Sponsored

911 vs GT350 Motortrend: Which is the Better All-Around Sports Car?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I love the gt350 but man the fuel economy in the porsche would be nice. 25 avg vs 16? big difference
What would be nice about it? Spending $143K to save a buck on gas?
Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I adore the 430 but I agree, it's not going to stand above either of these cars.

Maintenance costs alone put that thing into a different territory. The rule of thumb is to budget $2.50/mile out of warranty for repairs and maintenance.

It's not something you can do yourself either, not because it's not possible for the average gear head to do the maintenance, but if you don't have service records from a Ferrari dealer you'll lose more money in resale than the cost of having them do the work.
Please elaborate? Iā€™ve had a 360 for a decade now and besides $1800 belts every 5 years (and the f430 doesnā€™t need this and has timing chains), what is not possible to do maintenance wise? DIY oil costs the same as my gt350r. Brakes cost the same too (although there is no comparison in quality lol). Tires are actually a little less. The 360 gets wayyy better gas mileage. Both will do great in depreciation, my the Ferrari is worth more today than I paid 10 years ago. Insurance is the same for me. Used values are also pretty similar at the moment too.

Its just a car. Iā€™ve been able to do all the maintenance myself. I even tracked it 7 or so times. Yes the modern R is more capable, but not a massive margin over a f430. As an ā€œeventā€ on street or on a track, itā€™s about preference just as much as looks. I will admit I did stop tracking it bc I was concerned of something happening and not having a warranty, the R with a 8 year warranty solves that.

I also had a 911 turbo for 9 years. Cost me pretty much the same to own as my 360. Actually, road driving costs are a drop in the bucket compared to the 16 tires and 5 sets of brakes my R gobbles doing 15-20 track days, but at least there is a warranty.

Edit: the loss of value for not having dealer do work is overstated and probably way disadvantageous except in the v12 or limited models). Some people put a high value on it, usually the ones who garage queen them. Others are rational and realize a oil change is an oil change, keep your receipts and records!
99874AFE-B05C-4C4E-B25E-945515DC9DF4.jpeg

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
^ I think you're one of the select or handful of unique exceptions. Kudos to you of course, and nice rides too! You do save a bundle by DIY'ing.... many Ferrari owners still rely on indy or dealership shops for maintenance and repairs. So the parts/labor costs compared to a Mustang or 350 is quite a difference.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, Porsche's are like trees around here... everywhere you look there's one (Cayenne, 911's, Macan's, you name it. Mixed with a plethora of moving obstacles, i.e. Audi Q5's driven by soccer mums) . How many times you looked back after seeing a Porsche? Me? Never. Another rich guy who owns a beetle, so what. A Ferrari? People pull their phones immediately to take pictures.
Let's be serious, it's not about track times and who's faster. It's about owing a piece of history of Motorsport. I buy my cars with my heart not with my head... It would be probably the only car I would never sell after paid off; but as you guys said each to it's own :)

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Please elaborate? Iā€™ve had a 360 for a decade now and besides $1800 belts every 5 years (and the f430 doesnā€™t need this and has timing chains), what is not possible to do maintenance wise? DIY oil costs the same as my gt350r. Brakes cost the same too (although there is no comparison in quality lol). Tires are actually a little less. The 360 gets wayyy better gas mileage. Both will do great in depreciation, my the Ferrari is worth more today than I paid 10 years ago. Insurance is the same for me. Used values are also pretty similar at the moment too.

Its just a car. Iā€™ve been able to do all the maintenance myself. I even tracked it 7 or so times. Yes the modern R is more capable, but not a massive margin over a f430. As an ā€œeventā€ on street or on a track, itā€™s about preference just as much as looks. I will admit I did stop tracking it bc I was concerned of something happening and not having a warranty, the R with a 8 year warranty solves that.

I also had a 911 turbo for 9 years. Cost me pretty much the same to own as my 360. Actually, road driving costs are a drop in the bucket compared to the 16 tires and 5 sets of brakes my R gobbles doing 15-20 track days, but at least there is a warranty.

Edit: the loss of value for not having dealer do work is overstated and probably way disadvantageous except in the v12 or limited models). Some people put a high value on it, usually the ones who garage queen them. Others are rational and realize a oil change is an oil change, keep your receipts and records!
I want to be you when I grow up.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
The Cup 2's that now come on the GT350 aren't the track focused Cup 2's that are on the R or available for Porsche. These new Cup 2's on the GT350 are more of a street tire carrying the Cup 2 name.
I'm pretty sure this assumption is incorrect. The only difference is the size of the tire. A Cup 2 is a Cup 2 no matter what it's on.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
@torque124- At least you see Porsches galore there.... there are plenty here in South FL also but in this land of pretentiousness- there are Lambos and McLarens all over. Phones whip out for those types of cars.... but I buy my cars for myself- not to bling and leisurely cruise as an eye candy for others.

Anyway back to the article.... their closing statements are quite accurate, at least for me. I'ved gone thru Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, Bimmers, Vipers, and other fun way below $100K cars (no Ferraris Lambos or McLarens for me though) and at the end of the day- the 911 is truly the best all around (cost aside). I know opinions will vary and keep in mind the GT350 is absolutely phenomenal and IMO still the best factory Mustang to get. But drive hard a later model 911 for some time (no not just one day) and you'll realize why these writers still continue to praise it even against higher horsepower'ed performance cars.

"So which car is the better all-around sports car? Both cars are within inches of each other in the drive experience department, but if cost is no object, we're taking the 911 Carrera S. The Shelby GT350 is a phenomenal car and easily one of the best Fords ever made (high praise for a 116-year-old company), but the Porsche's approachability and its singular focus on the driving experience won out with our editors. Simply put, no other car on the road offers supercar levels of performance in such a driver-friendly package. It's a car that pushes you to be at your limits, and just when you reach that crest, it reveals a new layer for you to conquer."

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
A Cup 2 is a Cup 2 no matter what it's on
retail-bought Cup2s you're probably correct. OEM Cup2's can be specialized - just because they can. There's probably some code on the sidewall that differentiates compounds and construction despite the marketing (trade) name being the same. It's VERY common practice in motorcycle tires.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

I have a customer who bought a 430 and I spent some time researching about the costs. It may not be the case for every car but from what I gather it's to make sure you know what you are getting into.

As for the dealer service, my brother in law has made himself decent money going that route. He buys cars (M5s, 911s, Cayennes, etc) that don't have any real dealer service history or have a slightly tattered past. He cleans them up, does minimal work and sends them along for a fair profit. He specifically chooses these cars because they seem to get left behind on values. Lately Gallardo's and GTRs have been on his list but he has been holding off on the flipping game right now. He picked up a perfect condition 997 Turbo 6 speed for under $40k early last year, the best we can figure is because it has limited service history. Like cars with records were all in the $55k-$60k range.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I like my 350, and Iā€™ve had two 911ā€™s....and when I get a garage with two or more spaces Iā€™ll get another one. At most Iā€™d get a 991.1....not a 991.2 or a 992. Pay 60ish K for a 997.1 or 997.2, keep up on the maintenance and you will never lose money on it. I admit to liking the 996 GT3 too, so shoot me.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I'm pretty sure this assumption is incorrect. The only difference is the size of the tire. A Cup 2 is a Cup 2 no matter what it's on.
Definitely not the same. Billy Johnson, who was involved in the tire development of the 2019 GT350, has specifically said the new GT350 (non R) compound is a more street friendly compound. Furthermore, the compound for the R Cup 2 was developed specifically for the R. That's why the Cup 2's in identical size for the R and for Porsche have different model numbers. The Porsche has a deeper tread, which is why a few of us run the Porsche spec Cup 2 on the fronts of our R's. I have new R spec Cup 2's sitting next to Porsche spec Cup 2's in my garage and you can visually see the difference. The Porsche spec ones also tend to be slightly more expensive than the R spec ones.

Hereā€™s the post from Billy stating the 2019 GT350 Cup 2ā€™s are more equivalent to the old PSSā€™s than the Cup 2ā€™s on the R. Part of the issue is Michelin is now throwing the Cup 2 name around for branding.
2019 Base GT350 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s in the Rain?

Last edited:

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently the C7Z cup 2 is the softest cup 2 out there. I can't remember where I read it, maybe Billy said it.

The cup 2s on the Ford GT aren't nearly as soft, some guys are getting 20k out of a set.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I like my 350, and Iā€™ve had two 911ā€™s....and when I get a garage with two or more spaces Iā€™ll get another one. At most Iā€™d get a 991.1....not a 991.2 or a 992. Pay 60ish K for a 997.1 or 997.2, keep up on the maintenance and you will never lose money on it. I admit to liking the 996 GT3 too, so shoot me.
Good choices. The 996 GT3 with the Mezger is the best bang for the buck P-GT car right now... and close is the 7.1 version but Iā€™m seeing them breaching $100K (wholesale) sooner or later.

This past spring I rented a meteor gray 997.1 Carrera S manual cab via Turo for a few days in CA.... that was such a fun car to take through Mulholland and Angeles Crest. Love the fun countryside roads there! I can only imagine if in a GT350 or a GT3.

And I did run into one.... :)

499CFB94-D6C9-4D80-B1B8-8458A7CDE721.jpeg

1F8B156E-A590-4AAD-B987-BB702988B15A.jpeg
Sponsored