2020 Shelby GT500 OTT Painted Stripes - Painting Process

Tim_bits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timmer
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram and 2020 GT500
I would gladly pay for whatever the cost of these bags would be. It’s looking more and more like a winter arrival and I cringe at the amount of salt and sand that could be on the roads during the shipping process
Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
Looks like a huge facility. I've always heard good things about them.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Quite the shop.....

Class A!

I'm happy to get such extra special paint and I seriously doubt it will be just a quick spray of the stripes

Screenshot (61).png

high-bake-paint-gallery3.jpg

high-bake-paint-gallery1.jpg

high-bake-paint-gallery7.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
It wouldn't surprise me if they repainted the whole car. You cant take work away from a union shop and think that they will just standby and let it happen. We will see.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
As stated by many in this thread, modern paints have a "recoat" window. Outside the recoat window a chemical bond is no longer possible and the only option is a scuff to allow a mechanical bond.

As stated, metallics (and i believe multi color) can't be scuffed and then cleared.

My guess is ford paints them with something so they don't get any corrosion started, probably their usual primer and base if the two are integrated, since that's whats in the plant, they have by the thousands of gallons, and is bought cheap, then Penske is going to take it down, maybe not all of it off, but a lot off, re bases then stripes then back to Ford for clear (or not, looking at all Penske's capabilities in those pictures).

Also possible that for an easier mask job, the stripe color is layed down first, then masked and the rest of the car painted, then cleared. I suspect if that was being done that way, people could tell as the stripe would be slightly below the rest of the paint, not on top.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
As stated by many in this thread, modern paints have a "recoat" window. Outside the recoat window a chemical bond is no longer possible and the only option is a scuff to allow a mechanical bond.

As stated, metallics (and i believe multi color) can't be scuffed and then cleared.

My guess is ford paints them with something so they don't get any corrosion started, probably their usual primer and base if the two are integrated, since that's whats in the plant, they have by the thousands of gallons, and is bought cheap, then Penske is going to take it down, maybe not all of it off, but a lot off, re bases then stripes then back to Ford for clear (or not, looking at all Penske's capabilities in those pictures).

Also possible that for an easier mask job, the stripe color is layed down first, then masked and the rest of the car painted, then cleared. I suspect if that was being done that way, people could tell as the stripe would be slightly below the rest of the paint, not on top.
Aka a $10k paint job. I'm cool with that.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Aka a $10k paint job. I'm cool with that.
As am I, Tom. Plus, Harry and others have said just how gorgeous the result is.

I would simply like to know what the whole process is start to finish.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Also possible that for an easier mask job, the stripe color is layed down first, then masked and the rest of the car painted
Chrysler used to do that for some cars.