three forward speed manual transmissions having the standard “H” pattern, shall be displayed in view of the driver at all times when a driver is present in the driver's seating position.

Norm

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

IMG_1203.PNG
Lathewerks does offer leather wraps for their weighted shifters.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
IMG_0482.jpg
BK-S Shift Solutions 600gr. Matte black with "Need for Green" engraving. Also have a Steeda Tri - Ax shifter and Steeda derlin reverse lock out collar. Love the weighted knob!

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Shift patterns for manual transmission cars have been required per FMVSS 102 since at least as far back as 2005, with only a single exception.
Norm
I doubt the cops are going to give me a ticket for not having a shift pattern displayed in my car. Just being a smart a$$, lol.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Following this....I just ordered an MGW short throw x-spec standard handle 21% reduction in throw yesterday. I was set on buying a Raceseng nob that weighed in at 1.5 lbs. However, I was advised by MGW that that was just too heavy of a knob. MGW sells them and their heaviest comes in at 1/2 lb with the jam nut. So, what are the pros and cons to weighted knobs? I just daily drive my car and do not track it.
Ive been running Raceseng knobs since 2014 on all of my cars. I personally like the Slammer over the Ashiko. I run a MGW and no problems. I bought their blue 5.0 knob and had it maybe a month and couldnt take it anymore, Ordered my Slammer when it was on a deeply discounted black friday clearance sale. I usually do the translucent finishes but the metallic was such a great deal. I keep buying them (this is my 5th) because i do believe they make a difference and worth the quality.
IMG_7434(Edited).jpg

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I doubt the cops are going to give me a ticket for not having a shift pattern displayed in my car. Just being a smart a$$, lol.
There's a better than even chance that my '08 is going to get a Tremec some time in the not too distant future. There's an excellent chance it'll have my '08's OE (5-speed) knob sitting on top of the shift lever.

But that's you and me on an individual basis, not some company in the business of supplying the auto industry.

Norm

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP

IMG_1203.PNG
MGW does...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OP
OP

tomnelsonii